O's Moves that need to be made

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

None of this anytime real soon.    

Hyde is going to be patient and let guys grow, even if winning isn’t maximized.    I think Davis will get some days off but they’re all going to keep playing for a while.   

I agree on Davis but I’d thought they would keep Pedro given the minimal time too so open mind. There is hope. Davis is wasted space and he is rich beyond what we could imagine, so let’s not feel bad for him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I agree on Davis but I’d thought they would keep Pedro given the minimal time too so open mind. There is hope. Davis is wasted space and he is rich beyond what we could imagine, so let’s not feel bad for him.

I feel bad for him.   I just don’t want to watch him play baseball.

52 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We are a week into the season with a team that’s main purpose is to give guys chances to see what we have in them, there is no reason to start cutting guys playing time and moving guys all over the place and maybe hurting their confidence.  This is what I was most afraid of fans jumping screaming mad because a guy struggles for a short period demanding changes.  This is going to be a rather long rebuild sit down relax let the guys get their feet wet and a good two months atleast before being ready to start benching them.  The only move that might make sense is Davis being benched more but their are millions of reasons why that too may take time.

I think you’re exactly right regarding the new guys, but most of the screaming is about Davis and Wright, Plus a little bit about complaining about And game strategy by Hyde.

its clear that Wright and Davis are bad and should be moved,  and that  Would actually make it easier to evaluate guys, because it would open up a couple of valuable roster spots.

All we need to look at is the questionable lineups used by the LA Dodgers in the playoffs last fall and see that the Analytical Teams that are fieldedare not what is generally believed to be correct.  Before  Hyde gets hung out to dry , let us see if the blame is on him or the Analytics.

Wright has a track record of total regression after a couple of good innings.  He is one of the first I would trade/DFA and soon.  A career WHIP with over 230 innings that is above 1.500 is enough for me. 

53 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

This team is going to lose 100+ games no matter what changes because of the overall lack of talent. Some nice ballplayers and a great attitude, but not a good team. Nothing needs to happen immediately. 

I don't agree.   Yes the team is not as talented as the competition and therefore they are not likely to be in the race in July.   They will probably have a sell off at the trade deadline.

However, that does not mean the team should not make moves to try to win.  Hyde's charter to to win as many games as he can with the talent the has.   He needs to keep the attitude positive and the best way to do that is to show that he is trying to compete.

Therefore if Martin and Mullins show they are not going to hit then finding out what Alberto and Jackson can do makes sense.   That does mean burying Martin and Mullins, they both can play defense.  But for all we or Hyde knows so can Alberto and Jackson if put in the right situations.  And right now I would think Alberto and Jackson have a better chance to hit.

Wright is probably going to be DFA'd in the near future but I don't expect to see him replaced with a prospect.  The prospect are stay at AAA. Instead I think we will see Lucas or Gilmartin or some other non prospect that might be better that Wright.

So I do not agree with just throwing the same guys out there that aren't hitting.  I think there may be some players that can play defense and hit on this team.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't agree.   Yes the team is not as talented as the competition and therefore they are not likely to be in the race in July.   They will probably have a sell off at the trade deadline.

However, that does not mean the team should not make moves to try to win.  Hyde's charter to to win as many games as he can with the talent the has.   He needs to keep the attitude positive and the best way to do that is to show that he is trying to compete.

Therefore if Martin and Mullins show they are not going to hit then finding out what Alberto and Jackson can do makes sense.   That does mean burying Martin and Mullins, they both can play defense.  But for all we or Hyde knows so can Alberto and Jackson if put in the right situations.  And right now I would think Alberto and Jackson have a better chance to hit.

Wright is probably going to be DFA'd in the near future but I don't expect to see him replaced with a prospect.  The prospect are stay at AAA. Instead I think we will see Lucas or Gilmartin or some other non prospect that might be better that Wright.

So I do not agree with just throwing the same guys out there that aren't hitting.  I think there may be some players that can play defense and hit on this team.

Making major changes after one week doesn't make anything more positive. What if they don't work? Giving guys more playing time as they earn it is a different story, but it doesn't necessarily mean giving the starter's job to the replacement. It's a long season, plenty of time to make changes.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

However, that does not mean the team should not make moves to try to win.  Hyde's charter to to win as many games as he can with the talent the has. 

I am not sure I agree with the last sentence.    The O’s are in the process of developing players and testing what they can do.   Sometimes that means putting a player in a tough situation, even one where they might be in a little over their head, and seeing how they handle it, both during that situation and afterwards.    

I expect Hyde to test a lot of his players this way, and sometimes that will be inconsistent with maximizing the chances to win that day’s game.   I particularly think that’s going to be true in the opening weeks of the season.    

Martin should start if he is on the team. If he isn't good enough for the major leagues release him. He is 24 if you waste a whole season on him and put him in the minors next season he will be 25 which he would spend in AAA.  Then he would be ready to be at age 26 or 27?  Better to put him under fire now. If he can't handle it DFA him. They should have gotten a real shortstop during the off-season but now it is what it is and play him and if he looks like Davis with the bat send him back to the Atheletics. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I feel bad for him.   I just don’t want to watch him play baseball.

I agree with you. I'm really disappointed in some of the comments on here. I understand the frustration of watching him, but there's no reason to wish ill will on him. These contracts are a two way street.

18 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I agree with you. I'm really disappointed in some of the comments on here. I understand the frustration of watching him, but there's no reason to wish ill will on him. These contracts are a two way street.

Exactly. And there's a lot more to life than how much money you have. Money is great and provides a lot of freedom that a lot of people don't have access to. But the public shame from being overpaid and becoming terrible at your craft isn't exactly fun. 

13 hours ago, ChuckS said:

You really think a Rule V pick who hit .250 with a 30 percent K rate in Bowie last year and has never played much OF is a better option than Mullins?

I rather Jackson and Martin rotate at SS.  They are the guys we are trying to develop.  Alberto is not part of this team's future and there is no reason to play him everyday.  

I would also question why you are coming to these conclusions after one week's worth of games. Mullins needs to be given until mid-May at the very least to show that he's not overmatched before any changes are considered and Jackson's not the guy I would replace him with.  

I doubt Jackson is any worse than Mullins.

Mullins is not a player.

Archived