The Silver Lining Report: Game 7 (O's lose 8-4)

interloper

A tale of two games, really. In this thread, we just talk about the one.

• Opening Day: Classy and fun as usual. Lovely weather. The new food is great. Fresh coat of paint around the concourse. Updated signage. The weird dark bar is gone and replaced with rows of self-serve beer cans (genius). Boog's got a facelift. There's a cool Airstream trailer bar. Boog was out and about mingling with fans as usual. 

• Joe Angel: Fired a strike from the top of the mound and got a rousing ovation. Love ya, Joe.

• Brandon Hyde: An enormous ovation when introduced proving that Baltimore fans love a manager they feel they can get behind. I'm sure that was surprising for him. 

• Alex Cobb: Scattered 5 hits over 5.2 and struck out Judge a bunch. I'll take this kind of outing from him all day. The split-change was mostly working, which is already an improvement on how he started off with it last year.

• Jonathan Villar: Leadoff dong! Chilling with a cool .988 OPS. 

• Renato Núñez: 2-4 with an RBI and he's heating up a little. Scampered home on a wild pitch.

• Joey Rickard: Keeps hitting. 2-4, one of which is probably a double if not for Judge's arm. 

• John Means: Kept them close for an inning or so after the implosion. 2 Ks in 1.1 IP.  Yankees continue to be mystified by his changeup. 

• Hanser Alberto: The guy comes off the bench and gets hits. Another PH single for him.

• Yankees: Look sloppy despite the win. Allowed runs on a balk and wild pitch, got a runner thrown out on a strike 'em out throw 'em out double play. 

• Mini ?s: Smith double, Givens pickoff at second, Martin's 2nd hit of the season was a hard line drive off Chapman, hit and a walk for Ruiz. 

• Errors: 0

So here are a few unwritten rules of fan booing as I understand them:

1. Yankees fans: Boo whomever you want, whenever you want. You’re passionate. You demand baseball performance that’s worthy of 27 rings. So it’s okay across the board. Boo Giancarlo Stanton in his home debut. Boo the All-Star game MVP because he plays for a rival. Heck, boo Honey Boo Boo. Boo is part of her name after all.
  2. Phillies fans: Boo. Don’t boo. Either way you’ll be accused of doing it and hear endless references to booing Santa Claus.
  3. Orioles fans: Never boo. Not Mark Teixeira. Not Hyun Soo Kim. Not Denys Baez. Not Terry Mathews. Orioles fans aren’t allowed to boo anyone. We need 24 more rings before it’s okay.

Opinions will vary. Just make sure they’re strongly held.

https://roarfrom34.com/2019/04/05/what-are-the-unwritten-rules-for-booing-baseball-players/

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

A tale of two games, really. In this thread, we just talk about the one.

• Opening Day: Classy and fun as usual. Lovely weather. The new food is great. Fresh coat of paint around the concourse. Updated signage. The weird dark bar is gone and replaced with rows of self-serve beer cans (genius). Boog's got a facelift. There's a cool Airstream trailer bar. Boog was out and about mingling with fans as usual. 

• Joe Angel: Fired a strike from the top of the mound and got a rousing ovation. Love ya, Joe.

• Brandon Hyde: An enormous ovation when introduced proving that Baltimore fans love a manager they feel they can get behind. I'm sure that was surprising for him. 

• Alex Cobb: Scattered 5 hits over 5.2 and struck out Judge a bunch. I'll take this kind of outing from him all day. The split-change was mostly working, which is already an improvement on how he started off with it last year.

• Jonathan Villar: Leadoff dong! Chilling with a cool .988 OPS. 

• Renato Núñez: 2-4 with an RBI and he's heating up a little. Scampered home on a wild pitch.

• Joey Rickard: Keeps hitting. 2-4, one of which is probably a double if not for Judge's arm. 

• John Means: Kept them close for an inning or so after the implosion. 2 Ks in 1.1 IP. 

• Hanser Alberto: The guy comes off the bench and gets hits. Another PH single for him.

• Yankees: Look sloppy despite the win. Allowed runs on a balk and wild pitch, got a runner thrown out on a strike 'em out throw 'em out double play. 

• Mini ?s: Smith double, Givens pickoff at second, Martin's 2nd hit of the season was a hard line drive off Chapman, hit and a walk for Ruiz. 

• Errors: 0

I was surprised with who the cheers went up for. Both introduction and during the game. 

18 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I watched the whole game. Would have turned it off after Wright gave up the home run last year. So, that was something.

I turned off the sound and walked the dog but brought it up on the phone to watch Means.  I like him.

I've been able to enjoy basically all of the games but the Davis thing is beginning to finally wear on me. I know he's not technically blocking anybody but I still feel bad for the other guys who are out there trying to win with a teammate who is clearly the worst player in baseball. At a certain point, I'm not going to be able to watch this day in and day out and will just watch the games he's not starting. What's going on now is far more embarrassing than paying him millions of dollars after DFAing him.

20 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I've been able to enjoy basically all of the games but the Davis thing is beginning to finally wear on me. I know he's not technically blocking anybody but I still feel bad for the other guys who are out there trying to win with a teammate who is clearly the worst player in baseball. At a certain point, I'm not going to be able to watch this day in and day out and will just watch the games he's not starting. What's going on now is far more embarrassing than paying him millions of dollars after DFAing him.

For me, it's not so bad watching on TV, especially away games. To hear the unfortunate boos yesterday was a bummer, especially at the home opener. And if that continues at home games, it's going to be hard for the organization to ignore.

The way I think about boos is that it means the fans are at their most ready for you to do something great. For example, if Davis were to have come up with a big hit yesterday, the stadium would have erupted. No question in my mind. Fans want him to be good. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

For me, it's not so bad watching on TV, especially away games. To hear the unfortunate boos yesterday was a bummer, especially at the home opener. And if that continues at home games, it's going to be hard for the organization to ignore.

The way I think about boos is that it means the fans are at their most ready for you to do something great. For example, if Davis were to have come up with a big hit yesterday, the stadium would have erupted. No question in my mind. Fans want him to be good. 

Watching someone fail every time they try to do something, in front of thousands of people every night, with no reasonable expectation for any change just inspires a visceral reaction for me. It's not something I'd like to watch every night on a human level. I try to enjoy all of the achievements of the 24 other players, but watching someone humiliate themselves just makes me sad.

Archived