TT: Mullins: Starter or Future 4th Outfielder?

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

What evidence has he presented? What major league players have stopped switch hitting after switch hitting their whole minor league career? Saying someone is bad doing something doesn't mean they will be better doing it a different way. 

Shane Victorino

J.T. Snow

Pablo Sandoval

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, atomic said:

What evidence has he presented? What major league players have stopped switch hitting after switch hitting their whole minor league career? Saying someone is bad doing something doesn't mean they will be better doing it a different way. 

And I never claimed that. But are you under the assumption he’s going to improve at something in the ML level which he’s been bad his entire MiL career?

He’s not a ML yet, so your comparison to other ML hitters not switching isn’t a good one. But there are numerous examples....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2012/7/12/3150099/switch-hitters-sometimes

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And I never claimed that. But are you under the assumption he’s going to improve at something in the ML level which he’s been bad his entire MiL career?

He’s not a ML yet, so your comparison to other ML hitters not switching isn’t a good one. But there are numerous examples....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2012/7/12/3150099/switch-hitters-sometimes

So there are only 4 guys who went from switch hitting to left-handed hitting only that had 100 at bats both ways.   And 2 showed improvement. Probably not a useful sample size. Probably some guys worked on it in batting practice and gave up. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, probably.    I’ll be surprised if he’s a defensive liability.   

I don't think defensive liability if the the right words to describe  Mullins.  He has speed.  He should cover more ground then Jones did last year.   His weak arm just means that McKenna has a chance to beat him out of the starting center field job when he is ready for the majors.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was surprised he was one last year.

Yeah, me too, but I’ll give him a pass.    I’ll tell you he looked pretty spectacular in Sarasota last March.   And his MiL reviews were positive.   I think he’ll be fine over a larger sample, except that his arm isn’t going to scare anyone.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, me too, but I’ll give him a pass.    I’ll tell you he looked pretty spectacular in Sarasota last March.   And his MiL reviews were positive.   I think he’ll be fine over a larger sample, except that his arm isn’t going to scare anyone.  

He'll get a chance to perform.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

So there are only 4 guys who went from switch hitting to left-handed hitting only that had 100 at bats both ways.   And 2 showed improvement. Probably not a useful sample size. Probably some guys worked on it in batting practice and gave up. 

Do you remember when Rick Dempsey decided he'd had enough of not hitting righties, and started to swtich hit in the middle of his career?  Lasted all of one at bat in 1982 where he grounded into a double play, just look at his career splits.  He apparently went to the instructional league after the '81 season to learn to hit lefty.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

But we're pretty sure that if he's OPS'd .600 for four professional seasons, mostly in the minors, as a righty that's a fair amount of evidence that he's not going to improve enough to be a major leaguer that way.  I don't see how it could hurt.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Shane Victorino

J.T. Snow

Pablo Sandoval

Shane Victorino doesn't count. First off he went Right Handed full time.  Second he has 3111 at bats as Left Handed batter and 123 as a Right Handed batter against right handed pitching.  And he only changed due to injury.  

So basically you have two players in the history of baseball.  I would say that is a small sample size. 

The answer of course is time will tell.  The benefit of being a rebuilding team is he will get an opportunity to grow.  He could be a starter or a 4th OF or he could be neither, or he could be a platoon.  The real question isn't what will he be, but when will the team be good and will he still have a role when it is.  I honestly don't care what the result is.

By that I mean if he is a 4 year starter and we lose 400 games.....we still suck.

He has tools, he will get a chance.  As will others.  We just need some of them to grow into real players and then we can sort out the results.

Here's hoping!!!

Archived