3/22 Cut(s)

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wilkerson is far from out of danger of being DFA'd.

I believe Jesus Sucre makes the team. That, to me, leads to a DFA by Alberto or Wilkerson...outside of those two, who are the other candidates if we sign someone another team lets go? Do they release both? Or would they hold on to one and let a P go? Probably a question for a different thread, but an interesting thought. Would letting Pedro Araujo go back to Chicago be an option? I'd like to see the Mike Wright experience finally end, but for some reason the Orioles don't seem to agree.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I believe Jesus Sucre makes the team. That, to me, leads to a DFA by Alberto or Wilkerson...outside of those two, who are the other candidates if we sign someone another team lets go? Do they release both? Or would they hold on to one and let a P go? Probably a question for a different thread, but an interesting thought. Would letting Pedro Araujo go back to Chicago be an option? I'd like to see the Mike Wright experience finally end, but for some reason the Orioles don't seem to agree.

Alberto first.

We also don't know if someone gets a 60 day IL stint, which frees up a 40 spot.

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

The would not release Alberto and Wilkerson.  They would DFA them in the hopes that they are not be claimed and can be outrighted to the O's minor league system.

The question about Araujo is Elias evaluation on whether a claimed player is worth more than Araujo.   If a starter was DFA'd and the O's liked him, Wilkerson or Araujo could be DFA'd.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Alberto first.

We also don't know if someone gets a 60 day IL stint, which frees up a 40 spot.

There in no injury to an O's  40 man roster player as of today that would merit a 60 day IL.   But that could happen at any time.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

There in no injury to an O's  40 man roster player as of today that would merit a 60 day IL.   But that could happen at any time.

Trumbo is a candidate. He had the same surgery as Pedroia, who thought he could play last season and only appeared in three games. And after a year, he's still not ready. If Trumbo could make the opening day squad he would be ahead of schedule. That doesn't look like it's going to happen. A 60-day IL stint could be a good precaution, would give the O's another roster spot and would allow insurance to pay for some of Trumbo's contract.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The would not release Alberto and Wilkerson.  They would DFA them in the hopes that they are not be claimed and can be outrighted to the O's minor league system.

The question about Araujo is Elias evaluation on whether a claimed player is worth more than Araujo.   If a starter was DFA'd and the O's liked him, Wilkerson or Araujo could be DFA'd.

Yes, I'm aware they'd try to keep them despite dropping them off the 40-man. Sorry for the sloppy references.

17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Trumbo is a candidate. He had the same surgery as Pedroia, who thought he could play last season and only appeared in three games. And after a year, he's still not ready. If Trumbo could make the opening day squad he would be ahead of schedule. That doesn't look like it's going to happen. A 60-day IL stint could be a good precaution, would give the O's another roster spot and would allow insurance to pay for some of Trumbo's contract.

Pedroia did not play in ST last year.  As a second baseman the bar is a lot higher for health than Trumbo as a DH.   I  think its pretty easy to say that Trumbo should not play in the cold of April with that knee.  But by May he can probably be ready considering he is swinging and  and jogging to first now.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pedroia did not play in ST last year.  As a second baseman the bar is a lot higher for health than Trumbo as a DH.   I  think its pretty easy to say that Trumbo should not play in the cold of April with that knee.  But by May he can probably be ready considering he is swinging and  and jogging to first now.

Anthony Santander played in Spring Training in 2017 and still got 60 day DL'ed.

Maybe they do it to Bleier to get him some extra reps that they think 10 days won't do much for.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I predict:

Alberto DFA
Smith makes it
Sucre makes it
Araujo makes it
Trumbo IL
Both Nunez and Ruiz make it
Still room for an extra reliever (I think) and I'll say Scott

If you are right then Nunez probably DHs at least some of the time and Mancini plays some DH and some LF.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If you are right then Nunez probably DHs at least some of the time and Mancini plays some DH and some LF.

I liked giving Nunez a chance but his glove is a liability. If our goal is to have good defense, speed and fundamentals....I would cut bait but that is me. It really doesn't matter too much, such minor moves in the bigger picture of things.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Anthony Santander played in Spring Training in 2017 and still got 60 day DL'ed.

Maybe they do it to Bleier to get him some extra reps that they think 10 days won't do much for.

Its not 10 days or 60 days.  The can be on the 10 day IL for months.

I must say, Young proved to be a real class act in the short time he was here.   I wouldn’t mind at all if he ended up back in our organization, though I do want all of Hays/Stewart/Santander/Diaz/McKenna getting full time at bats.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I must say, Young proved to be a real class act in the short time he was here.   I wouldn’t mind at all if he ended up back in our organization, though I do want all of Hays/Stewart/Santander/Diaz/McKenna getting full time at bats.   

I concur-he seems like a real class act, I am a fan. I hope the Nats grab him! MAT is out, Robles starting, can steal some bases..makes sense really.

Archived