Orioles trying to acquire Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel from the Brewers?

SevisonJN

Shoshana (Chapel Hill): So what do you think it would take to get Sherrill? The talking heads keep saying the O's are looking for a good young SS prospect (a position they desperately need). Who might fit that bill?

Jayson Stark: That's why they've been scouting the Brewers so heavily. I think they thought they had a chance to get everybody's favorite ss prospect, Alcides Escobar. But the Brewers won't even talk about him. Sounds like the Orioles then targeted Mat Gamel, who's going to be a star at third base (or maybe first eventually). But that's doubtful, too. That's the kind of players they're after for Sherrill. And I don't see them being able to get that for him, no matter how good he's been.

I agree with Stark. We need to add something to Sherrill to get Escobar.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to MLBTradeRumors.com

The Marlins are proposing the idea of swapping lefty Taylor Tankersley for a more experienced one like Brian Fuentes or George Sherrill. So far, nothing's cooking. Tankersley, 25, was demoted to Triple A earlier this month after being bitten by the home run bug. He dealt with shoulder tendinitis in early '07.

Seriously guys...Tillman is a top 25 prospect and a top 10 pitcher. There's no way we add him with Sherrill for Gamel, when Gamel could be a DH in a few years.

To be clear, when I posted Tillman/Arrieta I clearly stated MIL would need to add some stuff to Escobar/Gamel. MIL's big need is front end pitching to pair with Gallardo and Parra. It would take a front end starter to make them move one of their key positional pieces for the future.

Personally, I'd consider moving Arrieta/Sherrill for Gamel/low-minors guy.

What if we were to take Gagne's contract back along with Escobar/Gamel for Sherrill?

I'd do that in a heartbeat. They'd upgrade relievers and Gagne would walk at the end of the year.

MIL doesn't need to worry about keeping payroll space. They'll be dropping Sheets and eventully Fielder and Hardy. They need young pitching.

MIL doesn't need to worry about keeping payroll space. They'll be dropping Sheets and eventully Fielder and Hardy. They need young pitching.

We've got plenty of that. To get Gamel or Escobar, Arrieta and Tillman should be expendable. One or the other, obviously.

I was willing to include one for Hardy, so I'd be willing to include one for Escobar/Gamel

To be clear, when I posted Tillman/Arrieta I clearly stated MIL would need to add some stuff to Escobar/Gamel. MIL's big need is front end pitching to pair with Gallardo and Parra. It would take a front end starter to make them move one of their key positional pieces for the future.

no way,id rather have alcides escobar then gamel and that arrieta/sherrill for gamel and low minors guy is overpaying imo

We've got plenty of that. To get Gamel or Escobar, Arrieta and Tillman should be expendable. One or the other, obviously.

I was willing to include one for Hardy, so I'd be willing to include one for Escobar/Gamel

Something like

Sherrill/Arrieta

for

Gamel/Brewer (who would fit in very nicely with '08s duo of Hoes/Avery)

Eh, no way to know how reasonable MIL would be with Gamel. Brewer is expendable with Escobar taking off.

I still wouldn't do that. Sherrill is worth Gamel and if Melvin doesn't want to play then we move on. Arrieta isn't going anywhere.

no way,id rather have alcides escobar then gamel and that arrieta/sherrill for gamel and low minors guy is overpaying imo

Well, I'd imagine you likely view Arrieta as a potential front end guy, whereas I see him as a very good #3. Close?

I still wouldn't do that. Sherrill is worth Gamel and if Melvin doesn't want to play then we move on. Arrieta isn't going anywhere.

I doubt you'll find anyone who in baseball who will give up Gamel (or their version of Gamel) straight up for Sherrill. See above re: Arrieta. I assume this is where many are.

Well, I'd imagine you likely view Arrieta as a potential front end guy, whereas I see him as a very good #3. Close?

Arrieta still holds top 100 prospect value (potential for top 50 next year) so why trade him with Sherrill to get a top 20 prospect and a low level guy? It doesn't make sense when you look at value.

Arrieta still holds top 100 prospect value (potential for top 50 next year) so why trade him with Sherrill to get a top 20 prospect and a low level guy? It doesn't make sense when you look at value.

Not sure that follows. Value of a player isn't determined solely by where they fall on a prospect list. It's really about what you think the player will be in three years.

For example, the question would be whether a Burnett for Glaus (in his early years) would be fair, if those are around your valuations.

I doubt you'll find anyone who in baseball who will give up Gamel (or their version of Gamel) straight up for Sherrill. See above re: Arrieta. I assume this is where many are.

I agree that we will need to add value to Sherrill to get Gamel, but that value is a lot less than what Arrieta's value is.

Archived