Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Brandon is now the youngest Orioles manager since Johnny Oates. I wonder if Mike was purposely looking for a younger manager. I am very excited to see what Brandon can do.

At 6' 3", Hyde is tied with the Rabbit (Miller) and the Vulture (Regan) as the tallest.  5'7" Weaver was the most successful, followed by 5'9" Showalter.

24 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Brandon is now the youngest Orioles manager since Johnny Oates. I wonder if Mike was purposely looking for a younger manager. I am very excited to see what Brandon can do.

I was watching a Hot Stove clip yesterday, Rosenthal, Reynolds and the other guy, talking O's and younger managers in general. Said managers and coaches need to connect with the younger generation of players. Ken said Maddon was reading Millennials for Dummies.  ?

The  O's now have a GM who was a AGM on the 2017 AL World Champions that went  through a rebuild.

And

The O's now have a Field Manager who was a coach on the 2016 NL World Champions that went through a rebuild.

I think they have the rebuild territory  covered.   Think they may know some baseball people from successful organizations?  

Really like the direction we are heading in with this hire. Young, analytics-focused but yet with a wealth of experience and much of that gained with a championship winning side who had gone through a rebuild. On paper at least, it sounds a perfect fit.

The whole rebuild thing baseball clubs do is a little alien to me, as it never happens in football (soccer) over here - mainly due to the financial cost of relegation, which doesn't exist in MLB so this whole process is fascinating, if a little brutal at times. Saying that though, some of the principles of team building are surely universal, and if you are going to populate a team from prospects and young players you still need more experienced heads to help those prospects make the transition to the big leagues. I know we still have Davis, but I'd like to see us in for some experience as well to bolster those clubhouse leadership positions. It's such a shame AJ has gone as he would have been a great role model and captain, but I'm sure there are others out there who can do a similar role.

Last season was a mess and it felt like we were going backwards. Next season may not be great results wise, but it does feel like we are making significant strides forward now, and it will be fascinating to watch. 

Elias and Hyde seem perfect fits for the organisation. Can't wait to see what they do together in the future.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

The  O's now have a GM who was a AGM on the 2017 AL World Champions that went  through a rebuild.

And

The O's now have a Field Manager who was a coach on the 2016 NL World Champions that went through a rebuild.

I think they have the rebuild territory  covered.   Think they may know some baseball people from successful organizations?  

If you don't consider the Cubs and Astros to be successful organizations, which organizations are, and do any of them consistently have a payroll below $150m?  

Archived