TT: Mullins: Starter or Future 4th Outfielder?

Tony-OH

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m curious about the OF depth chart. Are the outfielders ranked as a group, or by individual position? I’m pretty sure Mullins is #2 CF behind Diaz, right? Where is he in the overall group?

is he better than Rickard, for instance? Rickard is a solid 4OF and has done well at each spot. That’s Rickard’s ceiling, god bless him, but If Mullins is that good, that’s his floor.

Altuve is short and had some growing pains. I think Mullins can have a year to develop, and it will be fun watching him become more of himself.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, just because the guy is fast doesn't mean his defense is elite.

It CAN be elite.  He's got a bit of a ways to go to get there.

I see him as a 4th OF/platoon type, too.  Can only hit from one side of the plate and that's going to be what holds him back if he can't fix it.  If he can figure out how to hit from the right side I think his 4th OF status changes.

I don't know that there's much precedence for a good defender becoming elite as he ages.  Generally defense peaks early.  He is currently as fast as he'll ever be, and it's unlikely knowledge and positioning will get so much better that it'll completely overcome his inevitable decline in range due to age.

I also have serious doubts that he'll suddenly learn how to hit right-handed.  His vLH splits his four years as a professional are .549, .632, .604, .645.  If those were his overall numbers he would have been released.  His vRH splits have been more like .800.  A normal platoon split is something like 75 points of OPS.  If I were the Orioles I'd have him give up switch hitting yesterday and we'll probably see his overall OPS go up 30 or 40 points.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know that there's much precedence for a good defender becoming elite as he ages.  Generally defense peaks early.  He is currently as fast as he'll ever be, and it's unlikely knowledge and positioning will get so much better that it'll completely overcome his inevitable decline in range due to age.

I also have serious doubts that he'll suddenly learn how to hit right-handed.  His vLH splits his four years as a professional are .549, .632, .604, .645.  If those were his overall numbers he would have been released.  His vRH splits have been more like .800.  A normal platoon split is something like 75 points of OPS.  If I were the Orioles I'd have him give up switch hitting yesterday and we'll probably see his overall OPS go up 30 or 40 points.

I think the argument is that Mullins was a plus defensive player in the minors and a host of minor issues (tentativeness, upper decks, lighting, positioning ect) played a role in his glove being down.

I am so tired of everyone picking our guys apart all the time, pointing out every flaw in everyone’s game.  These are all players with a new set of tools to learn from including greater technologies and data and also an entirely new coaching staff.

There is a lot of room for improvement with all of our players, but we are now providing them with an actual OPPORTUNITY to perform better.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the argument is that Mullins was a plus defensive player in the minors and a host of minor issues (tentativeness, upper decks, lighting, positioning ect) played a role in his glove being down.

Ah, okay, I wrongly assumed that you were saying he just wasn't that good.

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Oh my yes. 

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m curious about the OF depth chart. Are the outfielders ranked as a group, or by individual position? I’m pretty sure Mullins is #2 CF behind Diaz, right? Where is he in the overall group?

is he better than Rickard, for instance? Rickard is a solid 4OF and has done well at each spot. That’s Rickard’s ceiling, god bless him, but If Mullins is that good, that’s his floor.

Altuve is short and had some growing pains. I think Mullins can have a year to develop, and it will be fun watching him become more of himself.

The way I have seen it before, outfielders are grouped both ways.

Example: On a depth chart, Mullins might be first in center and second in left. Rickard second in center, first in right, ect. Just an example, not an actual current chart.

Archived