Where I think the O's roster is right now

wildcard

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just a few 40 man roster thoughts

What is the way early list of guys that will need to be protected next year? 

Is Arajuo really worth keeping?  Not just the 17 days on the big club, but just on the 40 man in general?  We’re in a much different position than we were from OD 2018. We have a slew of options that we’ve either acquired or just our own guys have moved to the upper minors. Would Arajuo rank above any of our AAA/AA “prospects”  if he still had prospect status?

What’s the deal with the 60 man DL and ST now?  I thought you couldn’t put guys on there until OD, but now I’m seeing it. Why not use this for Trumbo and Bleier?  It would give us some 40 man wiggle room. 

The young guys are performing so well early on that it’s looking like we won’t be forced to keep EY JR, Escobar, or two C not on the 40 man. That saves us a potential 3-4 players on the bottom of the 40 man that we’d have to DFA to add them. So good job young guys. 

I see the bottom of the 40 man as such,

40.  Hanser Alberto IF (No options)

39.  Osich LHP (No options)

38. Steve Wilkerson (Victim of the depth added)

37. Pedro Arajuo (Rule 5 for 17 days)

36. Evan Phillips (Struggled last year, and it’s been a quiet ST for him).

I would keep Araujo. At least give him a couple of months in system and then make a judgement on him.  

You put someone on the 60 day DL then they are lost for at least 60 days. We have no evidence that Trumbo and Bleier are hurt bad enough for that. Both hope to be ready by Opening Day.  

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Natty said:

Just not seeing the Mullins, Stewart, Santander OF. Last year they couldn't hit. 

Santander really struggled. I would send him out and see if the swing changes they have made take hold on the minors. I liked the move when we picked him up but he didn’t produce last year.  

I think Mullins and Stewart deserve a chance to see what they can do.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I would keep Araujo. At least give him a couple of months in system and then make a judgement on him.  

You put someone on the 60 day DL then they are lost for at least 60 days. We have no evidence that Trumbo and Bleier are hurt bad enough for that. Both hope to be ready by Opening Day.  

I was thinking that we could retroactive the DL start time to the the official start date of ST. After doing some research, that isn’t the case. They’d have to miss the first 60 days of the MLB season. 

So I guess that takes Trumbo out of the equation but maybe not Bleier. 

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was thinking that we could retroactive the DL start time to the the official start date of ST. After doing some research, that isn’t the case. They’d have to miss the first 60 days of the MLB season. 

So I guess that takes Trumbo out of the equation but maybe not Bleier. 

Trumbo could still be on DL to start season. That would not solve a 40 man issue but temporarily help with who comes north. 

Wynns has oblique issue. They aren’t saying anything major but who knows there and Bleier has yet to pitch in a game. 

Opening Day in NY is 3 weeks from today.  

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Trumbo could still be on DL to start season. That would not solve a 40 man issue but temporarily help with who comes north. 

Wynns has oblique issue. They aren’t saying anything major but who knows there and Bleier has yet to pitch in a game. 

Opening Day in NY is 3 weeks from today.  

I think Wilkerson gets DFA, and picked up with minor league deal and sent to AAA for depth, if nobody else signs him.

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think Wilkerson gets DFA, and picked up with minor league deal and sent to AAA for depth, if nobody else signs him.

Wilkerson has 3 options left. Those are valuable. I would think Alberto is the guy they try to sneak through waivers again. 

Other than the Rule 5 players the ones without options on the 40 man and who are on the bubble are Alberto, Nunez and Wright unless I missed someone. Osich has one left. 

Wildcard is good with this stuff. 

Another thing to watch is the catching spot. Only Sisco and Wynns are on the 40 man and Perez, Sucre and Susac are all out of options. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Wilkerson has 3 options left. Those are valuable. I would think Alberto is the guy they try to sneak through waivers again. 

Other than the Rule 5 players the ones without options on the 40 man and who are on the bubble are Alberto, Nunez and Wright unless I missed someone. Osich has one left. 

Wildcard is good with this stuff. 

Another thing to watch is the catching spot. Only Sisco and Wynns are on the 40 man and Perez, Sucre and Susac are all out of options. 

For reason, I thought Wilkerson was out of options, thanks.

Extra catchers, and for added depth in ST, and most likely AAA.

Susac didnt show me too much last season.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

For reason, I thought Wilkerson was out of options, thanks.

Extra catchers, and for added depth in ST, and most likely AAA.

Susac didnt show me too much last season.

Gotcha. 

My only point is at some point they will have to add another catcher to the 40 man. It doesn’t have to be now but they can’t call up and sent out any of the options currently. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Players on the 40 man roster that are out of options:

• Alberto
  • Wright
  •  Nunez
  • Villar
  • Davis
  • Trumbo
  • Cashner
  • Cobb
  • Bundy

Which I why I don’t see Alberto making the team. They may try to keep him in minors if they can. 

Ruiz has looked better than Nunez. Do they think they can sneak Nunez through without being picked up?

At this point I would be shocked if Wright isn’t on team. Doesn’t mean he will be around long if he doesn’t perform. 

The catching thing is something to follow. They will need depth at AAA. Not sure of opt outs. 

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The only non roster players I think that have a chance to make the team are Escobar and one the aforementioned catchers. 

I think we play it safe and value defense early on at SS and C. Right now that’s looking like adding Escobar and Sucre by OD. Alberto and Wilkerson look like the favorites early on to get DFA. Osich has a small shot at making the pen. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we play it safe and value defense early on at SS and C. Right now that’s looking like adding Escobar and Sucre by OD. Alberto and Wilkerson look like the favorites early on to get DFA. Osich has a small shot at making the pen. 

Look we aren’t talking about a talented 40 man roster that said I can’t see them letting Wilkerson go. They can option Wynns but they need to add Sucre to the 40 man. Osich could easily be let go.  

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Which I why I don’t see Alberto making the team. They may try to keep him in minors if they can. 

Ruiz has looked better than Nunez. Do they think they can sneak Nunez through without being picked up?

At this point I would be shocked if Wright isn’t on team. Doesn’t mean he will be around long if he doesn’t perform. 

The catching thing is something to follow. They will need depth at AAA. Not sure of opt outs. 

Sucre has an opt on March 22nd.  If others have them it as not been made public.

I agree Alberto is the most vulnerable.  The best time to get a player through options are the day before opening day.

Whether Nunez can make it through waivers probably depends on how he plays the next three weeks.   Does his defense at third get better or worse.

Wynns lat strain could make a difference in which catcher makes the 25 man roster.  We don't know much about it.  But we do know the the Elias/Hyde have errored on the side of caution whether dealing with injuries.

Edit:  Just read this:   Escobar has a March 21 opt-out. If the Orioles don’t put him on the 40-man roster by then, he can request to be released.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/03/07/means-throws-three-scoreless-wynns-hurting-escobar-hopes-make/

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sucre has an opt on March 22nd.  If others have them it as not been made public.

I agree Alberto is the most vulnerable.  The best time to get a player through options are the day before opening day.

Whether Nunez can make it through waivers probably depends on how he plays the next three weeks.   Does his defense at third get better or worse.

Wynns lat strain could make a difference in which catcher makes the 25 man roster.  We don't know much about it.  But we do know the the Elias/Hyde have errored on the side of caution whether dealing with injuries.

Elias is going to want to keep someone at C he trusts at AAA. 

Archived