Orioles sign Nate Karns

interloper

So Karns had the same surgery Matt Harvery had.  Oh Phil Hughes had it in 2016.   Clayton Richard had it.   Tyson Ross also had it.  This is like a who's who list of pitchers who used to could pitch and can't anymore.  Hate to burst anyone's bubble but it doesn't seem encouraging. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think you guys are being a little pessimistic on his chances to return. Clayton Richard, Tyson Ross and Matt Harvey have all returned from thoracic outlet surgery. It isn't established as Tommy John surgery, but it isn't a new experimental procedure.

Thanks Murph for the Clayton Richard highlight - he's the first TOS guy who seems to have gotten back to being about himself - Ross and Harvey have just been so much worse, and they were the only guys I remembered making it back at all.

Fits Elias's SO-loving profile to a T - here's the maximum cherry pick - 2015-2017 K/9 rankings with minimum set to the 250 IP threshold Karns barely cleared - he's just ahead of Justin Verlander.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=250&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=9,d

I feel good his TOS rehab is a year behind him, he actually pitched most of last spring.  It wasn't until 3.29 he went on the 10-day DL for elbow inflammation, at which time Ned Yost "expressed optimism he will be able to return when first eligible next Friday". 

He did not pitch again last year.

The Nationals got Felipe Vazquez for him 5 years ago.

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

So Karns had the same surgery Matt Harvery had.  Oh Phil Hughes had it in 2016.   Clayton Richard had it.   Tyson Ross also had it.  This is like a who's who list of pitchers who used to could pitch and can't anymore.  Hate to burst anyone's bubble but it doesn't seem encouraging. 

It’s an $800,000 lottery ticket. If it does work, then splendid, and if it doesn’t, well then, The four Horsemen of the apocalypse can take turns as our number five, and no harm done.

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

You keep thinking you're bursting anyone's bubble.

No one has a bubble to burst. I hate to break it to you.

35 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Like the signing. 

I think Donnie Hart gets the dreaded DFA, but goes unclaimed and remains in the organization. 

Why does everybody think that it is unlikely that Mike will dump one of our infielders? They are all waiver wire pick ups with huge flaws, and we only have room on the team for -at most- three of them anyway.

Martin and Jackson are almost certainly going to make the team simply because they are free prospects, Nunez because we need a third baseman, and then maybe one other guy as a platoon/utility guy. All the others are dross. Hart Hasn’t wasted all his value yet. He should stay until he exhausts all hope.

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

Matt Harvey and Tyson Ross were both productive Major Leaguers last year. Clayton Richard had several productive years after having the surgery. What gives you the impression that they can't pitch?

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why does everybody think that it is unlikely that Mike will dump one of our infielders? They are all waiver wire pick ups with huge flaws, and we only have room on the team for -at most- three of them anyway.

Martin and Jackson are almost certainly going to make the team simply because they are free prospects, Nunez because we need a third baseman, and then maybe one other guy as a platoon/utility guy. All the others are dross. Hart Hasn’t wasted all his value yet. He should stay until he exhausts all hope.

I would release Steve Wilkerson.  

1 minute ago, Philip said:

If I had to bet on a guy, it would probably be Jack Reinheimmer, so I agree. 

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Matt Harvey and Tyson Ross were both productive Major Leaguers last year. Clayton Richard had several productive years after having the surgery. What gives you the impression that they can't pitch.

Harvey had a 5 run ERA in the National League last year.  Ross has probably been at replacement level since surgery and so has Richard.  

Just now, jabba72 said:

A 40 spot needs to be cleared for this guy. Can he even pitch? 

They can fill the slot with someone better as soon as camp breaks if he can't. Put him on the 60 day DL March one and grab the next waiver claim. 

Archived