Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

Frobby

Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/19 at 16:20

Last year, before the season began and before he had played in the majors, the Phillies signed Scott Kingery to a deal that guaranteed him 6 years, $24 mm, with three club options at $13, $14 and $15 mm.    Kingery at the time was considered a top 35 prospect by BA, BP and MLB.com, and he was coming off a season where he posted a .987 OPS in AA and then .786 after being promoted to AAA.

As a result of his deal, the Phillies did not have to worry about service time, so Kingery spent all of 2018 on the major league roster.    He had a rough rookie season, posting a .605 OPS and being valued at -1.5 rWAR.

My question is, would you offer Hays that same deal and start him in the majors this year?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year, before the season began and before he had played in the majors, the Phillies signed Scott Kingery to a deal that guaranteed him 6 years, $24 mm, with three club options at $13, $14 and $15 mm.    Kingery at the time was considered a top 35 prospect by BA, BP and MLB.com, and he was coming off a season where he posted a .987 OPS in AA and then .786 after being promoted to AAA.

As a result of his deal, the Phillies did not have to worry about service time, so Kingery spent all of 2018 on the major league roster.    He had a rough rookie season, posting a .605 OPS and being valued at -1.5 rWAR.

My question is, would you offer Hays that same deal and start him in the majors this year?

Yes I would. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've stated before that I think it would be wise for teams to lock up their young talent before the next CBA.

Yup, this poll was created with you in mind.   But I thought it would be good to have a specific proposal on the table.   Kingery was the most recent example I could think of for someone who’d signed before he’d really played in the majors.    Hays, of course, did play for a couple of weeks in 2017.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If the Orioles think that Hays is a part of the team's future then I would do it. I think they're in a much better position to evaluate talent then I am, but my gut tells me locking him up would be a good/cost effective move. I just don't see Hays going the Jon Singleton route. He may not achieve superstar status, but I think his floor is pretty high (i.e. league average major leaguer)

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If the Orioles think that Hays is a part of the team's future then I would do it. I think they're in a much better position to evaluate talent then I am, but my gut tells me locking him up would be a good/cost effective move. I just don't see Hays going the Jon Singleton route. He may not achieve superstar status, but I think his floor is pretty high (i.e. league average major leaguer)

This seemingly conflicts with your No vote.