Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

HowAboutThat

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd take any of the three over Wright in the rotation.

I thought Wright had performed well this ST but looking at his numbers, he has an artificially low ERA. WHIP is at 1.42 and batters are hitting .306 off of him. 

The three other candidates have all out pitched him based on WHIP and BAA and only Means has a lower K rate.  It's all over a very small sample size but if it's an open competition, he is losing. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

I thought Wright had performed well this ST but looking at his numbers, he has an artificially low ERA. WHIP is at 1.42 and batters are hitting .306 off of him. 

The three other candidates have all out pitched him based on WHIP and BAA and only Means has a lower K rate.  It's all over a very small sample size but if it's an open competition, he is losing. 

Small sample sizes can give you false hope in a player.  

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Small sample sizes can give you false hope in a player.  

I'm not sure I understand your point.  I already acknowledged the small sample size. 

If it's an open competition and we are looking at several starters with a similar mediocre ceiling, I expect the Spring Training performances would be a major determining factor on who gets the rotation spot. 

7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  I already acknowledged the small sample size. 

If it's an open competition and we are looking at several starters with a similar mediocre ceiling, I expect the Spring Training performances would be a major determining factor on who gets the rotation spot. 

And what players have options remaining.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And what players have options remaining.

Do we really need to be playing option games with a 29 year old pitcher who has been up and down with the team since 2015?  If the new regime believes in his stuff/ability then he will get the first chance at the fifth starter spot.  Otherwise, I don't see it.  They aren't invested in him as DD and Buck were. 

The bullpen is still an option for keeping him, but It would not surprise me at all if he is released.   

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Do we really need to be playing option games with a 29 year old pitcher who has been up and down with the team since 2015?  If the new regime believes in his stuff/ability then he will get the first chance at the fifth starter spot.  Otherwise, I don't see it.  They aren't invested in him as DD and Buck were. 

The bullpen is still an option for keeping him, but It would not surprise me at all if he is released.   

I'd be fine either way, just pointing out that remaining options are a factor.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd take any of the three over Wright in the rotation.

I hope they don’t read too much into Wright’s ST numbers. I’m glad he’s had success but put the guy in the pen. Teams last year showed how valuable relievers can be. I don’t need to see Wright get rocked in Toronto game 4. Again. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hope they don’t read too much into Wright’s ST numbers. I’m glad he’s had success but put the guy in the pen. Teams last year showed how valuable relievers can be. I don’t need to see Wright get rocked in Toronto game 4. Again. 

So put him in the pen because relievers are valuable, but you don’t want to see him rocked in game 4?     

Wright hasn’t been good either as a starter or a reliever in the past.    If one judges that he has made some adjustments and may improve, I’m indifferent whether we give him another chance as a starter or in the pen.   It depends on who else is available.   If one judges that his spring numbers are illusory, DFA him.    He’s not going to help our pen if that’s true.   

Archived