O’s draft allotment: $13.8 mm

Frobby

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Arizona has a lot more. Over 2M more. 4 picks in the First 79. Should be able to go over slot for someone. Big big draft

I remember being excited when I thought the O's were going to get draft picks for Wieters, Chen and Davis.  Four first round picks would have gone a long way to rebuilding the farm.

Yea.

This should be an exciting draft. There is some depth. I’d like to see the Orioles make a trade to pick up a Comp Balance A or B pick. Too bad Dan Duquette isn’t a GM for another team with one of those picks. 

37 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

This should be an exciting draft. There is some depth. I’d like to see the Orioles make a trade to pick up a Comp Balance A or B pick. Too bad Dan Duquette isn’t a GM for another team with one of those picks. 

That'd really give them some flexibility.

With 1-1, they should be able to go overslot on their 2nd, Comp B, or 3rd round pick. 

Potential overslots at those spots include

Draft eligible College Sophs - Brady McConnell, Drey Jameson, Greg Jones, Tanner Morris, Gabe Holt

JUCO talent - Jackson Rutledge, Carter Stewart, Ivan Johnson, Antoine Kelly, Thomas Farr

1st round College talents who have fallen due to injury - Graeme Stinson, Kenyon Yovan

High School tough signs - Jack Leiter, Joe Charles, Jerrion Ealy, Spencer Jones (inj)

Any HS who falls. 

I wonder if Elias will be allowed to spend all that money.  I know you guys will say in the  past the team spent all their allotment but Peter isn't running the club anymore and every move the Orioles have made since the sons took over is about saving money.

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wonder if Elias will be allowed to spend all that money.  I know you guys will say in the  past the team spent all their allotment but Peter isn't running the club anymore and every move the Orioles have made since the sons took over is about saving money.

To my knowledge, the Orioles have spent all of their draft allotment since the implementation of the pool, I wouldn't expect this year to be any different. 

37 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

To my knowledge, the Orioles have spent all of their draft allotment since the implementation of the pool, I wouldn't expect this year to be any different. 

Different person running the team. I wouldn't use any past years as evidence to what will happen this year. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Different person running the team. I wouldn't use any past years as evidence to what will happen this year. 

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here.    The team is building for the future and the main way you do that is through the draft.    

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That'd really give them some flexibility.

With 1-1, they should be able to go overslot on their 2nd, Comp B, or 3rd round pick. 

Potential overslots at those spots include

Draft eligible College Sophs - Brady McConnell, Drey Jameson, Greg Jones, Tanner Morris, Gabe Holt

JUCO talent - Jackson Rutledge, Carter Stewart, Ivan Johnson, Antoine Kelly, Thomas Farr

1st round College talents who have fallen due to injury - Graeme Stinson, Kenyon Yovan

High School tough signs - Jack Leiter, Joe Charles, Jerrion Ealy, Spencer Jones (inj)

Any HS who falls. 

I like many of the names you’ve written here. With what I know of Joseph Charles, I would steer far and clear. There is a lot going on with him that doesn’t bode well. 

I’d be surprised if Carter Stewart is still available for our second pick.

Just now, Jammer7 said:

I like many of the names you’ve written here. With what I know of Joseph Charles, I would steer far and clear. There is a lot going on with him that doesn’t bode well. 

I’d be surprised if Carter Stewart is still available for our second pick.

Without going into any details, make-up issues with Charles? 

There are a few of the guys I listed that I wouldn't want on an overslot deal, but was just throwing candidates out there. I like McConnell, Jameson, Morris, Johnson, Spencer Jones and Yovan more than most draft ranking services. I'm lower on Stinson, Stewart, and Greg Jones. About in-line with the other guys. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here.    The team is building for the future and the main way you do that is through the draft.    

27 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This seems like worry for the sake of worry.  You could use this logic to justify any negative prediction.

Adding to Frobby and Boh's responses:

1. Every word out of Elias' mouth has reinforced the idea that he's realigning our finances to focus more on the draft, international market and player development. If he doesn't spend, it would mean he and the Angelos brothers are flat out lying to us.

2. If there is any place to spend, it's the Rule IV draft. This is where you get the most bang for your buck. Even more than the international market and certainly more than free agency.

3. So if Elias and the Angelos' are lying, they're essentially tanking every aspect of running the organization. That makes zero sense, even for most conspiracy theorists.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Without going into any details, make-up issues with Charles? 

There are a few of the guys I listed that I wouldn't want on an overslot deal, but was just throwing candidates out there. I like McConnell, Jameson, Morris, Johnson, Spencer Jones and Yovan more than most draft ranking services. I'm lower on Stinson, Stewart, and Greg Jones. About in-line with the other guys. 

Make-up issues, yes. Very erratic performance history. Will be injury concerns with Charles’ delivery. At times, has good stuff, but for me, with what I know...hard pass. I also believe he is already 19. 

I gotcha on the others. McConnell, I think, will hit. Not a SS, and really not sure where I would play him at the moment, but I think he’ll hit. I have liked his ceiling for years.

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Make-up issues, yes. Very erratic performance history. Will be injury concerns with Charles delivery. At times, has good stuff, but for me, with what I know...hard pass. I also believe he is already 19. 

I gotcha on the others. McConnell, I think, will hit. Not a SS, and really not sure where I would play him at the moment, but I think he’ll hit. I have liked his ceiling for years.

Gotcha, he used to have a very high elbow. He's cleaned the mechanics up a good deal though, here's this spring, it looks much better. I'm with you on all the other stuff though. 

McConnell has just a wacky pre-swing and load right now, but he's still hitting because his hands and bat speed are that good. I think you get the right development guys on him and he's a mid-first round talent. 

Archived