Latest on the international market (Perez conf. call)

interloper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvin Maduro’s reaction to the Perez hire:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/maduro-on-perez-i-think-its-an-outstanding-hire.html

Intetestingly, Maduro suggests that the O’s don’t really need more scouts to cover the prospects available through 2020, only later.    I realize there’s a lot of lead time in developing relationships with prospects down there, but that seemed a bit extreme.  

The fact that Mora couldn't get a phone call returned is a disgrace. That's the kind of thing that has been happening for far too long in this organization. The lack of communication has been astounding for years, even under MacPhail. 

Who knows how the new regime will turn out in the coming years, but you have to love everything so far. I mean, how hard is it to say "yes, we should probably talk to our best Venezuelan ex-player and Oriole HoFer Melvin Mora about players he likes"? There are so many obviously correct things the O's should have been doing for years and maybe - MAYBE - they are starting to do them. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Calvin Maduro’s reaction to the Perez hire:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/maduro-on-perez-i-think-its-an-outstanding-hire.html

Intetestingly, Maduro suggests that the O’s don’t really need more scouts to cover the prospects available through 2020, only later.    I realize there’s a lot of lead time in developing relationships with prospects down there, but that seemed a bit extreme.  

That was interesting, and I think it points to the fact that no one on this board really understands how this international stuff TRULY works. I'm certainly in no position to say that Maduro is wrong here, nor is anyone else on this website. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

The fact that Mora couldn't get a phone call returned is a disgrace. That's the kind of thing that has been happening for far too long in this organization. The lack of communication has been astounding for years, even under MacPhail. 

Who knows how the new regime will turn out in the coming years, but you have to love everything so far. I mean, how hard is it to say "yes, we should probably talk to our best Venezuelan ex-player and Oriole HoFer Melvin Mora about players he likes"? There are so many obviously correct things the O's should have been doing for years and maybe - MAYBE - they are starting to do them. 

Yes it was, but that was the old regime, and sad to say, that was how they was.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

That was interesting, and I think it points to the fact that no one on this board really understands how this international stuff TRULY works. I'm certainly in no position to say that Maduro is wrong here, nor is anyone else on this website. 

Im pretty sure, he is a solid hire, so far, the org on the surface appears to be doing their homework and getting the best people they can.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes it was, but that was the old regime, and sad to say, that was how they was.

Im pretty sure, he is a solid hire, so far, the org on the surface appears to be doing their homework and getting the best people they can.

Agree. In thinking about it, if you have contacts around the league and in other countries, and you're aware of the young players that are coming up, maybe you really don't need to have a million scouts. The players are going to be the same people in 1-3 years as they age and you start signing them. They already have tabs on these guys, they just haven't been able to sign them. With Maduro and his crew, plus Perez now, perhaps that's enough through the next couple of years. Plus you can leverage guys like Mora and other contacts who are explicitly Orioles employees. 

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like they are fully aware of what is down there currently, but need to work on the brand new youngsters coming into the system.

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well at least I know I wasn't the only one! Haha..

I will say I've had more interaction already with Mike Elias than I did in Dan Duquette's or Andy MacPhail's tenure. Unless you count my office interview with McPhail before I posted my piece about the organization under him.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I will say I've had more interaction already with Mike Elias than I did in Dan Duquette's or Andy MacPhail's tenure. Unless you count my office interview with McPhail before I posted my piece about the organization under him.

That's great to hear. I've never understood the bizarre lack of communication. How many times have we heard about agents and players who couldn't get a call returned. Even Adam Jones had this problem. Adam Jones!

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As dysfunctional an organization they was, from what we are hearing, it sort of amazing, they did as well as they did for 5 years.

It sure seams on the surface that they are making all the right moves now, and thats encouraging to see.

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Most surprising to me about is not so much that it's a former player, but that's a recent former player who played under PGA's ownership.  Guys from the golden era like Brooks, Frank, Paul Blair when he was still with us, it was unfortunate to be sure but they had no connection to Angelos.  Guys like Melvin Mora, who spent  10 years here, is in the team Hall of Fame, and I would think got along with ownership as evidenced by those 10 years.  If similar guys like Brady can get an in, or guys with less playing tenure like Maduro (not a knock, just saying he didn't play her very long), can get opportunities, how a guy like Mora doesn't until now baffles me.

Archived