Pitching needs some normalcy

eddie83

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Not a fan of Castro being used that long. He is too valuable as daily guy. You keep going multiple innings with guys they are down awhile. 

Castro, Yacabonis and Means are all multi inning guys right now.  They can all go up to 4 if needed.  If the starters settle in and begin going 5 or 6 innings than the will not need these  guys to go as long.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Wright should be able to go one tonight if needed which I hope they don't need him.  Cashner at least 4, Castro up to 4 and Fry up to 2 should be enough today.

At what cost?  You already know tomorrow is bullpen game. 

Look I know we are a 100 loss team on paper. I am not trying to think we are going places. That said the pitching strategy right now is basically throw whoever is available and try not to use Araujo while using an opener. 

Just now, wildcard said:

Castro, Yacabonis and Means are all multi inning guys right now.  They can all go up to 4 if needed.  If the starters settle in and begin going 5 or 6 innings than the will not need these  guys to go as long.

You go 3/4 innings then you are done for how many days? 

You already need one of those guys on an opener day. You also may have short starts or extra inning games. 

At what cost?  You already know tomorrow is bullpen game. 

Look I know we are a 100 loss team on paper. I am not trying to think we are going places. That said the pitching strategy right now is basically throw whoever is available and try not to use Araujo while using an opener. 

Tomorrow Karns 3, Yac 4,  Givens is back,  Wright is will be  available if he isn't needed tonight.     Bleier also.  They are doing fine.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Tomorrow Karns 3, Yac 4,  Givens is back,  Wright is will be  available if he isn't needed tonight.     Bleier also.  They are doing fine.   

Fine is not a word I would be using. 

Ultimately they better go to a true 5th starter like Wright, which may be the plan or a shorter bench. I have no desire to see any pen arms like Givens pushed. He should be taken care of so hopefully we can deal him for the right package. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You go 3/4 innings then you are done for how many days? 

You already need one of those guys on an opener day. You also may have short starts or extra inning games. 

One day off for every inning pitcher up to 4.   If a guy pitches one inning are can probably give a another inning the day after.  That only works two days in a row.

Covering the short start and the extra innings is why I think they may keep Means and send down Fry on Thursday.  Means can go more inning.  

If they do get into short starts and extra inning that is when the Norfolk shuttle get used.  Rogers and Philips are next up with Ramirez 3rd on my list. 

Just now, wildcard said:

One day off for every inning pitcher up to 4.   If a guy pitches one inning are can probably give a another inning the day after.  That only works two days in a row.

Covering the short start and the extra innings is why I think they may keep Means and send down Fry on Thursday.  Means can go more inning.  

If they do get into short starts and extra inning that is when the Norfolk shuttle get used.  Rogers and Philips are next up with Ramirez 3rd on my list. 

If this season is about developing arms the last thing we need to see is a bunch of back and forth. That is a strategy more for contending teams  

Minor league season starts Thursday. Need innings down there also.  

Fine is not a word I would be using. 

Ultimately they better go to a true 5th starter like Wright, which may be the plan or a shorter bench. I have no desire to see any pen arms like Givens pushed. He should be taken care of so hopefully we can deal him for the right package. 

I think they are stretching out Yacabonis and Means to 4 innings so that can enter the rotation if needed.  Karns to 3 innings this turn and 4 innings the next turn.  Then he is ready for the rotation.   

Its not all going to work as planned.  We will just have to see how it goes.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

This is silly.

The team is 3-1, took 2 out of 3 with the Yankees.

Are they going to the WS, not this season.

But dang, enjoy the wins.

Reading this, you would have thought the team was 0-21.

Not the point Rick. 

4th game of season and you have only 3 pen arms available. Not good. Givens already pushed. Guys pitching on odd rest.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Where is the Norfolk shuttle?????  I

Hopefully derailed.  Never was a fan of the shuttle.  Guys would come in and pitch well and then get sent back down to get another guy up.  May have helped in the short term in some instances but I think long term hurts morale and leads to frustration.  I'm hopeful that that line of thinking is a thing of the past.

Assuming Cashner sucks tonight, he has to go 4+ anyway. He just has to take one for the bullpen. Yac and Araujo finish up the last 3+. The odds of scoring a lot of runs off Stroman are not good, so we lose big tonight. At that point the bullpen is reset and rested. Araujo gets replace by a real pitcher in less than two weeks.

Look for 3 from Karns and 4 from Means tomorrow. That gets us to the back of the pen and no one needs to go more than an inning unless we go extras. 

If Karns and Means can be stretched out and perform well over the next few weeks, they become rotation options if needed. Either could be a good candidate for replacing the bullpen "operner" games and Cashner.

Archived