The Silver Lining Report: Game 6/162 (O's Lose 5-3)

interloper

The 2018 team won 3 road series. The 2019 team has won 2 and they haven't even played at home yet.

•  Nate Karns: Sharper command in this one, and he continues to look good as an opener. The O's, I think, are wisely slow-playing him. 0.00 ERA.

• Jimmy Yacabonis: Just the one solo home run in 2.1 IP and he's proving to be a valuable long guy/piggyback so far. I never quite bought him as an outright starting pitcher, so I'm glad he's settling into this current role. Nifty double play on a liner hit right into his glove.

• Richard Bleier: There we go. Bleier's third outing had him looking like the guy we know. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 walks in 1.2 IP.  Nicely done, Dick.

• Matt Wotherspoon: Just giving him some love for his first ML appearance since he's already been sent packing. He did chew 2 innings which is what shuttle guys like him are supposed to do. Enabled the O's to only use 4 pitchers in a bullpen game, which is nice heading into the homestand. Only 1 walk. Interested to see if the O's think there's something more to be harnessed here.

• Trey Mancini: Boom Boom goes yard again with a 111 mph 3-run shot to CF. The kid is on ?! Made an, uh, athletic play out in RF and, most importantly, avoided slamming into the wall. 

• Dwight Smith Jr.: His hit streak continued, sure, but it was a better defensive night for him as he made a sliding grab on a shallow ball in the Bermuda Triangle, and later threw out a runner at 3B. 

• Pedro Severino: 2 hits!  Threw out a runner!

• Mini ?s: Ruiz double, Núñez not hurt on the HBP. 

A pretty quiet one, but the O's held their own in a bullpen game and made a little run of it at the end.

Happy Home Opener!  

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

The 2018 team won 3 road series. The 2019 team has won 2 and they haven't even played at home yet.

•  Nate Karns: Sharper command in this one, and he continues to look good as an opener. The O's, I think, are wisely slow-playing him. 0.00 ERA.

• Jimmy Yacabonis: Just the one solo home run in 2.1 IP and he's proving to be a valuable long guy/piggyback so far. I never quite bought him as an outright starting pitcher, so I'm glad he's settling into this current role. Nifty double play on a liner hit right into his glove.

• Richard Bleier: There we go. Bleier's third outing had him looking like the guy we know. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 walks in 1.2 IP.  Nicely done, Dick.

• Matt Wotherspoon: Just giving him some love for his first ML appearance since he's already been sent packing. He did chew 2 innings which is what shuttle guys like him are supposed to do. Enabled the O's to only use 4 pitchers in a bullpen game, which is nice heading into the homestand. Only 1 walk. Interested to see if the O's think there's something more to be harnessed here.

• Trey Mancini: Boom Boom goes yard again with a 111 mph 3-run shot to CF. The kid is on ?! Made an, uh, athletic play out in RF and, most importantly, avoided slamming into the wall. 

• Dwight Smith Jr.: His hit streak continued, sure, but it was a better defensive night for him as he made a sliding grab on a shallow ball in the Bermuda Triangle, and later threw out a runner at 3B. 

• Pedro Severino: 2 hits!  Threw out a runner!

• Mini ?s: Ruiz double, Núñez not hurt on the HBP. 

A pretty quiet one, but the O's held their own in a bullpen game and made a little run of it at the end.

Happy Home Opener!  

You kinda have to be in em to win em, and while this one kinda got away late, I like that the bullpen game was kept within reach and that the O's kept fighting.  Nice road trip.  Two Series Win.  Good luck at home!

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

At least Araujo was paid a major league salary from the beginning of last season until yesterday. Compared to whatever he was making in A ball, the dude hit the lotto. 

Plus Araujo has earned lifetime pension and health benefits. In addition to a years pay, even at major league minimum, he’ll be fine.

Archived