Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

Frobby

Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/19 at 16:20

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The problem is that he hits FA at age 31 instead of 28. Nobody is going to give him 8/$200M at that age. If he is a $300M player (a big "if"), I have a hard time seeing him getting enough in free agency to get to that number. He would be much better off hitting FA in his prime at 25 or 26. This is similar to the Jones deal, which was massively favorable to the O's, and has the potential to be even more favorable to Atlanta (although some risk that he is less proven than Jones was).

There’s always the risk that he could have made more as a free agent.    But he’s eliminated the scenario where he gets hurt seriously and never sees a big payday.   He’s a terrific player and I think health is a much bigger risk for him than simply not being as good as people expected.   If healthy, he’s probably Andrew McCutchen or better.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s always the risk that he could have made more as a free agent.    But he’s eliminated the scenario where he gets hurt seriously and never sees a big payday.   He’s a terrific player and I think health is a much bigger risk for him than simply not being as good as people expected.   If healthy, he’s probably Andrew McCutchen or better.   

Sure, that would have been the risk for Manny too. If he stays healthy it probably favors the team. Hopefully they have some insurance against something catastropgic.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Braves apparently have agreed on an extension with Ozzie Albers, per Ken Rosenthal.    Terms not known yet.    The Braves aren’t fooling around.   

7 years 35 mil with the chance to be worth 45 mil. Jeff Passan tweeted that it is the least player friendly deal of all time. Or “worst deal” as he put it. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Braves apparently have agreed on an extension with Ozzie Albers, per Ken Rosenthal.    Terms not known yet.    The Braves aren’t fooling around.   

I've said before that locking guys up long term is the way to go.  I think the O's are going to be left holding the bag when the new CBA gets announced.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've said before that locking guys up long term is the way to go.  I think the O's are going to be left holding the bag when the new CBA gets announced.

"The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river."

Clifford Odets, "Sweet Smell of Success" (1957)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joelala said:

7 years 35 mil with the chance to be worth 45 mil. Jeff Passan tweeted that it is the least player friendly deal of all time. Or “worst deal” as he put it. 

What are the Braves doing, hypnotizing these guys?    They’ve set themselves up for a very nice decade.    

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

What are the Braves doing, hypnotizing these guys?    They’ve set themselves up for a very nice decade.    

Yea they certainly have set themselves up for quite a run.  Apparently both players are with smallish agencies who may have been motivated to get a deal done before their clients dropped them for a bigger agency.  Very unfortunate if true.