The Adam Jones Appreciation Thread

Frobby

20 minutes ago, scOtt said:

THIS is part of why Adam was so great. Adam was ALL-IN an Oriole. Bought into on day one. Best of luck in Arizona. Nothin' but love!

Bought into on day like negative 3. Leaked the big AM trade before AM wanted it leaked.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, MikeAD said:

A well done, not too big 21 and 10 would be nice in the flag court.  

Nah, 21-10 somewhere right on Eutaw street. Subtly and respectfully, but prominent enough to be a thing to see.

Does Adam have a Eutaw street homer? I KNOW Cakes has a couple!

On 3/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I (briefly) met Adam Jones on the walk down the ramps from the upper deck after the Colts-Ravens game, in November of 2009. I had my Earl Morrall jersey on, and he had his Johnny Unitas jersey on. He was talking on his cell phone, so I patted him on the back, smiled, gave him the thumbs-up signal, and he smiled back at me.

o

I have to ask it... Is Arizona Jonesy's Unitas-San Diego Chargers finale?

On 3/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I (briefly) met Adam Jones on the walk down the ramps from the upper deck after the Colts-Ravens game, in November of 2009. I had my Earl Morrall jersey on, and he had his Johnny Unitas jersey on. He was talking on his cell phone, so I patted him on the back, smiled, gave him the thumbs-up signal, and he smiled back at me.

o

14 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I have to ask it ...... Is Arizona Jonesy's Unitas-San Diego Chargers finale?

o

I don't believe so.

Unitas was REALLY hobbled and finished in that 1973 season with the Chargers. He mentored a rookie by the name of Dan Fouts that season from the 3rd game of the season onward.

He had one last hurrah with a great game against the Jets in 1972, early in the season before Marty Domres took over the starting quarterback reigns. It was a legendary shootout between Unitas and Joe Namath at Memorial Stadium, with both quarterbacks combining for 872 yards passing.

Unitas was decent in 1971, enough for he and Earl Morrall to collectively guide the team to the AFC Championship game.

1970 was Unitas' last complete season.

I think that Jones is not close the the hobbled, struggling 40 year-old that Unitas was in 1973 ........ largely because baseball is nowhere near as brutal of a sport as is football, and also because he is 7 years younger that Unitas was that season.

o

Going to miss Jonsey.  I usually sit in the bleachers and always had a great view of him covering the outfield.  It's going to suck not seeing him out there in the future.  And now that Suggs is gone from the Ravens, my two favorite players are now in Arizona.  

I never won the chance to cook against him, but I'll never root against him.

My heart was still hoping against hope that he would still be an Oriole for the next five years, even though my brain tells me that it didn't make sense.

Baltimore certainly benefited throughout the tenure of Adam Jones.  I wish him the best in all his pursuits! 

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

Does Adam have a Eutaw street homer? I KNOW Cakes has a couple!

No, Jonesy never hit one.    And Cakes only did it once.     Random Eutaw Street homer facts:

1.    Opponents have hit far more Eutaw Street homers than the Orioles, 55-43.

2.    O’s leaders: Chris Davis 11, Luke Scott 6, Rafael Palmeiro 5, Brady Anderson 3, Matt Wieters 2, Jay Gibbons 2, Pedro Alvarez 2, Ryan Flaherty 2, Jonathan Villar 2.

3.   Jason Giambi leads opponents with 3.    Ortiz, Granderson, Thome and Dunn had 2 each.   

4.   Aubrey Huff is the only player to hit one both as an Oriole and as an opponent.    Tettleton and Thome both hit homers onto Eutaw Street as an opponent, but never at home.   

5.   Of opposing teams, the Yankees have the most with 9, followed by the Red Sox with 6.    

Details here: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/ballpark/information/eutaw-street#all-time-list

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Tettleton and Thome both hit homers onto Eutaw Street as an opponent, but never at home.   

Tettleton was traded a little over a year before Camden Yards opened, but the deal was so awful that not even the guy he was traded for (Jeff Robinson) ever played a home game there.  He was released five months before Sutcliffe threw the first pitch.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tettleton was traded a little over a year before Camden Yards opened, but the deal was so awful that not even the guy he was traded for (Jeff Robinson) ever played a home game there.  He was released five months before Sutcliffe threw the first pitch.

Thanks, I’d forgotten that Tettleton never played for us in the OPACY years.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

No, Jonesy never hit one.    And Cakes only did it once.     Random Eutaw Street homer facts:

1.    Opponents have hit far more Eutaw Street homers than the Orioles, 55-43.

2.    O’s leaders: Chris Davis 11, Luke Scott 6, Rafael Palmeiro 5, Brady Anderson 3, Matt Wieters 2, Jay Gibbons 2, Pedro Alvarez 2, Ryan Flaherty 2, Jonathan Villar 2.

3.   Jason Giambi leads opponents with 3.    Ortiz, Granderson, Thome and Dunn had 2 each.   

4.   Aubrey Huff is the only player to hit one both as an Oriole and as an opponent.    Tettleton and Thome both hit homers onto Eutaw Street as an opponent, but never at home.   

5.   Of opposing teams, the Yankees have the most with 9, followed by the Red Sox with 6.    

Details here: https://www.mlb.com/orioles/ballpark/information/eutaw-street#all-time-list

Villar with the hot start. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm suddenly craving Fruit Loops for breakfast ;)

Archived