Austin Hays: On The Mend!

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, weams said:

But celery takes more calories to digest than it supplies. Same thing with team speed...

Team speed and the value of stolen bases are two different arguments though. I'll take a team of mostly fast guys over a team of mostly slow footed power hitters any day of the week. What with all the other intangibles speed brings with it. (ie better range, routine grounders beaten out, more extra base hits on balls that don't clear the fence and last but not least, the extra base taken on a ball in play when already on base)

There certainly seems to be a lot of injuries with head first sliding, which is why we were always taught to feet first slider. Let's hope it's not too bad, but a thumb injury can linger and cost a good bit of the season even if it's not too bad. I don't like reading into things like a tweet, but that tweet from Hays was not encouraging.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

There certainly seems to be a lot of injuries with head first sliding, which is why we were always taught to feet first slider. Let's hope it's not too bad, but a thumb injury can linger and cost a good bit of the season even if it's not too bad. I don't like reading into things like a tweet, but that tweet from Hays was not encouraging.

He’s always tweeting things like that, so I wouldn’t make too much of it yet.   

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

His tweets are quite dramatic.

"Most negative of circumstances......" Considering the amount of time he's already missed due to injuries, If this injury is anything less than a 4-6 week absence I would be surprised. 

13 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

How is it that all the analytics guys haven't called for a system wide ban for sliding hands first?

Mancini missed a week for a hands first slide, how many are there every year?

The analytics guys pick players who don't slide head first to get an advantage.  Then wait for the inevitable undervaluing of head-first sliders and pick them up at a bargain, even when you consider the injury risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I wouldn’t call that a “real strength”. Trade Perez and get a better arm to replace him.
    • But that RH bat played a position that we had locked down because of the presence of Urias and Westburg. He wasn’t going to come up and play. If you wanted him to be the RH DH, that’s fine but the Os also lost Mounty and Mayo didn’t come up and play well. They decided that having those 4 players was enough depth to use Norby to get pitching. I don’t see that as being wrong at all…no one to predict what would happen after. They had that “position” locked down. Jimenez was just a lottery ticket and really he played a lot more than they probably thought because of all the injuries that occurred.  
    • The 2025 bullpen looks like a real strength. R - Bautista, Cano, Dominguez, Webb L - Coloumbe, Soto, Perez, Akin I like having the 4 lefties with the WALL and that should be enough for the regular season.  It allows us to really matchup and take advantage of our ballpark. That’s a pen with 4 former All Stars. I believe Akin will still have an option since he made it through the season without burning his last one.  He’d be the guy to go down to AAA for a longman/fresh arm when needed. Maybe we get our lightning in a bottle reliever throwing near 100 in McDermott or Morfe later in the year. I don’t think we see much turnover here.  However, I could see Elias electing not to bring back Soto for flexibility reasons, more so than salary reasons.  Could we actually “sell” Soto for something of value?
    • https://www.masnsports.com/blog/reviewing-orioles-recent-coaching-history-and-thoughts-on-what-s-next From Roch.    An immediate reaction to the current openings is that Triple-A Norfolk manager Buck Britton could be a candidate to fill one of them. They also could seek a bilingual coach now that González and Hernández are gone. Britton’s contract expires at the end of the month and he’s close with the young hitters who passed through Norfolk. He’s also gained the respect of other teams in the majors and could move on, which would leave the Orioles with another task.   
    • If we don’t resign Burnes then what are we doing as a franchise?  It’s hard to see any difference between Rubenstei and what we had before. A case can be made for not bringing back Santander.  Heck, even Soto, but with our SP injuries, and the way we’ve spent our draft capital, the plan looked to be to always land that big time SP from outside the org.  Well that happened.  Gotta keep him now.
    • He called it a solid trade at the time it was made and he’ll die before he admits he was wrong about something. 
    • There was a need for a RH bat. We used a major league ready RH bat (who was also serviceable in the field) in the trade for Rogers. We added a bad RH bat, who was not able to play defense at all.  Neither Eloy or Rogers were able to keep their spot on the roster, and we had two guys go down that would have opened spots for Norby. So yes, it does have something to do with the Rogers trade.
  • Popular Contributors