O’s Trade for Another Catcher

Rene88

1 minute ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Who is it that you want him to spend the money on? Is there a player you know of? If he doesn’t see a fit maybe he feels trading it away for guys and hoping something sticks down the road is what’s best for the organization? 

Have you read my posts in this thread?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guys that are good don't generally repeat rookie ball.  He hasn't played much.

He certainly doesn't look like he will turn into an asset.

I'm honestly confused as to why he spent so much time in rookie ball.  Taking a guess from his stat page, it looks like he picked up the catchers gear kind of late, and spent his time in Rookie ball learning how to catch.  His bat clearly warranted a promotion.

I'm not really sure what the hit rate on low-A players that are 21, but he could be a semi-useful backup catcher by 23-24 if he continues to progress.  While the ceiling might be a bit lower for this guy,  I don't necessarily think that we're better off signing some guy for $250K to fill our our DSL team, vs signing this guy to fill out our teams in t he low minors.

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You can't judge Elias based on Mesa or Gaston.   He wasn't here yet.

Certainly fair to judge based on Sanchez or the catcher, if we don't get them.

Is it fair to judge Elias on his ability to sign Yolbert Sanchez and Fernando Villalobos? If these international signings are relationship games -- unspoken deals that are in place for months or even years in advance of players becoming eligible -- maybe it is not a matter of desire to sign these international talents. Did the Mesas already have a deal in place with Miami? I don't know. But Sanchez has been linked to the Chicago Sox while Villalobos has been linked to the Brewers. I would not be very surprised if Elias would like to sign both but that both are (sorta) committed to other teams already.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Is it fair to judge Elias on his ability to sign Yolbert Sanchez and Fernando Villalobos? If these international signings are relationship games -- unspoken deals that are in place for months or even years in advance of players becoming eligible -- maybe it is not a matter of desire to sign these international talents. Did the Mesas already have a deal in place with Miami? I don't know. But Sanchez has been linked to the Chicago Sox while Villalobos has been linked to the Brewers. I would not be very surprised if Elias would like to sign both but that both are (sorta) committed to other teams already.

That's possible.   I don't know enough about how all this stuff works behind the scene to judge.   I guess the implication is that they will sign with those teams right after the next signing period starts in July and those teams have cap room?   So if that happens and they sign with those teams, it will certainly be an indication that maybe the fix was in and our money was no good.

If they sign before the period ends with someone else with less cap room than us... then that will certainly point to a lack of interest or ability to spend on our part.

So.... wait and see how it plays out.   I am certainly curious to see what Philly does with the cap space we have been giving them.   It disappears in a cloud of dust in a few months.

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Theoretical.

You are unemployed.  You have bills.

Company A is willing to hire you now and pay you x+2.  Starting now would let you get started advancing yourself in your chosen field.

Company B, whom you really like and have been following on social media for over a year says that they can hire you in July and should be able to afford to pay you x.  Starting in July would result in you being behind your peer group in terms of development.

Which company do you choose to work for?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Theoretical.

Company A is willing to hire you now and pay you x+2.  Starting now would let you get started advancing yourself in your chosen field.

Company B, whom you really like and have been following on social media for over a year says that they can hire you in July and should be able to afford to pay you x.  Starting in July would result in you being behind your peer group in terms of development.

The very reason why I used the word, "If."

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Theoretical.

So has Sanchez signed?   Minor league training camps are underway, season is close.,

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

The very reason why I used the word, "If."

While I do think these relationships are important I also think having a big stack of cash works.

For the July 2nd guys, sure you need a relationship.  For guys sitting out there in March?  I don't think so.

21 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Who is it that you want him to spend the money on? Is there a player you know of? If he doesn’t see a fit maybe he feels trading it away for guys and hoping something sticks down the road is what’s best for the organization? 

Too hard of a question.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

I don't speak Spanish but this isn't promising:

Entre los scouts más conocidos presenciaron el “showcase, “Pablo Peguero, de los Gigantes de San Francisco, y Víctor Mata, de los Yanquis de Nueva York, entre otros.
Además de buscatalentos de las organizaciones de los Mets de Nueva York, Dodgers de Los Angeles, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Medias Blancas de Chicago, Medias Rojas de Boston, Padres de San Diego, Arizona Diamondbacks, Nacionales de Washington, Filis de Filadelfia y Marlins de Miami.
Así como de los Cachorros de Chicago, Reales de Kansas City, Piratas de Pittsburgh, Atléticos de Oakland, Cerveceros de Milwaukee, Cardenales de San Luis, Tigres de Detroit, Astros de Houston, Rockies de Colorado, Rancheros de Texas, Bravos de Atlanta, Indios de Cleveland, Azulejos de Toronto y Mellizos de Minnesota.

Archived