The Adam Jones Appreciation Thread

Frobby

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

He has been averaging over 600 PAs, so figure his deal could end up around $5M.

I have a feeling the DBacks will use him more sparingly than the Orioles did.   But, I hope he earns all of them.    

Adam Jones has been a favorite of mine for years.  Despite the parts of his game that at times were infuriating...pitch selection and recognition, all that was far outweighed by his many contributions over his tenure.  Best wishes as a Dback. 

Adam was one of my favorite Orioles ever. He was a worker, a leader, and a terrific citizen in the community. He was the face of the franchise during the longest run of success that I can remember (and I’m 33...oof). It’s a shame that most of our near-ML ready prospects are outfielders, because I’d love to have seen him for a few more years here. But I think we all knew it was time.

Best of luck in Arizona, Adam. Hope they can be contenders, and he is a big part of it.

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thank you, sir.

Adam was the key to a new era, in which, they were rebuilding this team.

It was a solid 5 year run, wish it had been longer, wish it had a bit more success, but such is life.

I hope his has a good time with the Razorbacks, unless they are playing Birdland.

Snakes, not pigs.

Just read this whole thread and most of what I want to say has already been said.

But if there is one player that I will associate more than any other with the stretch of winning we had in 2012-2016, it's Adam Jones.   The trade to get him was the first really good "build for the future" trade the Orioles had made in over 30 years.   It took a couple years longer than we hoped to put together a winner, but there's no doubt that Adam was the first significant piece and the spark that made it happen.

He emerged as a team leader, fan favorite, and community leader.   Nobody under the age of 30 can really even remember an Orioles winning season where Adam Jones wasn't one of the top few players.

As others have pointed out, we fans know so much more about the game now that we did years ago.   It's hard for a guy to be a loved, revered hero when you know he doesn't walk enough, or can't adjust to an outside slider, or his defense is declining.   Everything is analyzed, publicly, and players almost become defined by their weaknesses.   The unbalanced salary structure of the game makes it even worse for a veteran player because you can literally get a young guy who perhaps has a higher ceiling for one tenth of what you can get the veteran for.   And they haven't yet figured out hot to quantify leadership and other intangibles that I think we all agree Adam clearly possesses.

Adam Jones was not only an excellent ballplayer one a contending ballclub, he was a heck of a nice guy and it was easy to root for him every night.  I'll miss him and I only hope we can find someone who can replace him on and off the field, but it won't be easy.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Just read this whole thread and most of what I want to say has already been said.

But if there is one player that I will associate more than any other with the stretch of winning we had in 2012-2016, it's Adam Jones.   The trade to get him was the first really good "build for the future" trade the Orioles had made in over 30 years.   It took a couple years longer than we hoped to put together a winner, but there's no doubt that Adam was the first significant piece and the spark that made it happen.

He emerged as a team leader, fan favorite, and community leader.   Nobody under the age of 30 can really even remember an Orioles winning season where Adam Jones wasn't one of the top few players.

As others have pointed out, we fans know so much more about the game now that we did years ago.   It's hard for a guy to be a loved, revered hero when you know he doesn't walk enough, or can't adjust to an outside slider, or his defense is declining.   Everything is analyzed, publicly, and players almost become defined by their weaknesses.   The unbalanced salary structure of the game makes it even worse for a veteran player because you can literally get a young guy who perhaps has a higher ceiling for one tenth of what you can get the veteran for.   And they haven't yet figured out hot to quantify leadership and other intangibles that I think we all agree Adam clearly possesses.

Adam Jones was not only an excellent ballplayer one a contending ballclub, he was a heck of a nice guy and it was easy to root for him every night.  I'll miss him and I only hope we can find someone who can replace him on and off the field, but it won't be easy.

Well said. Best of luck AJ, thanks for the positive memories. 

Me and my Little got to enjoy the benefit of his and Audie's generosity - one of my few suite experiences at Camden.

I was living in Seattle at the time of the trade, and remember following here Andy's protracted Bedard percolations, enlivened by Jones breaking a little bit of the news himself, forcing the clubs into a bit of a deny/deny/deny posture the final couple days of negotiations.

I imagine Arizona punsters will have some fodder with SimplyAJ10 following AJ Pollock in CF.

31 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I just read this too.  I concur with your thoughts but have been a little too emotional to post on this.  But this post is excellent.

I took the man for granted. 

Not realizing that players that actually care about the team and the city are so incredibly rare. 

He showed up. He led. He played hard. 

He was the embodiment of a Baltimore Oriole. 

This hit me much harder than I realized it would. 

God Bless you Adam Jones. You will be missed. 

Much respect sir. ?

MSK 

Archived