Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

HowAboutThat

Last two weeks on ST are very important to Wright.   He will be facing more major league hitters.   He has got to be able cut his number of pitches per inning to stay in the rotation.   Doesn't look likely.     Relieving may be  his best shot but he has a lot of competition.  In two weeks we will know.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Last two weeks on ST are very important to Wright.   He will be facing more major league hitters.   He has got to be able cut his number of pitches per inning to stay in the rotation.   Doesn't look likely.     Relieving may be  his best shot but he has a lot of competition.  In two weeks we will know.

And go thru the lineup twice, maybe three times as pitchers AND hitters will be stretching out their innings.

14 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I thought Wright had performed well this ST but looking at his numbers, he has an artificially low ERA. WHIP is at 1.42 and batters are hitting .306 off of him. 

The three other candidates have all out pitched him based on WHIP and BAA and only Means has a lower K rate.  It's all over a very small sample size but if it's an open competition, he is losing. 

Yep. And every other indicator of past performance tells us to cut bait. But he IS much more confident, or at least that's what Hunter and Kubatko keep telling us! :D

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

He’s never going to be pitch efficient.    He’s just a guy you hope can keep you in a game for 5 innings.    

Big day for Mike Wright as he starts vs the Yankees.   His ERA at 1.42 is good but his BAA against is .306 and his WHIP is 1.42 are not.  In his last start which was vs the Yankees he could not get out of the third inning.     He went 2.2 IP  6 H, 1 BB, 2 ER, 1 SO.    His  pitch count caused Hyde to pull him.

He has to show he can get through 4 innings today to stay in the starters competition. If he does he will live to fight another round throughout the rotation.  If he does not he could go to the pen or even be DFA'd.

No pressure though.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Big day for Mike Wright as he starts vs the Yankees.   His ERA at 1.42 is good but his BAA against is .306 and his WHIP is 1.42 are not.  In his last start which was vs the Yankees he could not get out of the third inning.     He went 2.2 IP  6 H, 1 BB, 2 ER, 1 SO.    His  pitch count caused Hyde to pull him.

He has to show he can get through 4 innings today to stay in the starters competition. If he does he will live to fight another round throughout the rotation.  If he does not he could go to the pen or even be DFA'd.

No pressure though.

Wait, what others starters not named Bundy have been though 4IP? And if Wright gets through 3IP without giving up too many hits (or runs for that matter), but has an elevated pitch count; does that necessarily mean he’s out of the 4th or even 5th spot in the rotation?

Who exactly has been through 4 IP besides Cobb who looked any good? I haven’t kept up as much as I would have liked, but I have to think he’s a leading candidate if it was based solely on ST performance. And yes, I’m loathe to put much weight on these results as much as the next guy, however, they have to base it on something. Is there anyone amongst the current choices for the back end of the rotation who’s more deserving? 

I’m not sure Bundy even makes the rotation the way he’s looked. I’m no great fan of Wright’s, but considering the current options who is more deserving? Ramirez? Hess? Rogers? Means? 

If he doesn’t get through 4 it doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t get a spot. We may witness a fluid set of circumstances where Wright (and another one or TWO guys, considering Bundy) is the starter as a 4th or 5th in the rotation and then it rotates to next man up. 

The competition remains in flux and his next start won’t make or break him.

You’re right, no pressure.

As Tony-OH has stated, they could have cut bait last season and I wouldn’t have batted an eye. But he’s here and the options aren’t overwhelmingly or even mildly better. I’d love to see someone make that distinction, but who is it? Who could it be?

In any case, this team will be bad. Having Mike Wright as their 5th starter might not be palatable based on prior performance, but does it matter all that much for this team-this year?

There will be many moving parts on this year’s team, Wright may or may not be there when it’s all said and done.

Cobb and Bundy have gone 5 innings.   Ynoa has gone 4.  Cashner and Rogers have gone 3.2.   Hess has gone 3.1.  Wright, Means and Ramirez have  gone 3.

Its time that the starters have to get to 4 or be passed by someone else.   If any of them can't go 4 now they probably will go to the pen, be optioned or DFA'd.

Cobb, Cashner and Bundy will pitch the first three games of the season.  Games 4 and 6 are up for grabs.   Cobb probably pitches game 5.

Right now I have the rotation as Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Rogers, Wright but the last two have to pitch well in their next outing to hold their spots.

I could be wrong about this, but it seemed to me that in his first several outings Wright was really throwing downhill. Everything had a downward trajectory and was low in the zone. His last two outings, at least half his pitches have been up and flat - like the old Mike Wright. 

I'd rather watch Ynoa pitch.

Archived