Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

He's already indirectly blocking Rickard from being an everyday outfielder, and if DJ Stewart were healthy, he would probably be blocking him from a promotion too.  He's forcing Trey out of position which is the domino the is causing the aforementioned blocking.  Next year he will probably block Mountcastle too. 

He isn't blocking anyone from being on the team,. If you want someone on the team DFA Alvarez.  

17 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

You're right, but Davis is on a truly historic trajectory this season, and without a MAJOR adjustment that he may not be capable of making, he won't get any better in the next 5 years.

This situation is becoming something no team has EVER had to deal with - the money and years left combined with such low (very negative WAR) production.  Something will have to give, and I no longer know if it will be the Orioles granting a release or a negotiated buyout to save the team money and a roster space, and to save Davis some sense of self-respect.

I was angry at Davis for a long time but the team is horrible with him in or out of the line up.  At this point I find the whole thing comical that Davis is so bad at baseball.  We aren't in the playoff hunt.  Play Davis let's see how many records he can set.  

25 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

You're right, but Davis is on a truly historic trajectory this season, and without a MAJOR adjustment that he may not be capable of making, he won't get any better in the next 5 years.

This situation is becoming something no team has EVER had to deal with - the money and years left combined with such low (very negative WAR) production.  Something will have to give, and I no longer know if it will be the Orioles granting a release or a negotiated buyout to save the team money and a roster space, and to save Davis some sense of self-respect.

I can't imagine the MLBPA being too happy and approving Davis to accept a contract buyout.  That is the one thing the MLB players have going for them- fully guaranteed contracts, and I do not see them changing that.  

Davis would have to retire, and then it would still probably cause the MLBPA to form an investigation and could hurt Davis' future in any MLB-related role would he desire one.  Even upon retirement, any money he agreed to defer would still be due to him I believe.  And I'm going to be brutally honest, self-respect or not, that's $100 million-plus still left on the table.  Davis would be foolish to retire and not force a release.  His children's children's children could be set for life if that money is managed appropriately.  A person can't just walk away from that. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Davis is going to be willing to surrender enough of his future earnings to satisfy ownership.

And I don't blame him, it's his money.

It’ll be interesting for sure. It doesnt seem financially rational for a player to surrender such money. But as this thread points out, Davis is historically bad so somewhere along the lines I suspect he will finally give up. I dont see anyone having the mental toughness to continue this for five years. 

But what about the players association? Would they be cool with a guy giving up guaranteed money? 

6 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I can't imagine the MLBPA being too happy and approving Davis to accept a contract buyout.  That is the one thing the MLB players have going for them- fully guaranteed contracts, and I do not see them changing that.  

Davis would have to retire, and then it would still probably cause the MLBPA to form an investigation and could hurt Davis' future in any MLB-related role would he desire one.  Even upon retirement, any money he agreed to defer would still be due to him I believe.  And I'm going to be brutally honest, self-respect or not, that's $100 million-plus still left on the table.  Davis would be foolish to retire and not force a release.  His children's children's children could be set for life if that money is managed appropriately.  A person can't just walk away from that. 

Absolutely agree.  It's a TON of money, and Davis can't simply walk away.  He's just been so bad, I wonder if he would ever consider a small discount to walk away but still keep a lot of the guaranteed money.

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was angry at Davis for a long time but the team is horrible with him in or out of the line up.  At this point I find the whole thing comical that Davis is so bad at baseball.  We aren't in the playoff hunt.  Play Davis let's see how many records he can set.  

Tonight's game (it's just 1 game, right?) shows that the problem is not just Davis.  The whole team gets shut down and somehow doesn't hit for power anymore.  Craig Gentry(!) had 3 of the team's 5 hits, and the only one for extra bases.  Playing Davis probably doesn't make this team much worse than whoever replaces him (Rickard via Mancini move to 1B).  At least they only struck out 3 times ?

Edited by Oriol3s

15 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Is anyone on this board familiar with all the terms of an MLB contract? I know that the money is “guaranteed” for all practical purposes, but I wonder if there’s some clause whereby the Orioles could aruge that by being historically bad, Davis somehow has failed go uphold his end for the bargain. For $100m, I’ll bet there are lawyers who would at least attempt that argument.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 99ct said:

Is anyone on this board familiar with all the terms of an MLB contract? I know that the money is “guaranteed” for all practical purposes, but I wonder if there’s some clause whereby the Orioles could aruge that by being historically bad, Davis somehow has failed go uphold his end for the bargain. For $100m, I’ll bet there are lawyers who would at least attempt that argument.

I suppose if anyone could examine an MLB contract to its finest and most microscopic level, it’s the Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos. Unfortunately, PGA is also the guy who may be the last to realize (or admit) how badly Davis has hamstrung the team’s future. I don’t have any confidence that anyone who has his ear would be as persauasive in moving him to getting out of this contract as they were in persuading him to offer it in the first place. 

On 6/6/2018 at 12:38 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

Just an update:

Davis is now at 212 PAs, so we can move the minimum PA count to 210. His OPS also slid ten points to .473.

That puts him at a two way tie for 22nd worst OPS in a season for the last 50 years. 15,126 unique seasons qualify for these parameters. He is 241st/29885 all time.

Now at 220PA, the OPS has dipped to .464. He is now at 15th worst for anyone with 220PA. He is now worse than Mario Mendoza’s 1979 season and is tied with Nick Hundley’s 2012 with the Padres.

It has to end!

8 hours ago, atomic said:

He isn't blocking anyone from being on the team,. If you want someone on the team DFA Alvarez.  

Alvarez is better than Davis at nearly every offensive category.

"Is Chris Davis turning in the worst season in MLB history?"

Lowest batting avg ever for a qualifier Rob Deer .179 in 1991.

Chis Davis .152 in 2018.

So the answer to the question is YES.

8 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I suppose if anyone could examine an MLB contract to its finest and most microscopic level, it’s the Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos. Unfortunately, PGA is also the guy who may be the last to realize (or admit) how badly Davis has hamstrung the team’s future. I don’t have any confidence that anyone who has his ear would be as persauasive in moving him to getting out of this contract as they were in persuading him to offer it in the first place. 

The problem is, the MLB Players Association would defend any action to the bitter end. It would be assured mutual destruction. 

This would not be court cases. 

This would be moving to Mercury. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Alvarez is better than Davis at nearly every offensive category.

So what does that have to do with making space for someone on the roster?  I said you could make space for someone by DFAing Alvarez.  Not that Davia is better.

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Now at 220PA, the OPS has dipped to .464. He is now at 15th worst for anyone with 220PA. He is now worse than Mario Mendoza’s 1979 season and is tied with Nick Hundley’s 2012 with the Padres.

It has to end!

And yet, six years later, Nick Hundley is still in the majors.   

21 minutes ago, weams said:

The problem is, the MLB Players Association would defend any action to the bitter end. It would be assured mutual destruction. 

I don’t think there’s any chance at all that a major league contract can be terminated merely for poor performance, no matter how bad.   It would not take long for an arbitrator to reject that case.   

And let’s not forget that the O’s tried to terminate Ponson’s contract for punching a Judge and having several DUI violations, and reportedly capitulated and paid him essentially all the money remaining on his contract.   Clearly they did that because they concluded they couldn’t win the case.   Their position was a lot stronger with Ponson than with Davis.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

Sounds like where PGA is with the MASN case. Legal limbo into eternity. 

• Upvote 1