O’s Trade for Another Catcher

Rene88

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I do think these relationships are important I also think having a big stack of cash works.

For the July 2nd guys, sure you need a relationship.  For guys sitting out there in March?  I don't think so.

Big stacks of cash are known to be the best way to tear relationships to shreds. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't speak Spanish but this isn't promising:

Entre los scouts más conocidos presenciaron el “showcase, “Pablo Peguero, de los Gigantes de San Francisco, y Víctor Mata, de los Yanquis de Nueva York, entre otros.
Además de buscatalentos de las organizaciones de los Mets de Nueva York, Dodgers de Los Angeles, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Medias Blancas de Chicago, Medias Rojas de Boston, Padres de San Diego, Arizona Diamondbacks, Nacionales de Washington, Filis de Filadelfia y Marlins de Miami.
Así como de los Cachorros de Chicago, Reales de Kansas City, Piratas de Pittsburgh, Atléticos de Oakland, Cerveceros de Milwaukee, Cardenales de San Luis, Tigres de Detroit, Astros de Houston, Rockies de Colorado, Rancheros de Texas, Bravos de Atlanta, Indios de Cleveland, Azulejos de Toronto y Mellizos de Minnesota.

Especially since I don't read anywhere, "Los Orioles de Baltimore."

2 hours ago, theocean said:

It's weird how DD got toasted by fans and the media about the lack of international signings, but Elias gets the benefit of the doubt while doing the same thing.

DD basically destroyed all credibility as a GM when he made that Gausman trade. Elias has not done anything overtly stupid yet, but unfortunately if my past 30 years of Oriole fandom is any barometer we just need to give him some time (hopefully Elias bucks the trend, pun not intended).

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't speak Spanish but this isn't promising:

Entre los scouts más conocidos presenciaron el “showcase, “Pablo Peguero, de los Gigantes de San Francisco, y Víctor Mata, de los Yanquis de Nueva York, entre otros.
Además de buscatalentos de las organizaciones de los Mets de Nueva York, Dodgers de Los Angeles, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Medias Blancas de Chicago, Medias Rojas de Boston, Padres de San Diego, Arizona Diamondbacks, Nacionales de Washington, Filis de Filadelfia y Marlins de Miami.
Así como de los Cachorros de Chicago, Reales de Kansas City, Piratas de Pittsburgh, Atléticos de Oakland, Cerveceros de Milwaukee, Cardenales de San Luis, Tigres de Detroit, Astros de Houston, Rockies de Colorado, Rancheros de Texas, Bravos de Atlanta, Indios de Cleveland, Azulejos de Toronto y Mellizos de Minnesota.

Giants

Yankees

Mets

Dodgers

(Devil)Rays

White Sox

Red Sox

Padres

Diamondbacks

Nationals

Phillies

Marlins

Cubs

Royals

Pirates

A's

Brewers

Cardinals

Rangers

Braves

Indians

Blue Jays

Twins.

Twenty-three teams.  So if I read this right only seven teams aren't interested. (I could easily not be reading this right)

Edit- Guess I missed three.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Theoretical.

You are unemployed.  You have bills.

Company A is willing to hire you now and pay you x+2.  Starting now would let you get started advancing yourself in your chosen field.

Company B, whom you really like and have been following on social media for over a year says that they can hire you in July and should be able to afford to pay you x.  Starting in July would result in you being behind your peer group in terms of development.

Which company do you choose to work for?

The International Market is not that simple.  Nothing at all like the June Draft.  Relationships are sometimes years in the making.  These kids are free agents and "it takes two to tango".

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By the way, I'll stop talking about Elias trading away slot money once Elias stops trading away slot money.

On the bright side the Phillies are probably about capped out on slot money by now, so Mike will have to find a new trade partner.

So is he or isn't he hamstrung by ownership? You've said both in this thread alone. At this point I don't think you've really made up your mind so why not just give it some time?

Just now, rudyrooster said:

The International Market is not that simple.  Nothing at all like the June Draft.  Relationships are sometimes years in the making.  These kids are free agents and "it takes two to tango".

Do you honestly think if the O's drop a big check in front of one of these kids they would say "Sorry I'm going to wait until July to sign for less money with another team"?

It isn't as if these kids are independently wealthy.  These signing bonus are life changing money for them and their families.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

So is he or isn't he hamstrung by ownership? You've said both in this thread alone. At this point I don't think you've really made up your mind so why not just give it some time?

When did I say he wasn't being limited by ownership?

My belief is that international spending is being limited either by directly forbidding large signings or by not having enough funding in the overall budget to both be able to freely spend on the International market and spend money on things Elias thinks are more important.

Either scenario is on ownership.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you honestly think if the O's drop a big check in front of one of these kids they would say "Sorry I'm going to wait until July to sign for less money with another team"?

It isn't as if these kids are independently wealthy.  These signing bonus are life changing money for them and their families.

Now you're talking about "overpaying" for that level of talent.  Why?  Just so we can say "look we signed a name"?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It also isn't as if all of them have the support of adults other than their agents when it comes to dealing with signing contracts with Major League Baseball clubs. Some may trust their agent only. And for all I know, some of those agents may have backroom-type deals where they get a kickback after the player has signed.

2 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Now you're talking about "overpaying" for that level of talent.  Why?  Just so we can say "look we signed a name"?

No, so they can sign the player.

The market is artificially suppressed by the sloting system.  You can "overpay" and still be paying a lot less than what similar players were valued at just a few years ago.  Do you know the Dodgers spent 31M to sign Diaz? 

If you like you can view it as the O's not getting the discount the team that build up the relationship gets.

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

It also isn't as if all of them have the support of adults other than their agents when it comes to dealing with signing contracts with Major League Baseball clubs. Some may trust their agent only. And for all I know, some of those agents may have backroom-type deals where they get a kickback after the player has signed.

I would hope not considering how MLB has dealt with the Braves and Dodgers. 

Red Sox get hit too right?

Archived