O’s draft allotment: $13.8 mm

Frobby

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Gotcha, he used to have a very high elbow. He's cleaned the mechanics up a good deal though, here's this spring, it looks much better. I'm with you on all the other stuff though. 

McConnell has just a wacky pre-swing and load right now, but he's still hitting because his hands and bat speed are that good. I think you get the right development guys on him and he's a mid-first round talent. 

Yeah, the mechanics come and go. Consistency with it. Has had some of the best coaching along the way. I hope he does well and n all phases. He can actually hit as well, but he’s a pitcher at the next level capable of t98. Hopefully, he can mature and do well at UNC. Similar in some ways to Cecchoni from last year, just a lot of risk there. Too many unknowns.

Another Orlando area guy at TNXL/Scorpions academy is Hylan Hall. Mercurial personality, but talent is there. A lot of athleticism and quick twitch. Toolsy OF with a lot of upside. Committed to Miami. Should probably go there for same reasons as Charles. But he’s one to watch in three years. 

Agreed on McConnell’s mechanics. But those things can be worked out. He’s an athlete, similar in size to Mountcastle, but arm strength is not an issue. I’m thinking OF with him and think he can handle CF. Gators’ defense is dreadful this year, and it’s too bad because of the pitching talent they have. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jammer7 said:

Agreed on McConnell’s mechanics. But those things can be worked out. He’s an athlete, similar in size to Mountcastle, but arm strength is not an issue. I’m thinking OF with him and think he can handle CF. Gators’ defense is dreadful this year, and it’s too bad because of the pitching talent they have. 

Yeah, he's quick enough to give CF a shot, good call. Regarding the Gators, I've watched a couple games, but I'm sure you've probably seen them more.

What do you think of Dyson's struggles and their draft eligible OFs (Dalton, Langworthy, and Maldonado)? 

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, he's quick enough to give CF a shot, good call. Regarding the Gators, I've watched a couple games, but I'm sure you've probably seen them more.

What do you think of Dyson's struggles and their draft eligible OFs (Dalton, Langworthy, and Maldonado)? 

I have only seen 4-5 games this year. Have not even been to Gainesville or Tallahassee this year.

Have not seen much of Dyson, but I have heard he was overthrowing/draftiitis. Young fella has some control issues at the moment, but I have not seen him much this year. I have seen Tommy Mace, and he is impressive for next year. 

Maldonado is only 5-10, not toolsy or very athletic. He’s a senior leadership guy that will be organizational depth in pro ball to me. Langworthy I believe is starting to show some signs of life. Dalton was banged up a bit, but he played through it from what I have heard. And honestly, not real impressed with either. I know Dalton had some numbers last year, but I think there was always a lot of holes in their swings. That said, I have not had an opportunity to dissect their swings. 

They moved a great young man, Calilao, from RF to 1B and he has a canon of an arm. The freshman Fabian, who should still be in high school/early graduation in December. He’s a stud. So, their OF future is bright. 

FSU has a stud Freshman Elijah Cabell from Winter Park/TNXL. The ball jumps off his bat. Issues off the field, but mostly stuff that should be fine with maturity. 

Man, I have not even seen Riley Green since the Fall. I have been real busy with work and coaching my own little guy. 8U sure has become a lot of work compared to 11 years ago! lol

I need to retire and get paid to watch baseball. 

10 hours ago, waroriole said:

Not sure where we talk about the #1 pick, but Addley is hitting better this year than last. HR power seems to be developing (8 HR in 27 games vs. 9 in 67 last year). I don’t see a better candidate for the #1 pick. 

In the draft sub-forum, there is a Luke’s draft musings thread with a bunch of my draft thoughts including under the radar later round types. Also there is a thread in the minor league sub-forum called Rutschman and Wieters where I comment on Rutschman as well. Or just search my name and Rutschman and you’ll find a lot, Ive seen a lot of him this season and he’s in a tier of his own at the top of the draft.

15 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I have only seen 4-5 games this year. Have not even been to Gainesville or Tallahassee this year.

Have not seen much of Dyson, but I have heard he was overthrowing/draftiitis. Young fella has some control issues at the moment, but I have not seen him much this year. I have seen Tommy Mace, and he is impressive for next year. 

Maldonado is only 5-10, not toolsy or very athletic. He’s a senior leadership guy that will be organizational depth in pro ball to me. Langworthy I believe is starting to show some signs of life. Dalton was banged up a bit, but he played through it from what I have heard. And honestly, not real impressed with either. I know Dalton had some numbers last year, but I think there was always a lot of holes in their swings. That said, I have not had an opportunity to dissect their swings. 

They moved a great young man, Calilao, from RF to 1B and he has a canon of an arm. The freshman Fabian, who should still be in high school/early graduation in December. He’s a stud. So, their OF future is bright. 

FSU has a stud Freshman Elijah Cabell from Winter Park/TNXL. The ball jumps off his bat. Issues off the field, but mostly stuff that should be fine with maturity. 

Man, I have not even seen Riley Green since the Fall. I have been real busy with work and coaching my own little guy. 8U sure has become a lot of work compared to 11 years ago! lol

I need to retire and get paid to watch baseball. 

100% agree on Maldonado, I have flat bat path, fringe bat speed next to his name on my draft spreadsheet. Dalton has raw pop can't hit breaking balls. Langworthy has some bat speed but I hate the bat path, it's down on the ball unless he really catches it way out front. 

22 hours ago, atomic said:

I wonder if Elias will be allowed to spend all that money.  I know you guys will say in the  past the team spent all their allotment but Peter isn't running the club anymore and every move the Orioles have made since the sons took over is about saving money.

I hope not, that would mean the worst of your rebuilding fears are spot on.  It would mean the Orioles are not rebuilding but simply going cheap to pocket as much money as possible until the MLB forces a sale.  Is that possible.  Sure I guess.  But I think that possibility was almost completely exhausted with the choice of Elias as GM.  There is much to worry about going forward, but the above should not be one of them.

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

100% agree on Maldonado, I have flat bat path, fringe bat speed next to his name on my draft spreadsheet. Dalton has raw pop can't hit breaking balls. Langworthy has some bat speed but I hate the bat path, it's down on the ball unless he really catches it way out front. 

Thanks! I will watch Dalton and Langworthy more intently. I generally watch those games to see the kids I know. 

26 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Thanks! I will watch Dalton and Langworthy more intently. I generally watch those games to see the kids I know. 

Langworthy in particular had some early round buzz going into the year, but I never really got the hype. He's struggled a lot this season so I think that's faded now. 

25 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Langworthy in particular had some early round buzz going into the year, but I never really got the hype. He's struggled a lot this season so I think that's faded now. 

Yeah, I had read that and was never able to see why. Heard he’s beginning to hit lately. Kris Armstrong, son of Reds and Marlins Pitcher Jack Armstrong, is an absolute stud. May see him more and more. When iIve seen him, short to the ball, flat through the zone with some lift at the end. Barrels hard contact consistently. 

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Any thought Rutschman might be moved off catcher once pro?  I have heard is very good there but sometimes when a bat is that good it's worth protecting it from the rigors of catching. 

Why not take Andrew Vaughn and save a bunch of pool money?

Archived