Pitching needs some normalcy

eddie83

Cashner starts Thursday on 3 days rest after going two innings his last spring start. 

Opener used on Saturday. 

Hess starts yesterday on 3 days rest after going 2 innings in relief on Thursday. 

There is no flow right now to anything regarding how the pitchers are being used and that includes the pen. We have already seen an extended outing by Givens a day after he pitched. 

The one thing about using an opener Saturday which made sense after an off day is that now they have to do that again on Wednesday. Last night Hyde said he only had 3 pitchers he wanted to use. 4 games into the season including an off day you should not have to be dealing with that.  

Once Cobb is back and with the off day Friday hopefully things settle down. This isn’t going to work for much longer. Who is even available tonight? 

Not trying to come across the wrong way here. Love how we are playing but you can’t handle pitchers like this. It won’t work. I realize the Cobb injury set much of this in motion but there was also other ways to handle it. It’s almost as if they let one injury impact 3 different games. 

What do they do after this weekend is over?  Does Wright start? I don’t think they can keep the opener in play unless Alberto goes and they go to a 9 man pen, 8 if Karns is viewed as a starter. In essence Karns is a 2 inning starting pitcher right now. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hess gave us a big dose of normalcy tonight. Quality Start. Those won’t happen much this year. 

The unorthodox pitching staff we have has helped us a bit so far. Seems like it bothered the Yankees a little bit. Seeing a bunch of guys like ST. 

Where is the Norfolk shuttle?????  I’m a broken record about saying Arajuo has no business being on the 40 man roster, let alone the 25. The pen would’ve been in much better shape with Yefry Ramirez or a guy like Ynoa out there. One inning relievers like Scott, Phillips, and Carroll, aren’t going to help too much. 

Btw, this team needs Alberto. Martin has been great so far, but we can’t run him into the ground. Alberto looked like the only other MLB SS on the ST roster. 

I know we were meant to lose and all, but damn Elias, step up and give Hyde a fresh arm. 

After Cashner tonight Castro is available and can go 3 or 4 innings if needed.  Fry should be available for 2 innings.    I hope they don't need them but Bleier and Wright are available for an inning.

The rotation looks like Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Hess and Karns/Yacabonis.  Karns could go 3 innings  tomorrow and Yacabonis could be stretched to 4 innings.   Wright looks like he will stay in the pen for a while IMO.

There is no need for a roster move right now.  The next move that I can see right now is Araujo optioned after the game on April 13th.  Phillips seems like the likely call up, though if help is needed in the rotation by that time it could be Rogers.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hess gave us a big dose of normalcy tonight. Quality Start. Those won’t happen much this year. 

The unorthodox pitching staff we have has helped us a bit so far. Seems like it bothered the Yankees a little bit. Seeing a bunch of guys like ST. 

Where is the Norfolk shuttle?????  I’m a broken record about saying Arajuo has no business being on the 40 man roster, let alone the 25. The pen would’ve been in much better shape with Yefry Ramirez or a guy like Ynoa out there. One inning relievers like Scott, Phillips, and Carroll, aren’t going to help too much. 

Btw, this team needs Alberto. Martin has been great so far, but we can’t run him into the ground. Alberto looked like the only other MLB SS on the ST roster. 

I know we were meant to lose and all, but damn Elias, step up and give Hyde a fresh arm. 

Phillips showed last season at AAA that he can go two innings when needed. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After Cashner tonight Castro is available and can go 3 or 4 innings if needed.  Fry should be available for 2 innings.    I hope they don't need them but Bleier and Wright are available for an inning.

The rotation looks like Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Hess and Karns/Yacabonis.  Karns could go 3 innings  tomorrow and Yacabonis could be stretched to 4 innings.   Wright looks like he will stay in the pen for a while IMO.

There is no need for a roster move right now.  The next move that I can see right now is Araujo optioned after the game on April 13th.  Phillips seems like the likely call up, though if help is needed in the rotation by that time it could be Rogers.

Then how many days will Castro be down for? Castro is the kind of guy to me that needs to be available for more games not sitting after going 3 innings. Givens is their best arm and no way he goes tonight. No Means. I would try to avoid Wright. He is obviously trying to avoid Araujo. 

This rotation is not good enough to do this. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Someone has to go for Cobb on Thursday. That is a definite move we have to make. 

You want to make bold moves like pulling Hess out with a no hitter. Then make another bold move and just suck it up and DFA Arajuo tomorrow. Add Yefry and then option someone for Cobb on Thursday. 

Arajuo is gone in the offseason anyway when we have to add a bunch of players for the Rule 5. 50 IP in the Eastern League isn’t going to change his lack of talent. Dude turns 26 in July. He was a 3rd round rule 5 pick haha. C’mon Elias, cut the cord with this guy. 

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Phillips showed last season at AAA that he can go two innings when needed. 

