Interesting FAs

wildcard

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ladies and gentlemen...your starting 3rdbaseman for the 2019 Orioles is (drum roll)...Matt Davidson! On the plus side the walk from 3B to the mound is a short one. 

The Orioles are showing interest in free agent Matt Davidson, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

The rebuilding O's are certainly in good position to let Davidson experiment as a two-way player. They could use him in the lineup against left-handed opponents and let him pitch fairly regularly in relief, if they'd like. The 27-year-old slugged 20 home runs in 123 games last season with the White Sox and also made three scoreless appearances out of the bullpen.

Another right handed 1B/DH? Is Dan Duquette still running this team?!

32 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If they sign him, I'd imagine they are going to try him as a pitcher as well. He has some real potential in that role. 

Without minor league options I see no reason to get cutesy. But that’s just me 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm down with Matt Davidson.  Has a little pop, and anyone with a beer league delivery is fine with me.

How's his fielding?

Below average at 3B, average at 1B is what the numbers seem to imply. Haven't seen him play defense much. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Below average at 3B, average at 1B is what the numbers seem to imply. Haven't seen him play defense much. 

After the $#!^ show fiesta that was our defense last year, I'd prefer a better defender.  I know he'd be looked at as a stopgap of sorts but I'd like to have the young arms have a competent defense behind them.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

After the $#!^ show fiesta that was our defense last year, I'd prefer a better defender.  I know he'd be looked at as a stopgap of sorts but I'd like to have the young arms have a competent defense behind them.  

The idea of a position player that could eat say 30 bullpen innings is appealing.

I kind of see the White Sox cutting Davidson as a proxy for trying to contend seriously - they think they can't afford fooling around with the idea anymore.

Guys like Davidson will benefit from Ohtani's coattails - easier for non-contenders to experiment, and hard to beat the '19 O's at that.

Interesting. 1st the Astros block Tucker (Brantley signing) and now the Dodgers block Verdugo with this signing. Makes you wonder why these teams don't just trade their prospects if they don't intend to play them. I doubt Verdugo and Tucker ever have this much value again (as minor leaguers). Then again, this signing could be a precursor to a trade for Realmuto with Verdugo as the centerpiece. 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Dodgers have reached agreement with free agent outfielder A.J. Pollock.

ESPN's Buster Olney hears that it will be a four-year, $55 million deal, with opt-outs and escalators built in. There is a fifth-year player option worth $10 million with a $5 million buyout. At the outset of the offseason, Pollock was said to be looking for something close to the five-year, $80 million contract that Lorenzo Cain signed last winter with the Brewers, but the market has crumbled for most free agents. Pollock, 31, slashed .257/.316/.484 with 21 home runs, 65 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 113 games last year for the Diamondbacks. He'll be the new regular center fielder in Los Angeles.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Interesting. 1st the Astros block Tucker (Brantley signing) and now the Dodgers block Verdugo with this signing. Makes you wonder why these teams don't just trade their prospects if they don't intend to play them. I doubt Verdugo and Tucker ever have this much value again (as minor leaguers). Then again, this signing could be a precursor to a trade for Realmuto with Verdugo as the centerpiece. 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Dodgers have reached agreement with free agent outfielder A.J. Pollock.

ESPN's Buster Olney hears that it will be a four-year, $55 million deal, with opt-outs and escalators built in. There is a fifth-year player option worth $10 million with a $5 million buyout. At the outset of the offseason, Pollock was said to be looking for something close to the five-year, $80 million contract that Lorenzo Cain signed last winter with the Brewers, but the market has crumbled for most free agents. Pollock, 31, slashed .257/.316/.484 with 21 home runs, 65 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 113 games last year for the Diamondbacks. He'll be the new regular center fielder in Los Angeles.

Bad news for Harper.

Archived