Dwight Smith Jr worth a look?

jamalshw

1 hour ago, atomic said:

His WAR has already fell since I made that comment.  He is such a terrible fielder in the outfield if he has an .800 OPS he will probably be at replacement level. 

Oh cool I guess we're arbitrarily giving him an .800 OPS even though his batted ball profile is better this year and he had an OPS higher than .800 in his rookie season. You have a fundamental misunderstanding about WAR and how it's calculated. Please learn about it before you make wild speculations and debate others.

o

(vs. ROCKIES, 5/24)

NUMBER 9

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR. JOHN DWIGHSMITHJR.

o

5 hours ago, Natty said:

Just for fun Stats...

Dwight Smith Jr. BA .270, R 28, RBI 29, HR 9.

Manny Machado BA .269, R 25, RBI 26, HR 9. 

?

More fun:

0.7 vs 1.5 (or 0.6 vs 1.4 if you prefer)

He’s certainly done better than any of us could have hoped though. 

o

A grand slam.

(vs. GIANTS, 5/31)

NUMBER 10

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

o

Everyone seems to have really soured on his defense. Admittedly, I have watched less games over the last month but I thought he looked okay out in left in April.

Some questionable throwing decisions for sure, but his reads and tracking of fly balls wasn’t bad. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Everyone seems to have really soured on his defense. Admittedly, I have watched less games over the last month but I thought he looked okay out in left in April.

Some questionable throwing decisions for sure, but his reads and tracking of fly balls wasn’t bad. 

UZR has him at -4 runs over 150, so pretty close to a wash on D. 

o

(vs. RANGERS, 6/04)

NUMBER 11

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

JOHDWIGHSMITHJR.

o

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Smith continues to shock me with his offensive prowess.    They mentioned last night that he has the 7th highest BA in MLB on pitches that are 95+ mph.    

He was a great pickup, defense aside.  One of the benefits of having the top waiver spot for the offseason.  

Kudos to Smith.  The guy looks like he just needed a chance and is making the most of it.  

I remember when we took him that I thought his resume was sorta close to DJ Stewart.  Former first round picks.  Around the same age.  Average COF.  If Stewart could hit like Smith we'd have a nice COF combo.  

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, ChuckS said:

The biggest problem is that he plays so deep that routine fly balls often fall in front of him.  I don't watch a lot of games, but I've seen that happen a few times.  He seems best when he's going back on balls - which makes me wonder why he plays so deep.  He's not the worst I've seen in LF (Nolan Reimold), but he's bad. 

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The biggest problem is that he plays so deep that routine fly balls often fall in front of him.  I don't watch a lot of games, but I've seen that happen a few times.  He seems best when he's going back on balls - which makes me wonder why he plays so deep.  He's not the worst I've seen in LF (Nolan Reimold), but he's bad. 

Circuitous routes to the ball.