Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s just possible he can lob one off the Green Monster.    I think at least one of those balls he hit to LF on Monday would have reached it, and maybe two of them.  

Yes! Let him throw the ball instead of making him use that wooden stick thingy.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s just possible he can lob one off the Green Monster.    I think at least one of those balls he hit to LF on Monday would have reached it, and maybe two of them.  

The record breaker probably would have bounced off the wall in Fenway. Would love to see Davis get on track this weekend and the O's take 3 out of 4 games against the Red Sox.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Loin said:

Surprised at this point he hasn't tried to at least lay one down...at least to get the mojo going.

This is a guy who has rarely ever been called on to bunt in his career.  He probably has practiced it as little as anyone on the team.  And it's not like but tonight is necessarily easy.  It is a skill that needs practice like anything else.  We've heard about the extra BP he is taking.  Should he take time away from that to practice bunting?  To what end?  He's slow.  He won't make a living bunting g for a hit.  Doing it won't help him actually hit better.

And if you think he is a national object of ridicule now, how bad would it be if he tried to bunt for a hit and popped up to the pitcher?

I don't see the upside.  Unless you really believe in mojo.

• Upvote 1

Why does Hyde keep benching him? Its silly to let him on the 25 man but then bench him vs any half decent pitcher. Davis will probably happily sit the next 4 years on the bench knowing he'll be protected from any good pitcher the teams faces.  

“Absolutely. I’ve said before, he’s on this team and it’s no secret the fact that we have a large and long commitment to him, so our focus is going to be on getting the best performance out of him that we possibly can,” Mike Elias, the Orioles’ first-year executive vice president and general manager, told The Athletic on Friday. “Now, part of that might be picking spots for his playing time in the middle of this. And I think that (manager Brandon Hyde) has done that and been very clear about that in terms of trying to play him in situations where he is most likely to help the team and have success.”

“This has been an ongoing struggle, it dates back beyond this year, well into last year and even to years prior. And nobody has the magic answers. And I can tell you that we are working on it,” Elias said. “Our focus is on trying different approaches, new things. I’m doing some research right now. Sig Mejdal is doing some research right now. And we’re gonna try everything and try things one variable at a time.”

Elias wouldn’t discuss specifics of his research, but said, “We’re gonna look at every variable, and so that could be things with his swing, with his approach, and related topics. I don’t think there is a magic bullet. I think there’s going to be a number of things that will need to improve in conjunction with one another. It’s difficult to embark on that type of change while a season is ongoing, so we’re just going to do as much as we can incrementally to get him into a better place.”

But Elias reiterated Friday that the Orioles’ only focus right now, as it pertains to Davis, is to help him regain his offensive abilities. Davis has been working hours before games with hitting coach Don Long, including hitting off a tee earlier this week while high-speed cameras captured every movement in his swing.

“He’s aware of some adjustments that he’d like to make and he’s going out and trying to implement those changes early on,” Elias said. “Again, we’ve been very encouraged about his attitude and his effort toward us.”

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Why does Hyde keep benching him? Its silly to let him on the 25 man but then bench him vs any half decent pitcher. Davis will probably happily sit the next 4 years on the bench knowing he'll be protected from any good pitcher the teams faces.  

He hurts us on the bench aswell because it reduces our pinch hitting options.