He can go two innings, but not like how Yefry, Rogers, and Ynoa can. 

If Elias doesn’t give us a fresh arm tonight it says a lot. 

Ok Hess let’s pull you because you’re overworked, well the whole darn pen is overworked already. Where’s the move to help the health of the pen?  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Someone has to go for Cobb on Thursday. That is a definite move we have to make. 

You want to make bold moves like pulling Hess out with a no hitter. Then make another bold move and just suck it up and DFA Arajuo tomorrow. Add Yefry and then option someone for Cobb on Thursday. 

Arajuo is gone in the offseason anyway when we have to add a bunch of players for the Rule 5. 50 IP in the Eastern League isn’t going to change his lack of talent. Dude turns 26 in July. He was a 3rd round rule 5 pick haha. C’mon Elias, cut the cord with this guy. 

I think either Fry or Means gets sent down for 10 days on Thursday.  Both have options.

Ramirez is behind Philllips and Rogers on the call up list IMO.

After Araujo meets his Rules 5 requirement on the 13th he can not only be optioned, he can also be DFA'd to Norfolk.  I don't see anyone claiming him if he is put on waivers.

Just now, wildcard said:

I think either Fry or Means gets sent down for 10 days on Thursday.  Both have options.

Ramirez is behind Philllips and Rogers on the call up list IMO.

After Araujo meets his Rules 5 requirement on the 13th he can not only be optioned, he can also be DFA'd to Norfolk.  I don't see anyone claiming him if he is put on waivers.

How the heck are we going to get to Thursday?  

Good thinking with Arajuo, but now we’re hamstringing an MLB roster for 10 days, so we can keep a guy that we’ve came to terms with losing him on Waivers?  That might be true. Just not a good look. 

Winning might not be the goal, but having the proper amount of fresh arms in the pen should be. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He can go two innings, but not like how Yefry, Rogers, and Ynoa can. 

If Elias doesn’t give us a fresh arm tonight it says a lot. 

Ok Hess let’s pull you because you’re overworked, well the whole darn pen is overworked already. Where’s the move to help the health of the pen?  

I think Hyde is doing a good job managing the pitching staff.  His only screw up was sending Givens out for that 2nd inning.

Castro pitched two innings on Saturday.  He has had two days off.  He actually needs to pitch tonight and he can probably go up to 4 innings if he is effective.   Fry didn't pitch last night and can probably go two if needed.   

Tomorrow Karns is probably scheduled to go 3 innings and Yacabonis 4 innings.    

From what I can see the pitching staff his doing fine.  They just need to get Bleier straighten out  which will happen.  He is too good a pitcher to keep giving up runs like he has to begin the season.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

How the heck are we going to get to Thursday?  

Good thinking with Arajuo, but now we’re hamstringing an MLB roster for 10 days, so we can keep a guy that we’ve came to terms with losing him on Waivers?  That might be true. Just not a good look. 

Winning might not be the goal, but having the proper amount of fresh arms in the pen should be. 

If Cashner does not go at least 6 tonight they are in trouble. You can’t put your relievers in harms way. Karns is prolly 3 tops on Wednesday. 

No Means tonight. 79 pitches on Sunday practically a regular start.

No Givens tonight. 

Would think he wants to stay away from Wright. 

Needs to keep some arms fresh for Karns tomorrow. Yac went 59 pitches on Saturday. Would think he is off till tomorrow. 

That leaves Fry, Castro and who else tonight? Bleier again? Araujo? 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Hyde is doing a good job managing the pitching staff.  His only screw up was sending Givens out for that 2nd inning.

Castro pitched two innings on Saturday.  He has had two days off.  He actually needs to pitch tonight and he can probably go up to 4 innings if he is effective.   Fry didn't pitch last night and can probably go two if needed.   

Tomorrow Karns is probably scheduled to go 3 innings and Yacabonis 4 innings.    

From what I can see the pitching staff his doing fine.  They just need to get Bleier straighten out  which will happen.  He is too good a pitcher to keep giving up runs like he has to begin the season.

Not a fan of Castro being used that long. He is too valuable as daily guy. You keep going multiple innings with guys they are down awhile. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If Cashner does not go at least 6 tonight they are in trouble. You can’t put your relievers in harms way. Karns is prolly 3 tops on Wednesday. 

No Means tonight. 79 pitches on Sunday practically a regular start.

No Givens tonight. 

Would think he wants to stay away from Wright. 

Needs to keep some arms fresh for Karns tomorrow. Yac went 59 pitches on Saturday. Would think he is off till tomorrow. 

That leaves Fry, Castro and who else tonight? Bleier again? Araujo? 

Wright should be able to go one tonight if needed which I hope they don't need him.  Cashner at least 4, Castro up to 4 and Fry up to 2 should be enough today.

Archived