MASN New Year's 1970 WS

scOtt

Thanks for the heads up on this, Scott. I started recording these with Game 3, the one where McNally hits the grand slam. Early in the game, I heard Curt Gowdy say the O’s had won 16 straight going into this game with the regular season streak plus sweep of the Twins before this. I knew I’d read of that over the years, but to be watching the team in action as it was said kind of made it more real for me. Man, and all of those Hall of Famers on both teams ...

I'm watching Game 4 now. Just a few things I've noticed while watching the 6th, 7th and 8th innings:

Lee May was noticeably thinner as a Red as he was as an Oriole

Jim Palmer pitched quickly. I mean really quickly. He'd pitch, get the ball back, shake his arm, look in to get the sign and go right into his motion, in just a few seconds.

When Boog came up in the 8th with the O's trailing 6-5  Curt Gowdy mentioned how the Reds had gone into the shift against Powell. Powell promptly slapped an outside pitch down the opposite field line. He was out on a great play by the third baseman, but there was no nonsense by a man who was essentially a pull homerun hitter about trying to do "what he gets paid for." He was trying to get a hit where the ball was pitched.

There was a dispute about whether or not a ball was fouled off Pete Rose's foot or not. The Home Plate Umpire called for the ball, looked to see if there was any shoe polish on it (apparently that had happened earlier that season and another Ump was able to see that a ball had come off of someone's foot that way), then walked up the 3rd base line and asked the 3rd base Ump if he had seen it come off of Rose's foot. So professional. He didn't stare at anyone. He didn't scream at Rose, who was complaining. He tried to make the right call and then went about moving the game forward. Refreshing.

Archived