Who is the next O's player to be traded for a prospect and when?

wildcard

While the O's may clear spots on the 40 man roster by trading players like Wright, Susac and Hart sometime during the off season for players to be named later or cash, they are not likely to bring  back a prospect that will help the O's.   The next player I think will be traded that brings back a decent prospect is Richard Bleier during Spring Training.

All Bleier has to do in ST is show he is healthy.  His past two years in the majors has shown he can be a valuable reliever.   The O's will be able to get a decent prospect in return.   Though Bleier will still be cheap this coming season, he will turn 32  on April 16th.   He is too old to help with the O's next playoff run.  He may in the next season or two begin to decline, so now is the time to sell - as soon as he is healthy.

Players like Villar, Givens, Trumbo, and Cashner are all coming off poor seasons that have limited the return that the O's can get for them.   Giving them the 1st half of the season to regain some value will hopefully help their return at the deadline.   

So Bleier is my choice for the next player to be traded that brings a decent prospect in return.  

Who do you think is next?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Givens. Before spring training begins.  I think he'll use the upcoming meeting to gauge interest in the remaining players then spend a month or two getting a better understanding of the organization before dismantling anything further.

14 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Givens. Before spring training begins.  I think he'll use the upcoming meeting to gauge interest in the remaining players then spend a month or two getting a better understanding of the organization before dismantling anything further.

Givens was my first thought. Just a guess though.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he could try to build Givens value as a closer. I think he will try to fix Bundy before eventually trading him. 

Villar will almost certainly be traded but I don't see any reason to rush since he is not blocking anyone and we need an infield.

I don't think many teams value saves anymore.

I don't see any major trades coming before the season.  What's the rush?

Like others have said, let these guys build some value. 

Cobb, Bundy, and Givens in particular are poised for better seasons than in 18.  So they can be moved around the deadline.  By then, you could also have prospects like Kremer, Akin, and Lowther ready to step in the rotation.  We need bodies to start the season. 

Archived