The Adam Jones Appreciation Thread

Frobby

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Wonder if players like JJ Hardy and Matt Wieters make the Orioles HOF one day.

Yes.  The floor for Orioles Hall of Fame is either pretty good player for a while, or regular on a really good team, or played on the team (even if poorly) then coached in some capacity.   I think at least five or six guys from the 2012-16 Orioles go in.  Hardy, Markakis, Wieters, Machado, O'Day, Showalter, Jones, maybe Tillman and Britton.  Davis would go if not for the contract and decline.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes.  The floor for Orioles Hall of Fame is either pretty good player for a while, or regular on a really good team, or played on the team (even if poorly) then coached in some capacity.   I think at least five or six guys from the 2012-16 Orioles go in.  Hardy, Markakis, Wieters, Machado, O'Day, Showalter, Jones, maybe Tillman and Britton.  Davis would go if not for the contract and decline.

I can see Britton, Tillman is going to be a no from me.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I did a poll on this a few months back.   Ignore the percentages, because that just shows a percentage of total votes for all listed players.    But you can see who got the most votes: Jones, Markakis, Machado, Hardy and Britton, in that order.    Nobody else got half as many votes as Britton, so there’s a big drop off after him.   

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can see Britton, Tillman is going to be a no from me.

Tillman is probably a stretch.  His Orioles career is about on par with Scott Erickson, Mike Boddicker, maybe a half notch ahead of Sir Sid and Jeremy Guthrie.  Steve Barber is the only one in that general grouping who's in.

Britton... maybe he's not a great candidate either.  Three top years as a closer, and some filler.  And yet he's 2nd in franchise saves behind Gregg Olson.  The Orioles have never really had a top closer who was good for more than 4-5 years.  Tippy was an Oriole for 10 years but had 20 saves in a season once, in an era where Sutter and Quisenberry and Fingers would have 35-45 saves.

I am a lifelong O's fan, but only lived in Baltimore city for 6 years.  The O's traded for Jones in my first year there, so I feel like I got to watch him come into his own firsthand.  He obviously was a great player for us, but I appreciated him more for how he spoke his mind, stood up for his teammates, and made an impact on his community.  Thank you, Adam.

o

I (briefly) met Adam Jones on the walk down the ramps from the upper deck after the Colts-Ravens game, in November of 2009. I had my Earl Morrall jersey on, and he had his Johnny Unitas jersey on. He was talking on his cell phone, so I patted him on the back, smiled, gave him the thumbs-up signal, and he smiled back at me.

o

I’ll always remember the time I had with my girls on the drive down to SD to see his hitting demonstration with Harold Reynolds. 

We had an enjoyable ride and watched him be accessible , humorous and interesting while demonstrating his knowledge of the game.

Class act. Thanks, Mr Jones.

Sometimes you get a great player who, in his heart, does not really want to be here.   And other times you get a guy like Adam Jones who really seemed to care about both the organization and the city.  Someone who would have happily been an Oriole for Life had we given him the opportunity.    

My favorite Oriole of the last ten years. Not even close.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tillman is probably a stretch.  His Orioles career is about on par with Scott Erickson, Mike Boddicker, maybe a half notch ahead of Sir Sid and Jeremy Guthrie.  Steve Barber is the only one in that general grouping who's in.

Britton... maybe he's not a great candidate either.  Three top years as a closer, and some filler.  And yet he's 2nd in franchise saves behind Gregg Olson.  The Orioles have never really had a top closer who was good for more than 4-5 years.  Tippy was an Oriole for 10 years but had 20 saves in a season once, in an era where Sutter and Quisenberry and Fingers would have 35-45 saves.

I know Britton is borderline, but I would give it to him for his 2016 season.  And as a token of recognition because Buck never used him in the 2016 wildcard game. ?

Archived