Dan Straily 2019

interloper

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

Isn't he getting his 5 million from the Marlins since they just released him? If he signs a new deal does his 5 million go away?

I would think that whoever gets Straily just has to pay the minimum major league salary with the Marlins paying the rest.

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Isn't he getting his 5 million from the Marlins since they just released him? If he signs a new deal does his 5 million go away?

His contract with the Marlins was not guaranteed, so they only had to pay him for 45 days. He is a free agent and can sign for anything.

2 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

No.  When an arb-eligible player is tendered a contract and the tender offer is accepted, as in this case, the team owes the player a percentage of the contract amount if they release the player prior to the season.  I think it is somewhere around 20 or 25%.  In Strally's case, the Marlins owe him somewhere around a million dollars or a little more, and he is free to sign with another team as a free agent.  Does anyone here know the exact percentage?

4 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

They only have to pay him $1.2 million, which is a percentage of his contract. The rest they get to keep. So 3.8 million would match what he would’ve gotten from Miami if he remained with them, so I presume that the offers are around there.

1 minute ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Interesting. This is some pretty big stuff. I guess they thought Drew couldn't shake it. 

I'm surprised a bit about Jackson but considering his lack of playing time in the first seven games, it was becoming apparent the team was less than concerned about getting him playing time. I watched Jackson' BP yesterday and wasn't real impressed, but I did think he had some upside after watching him a bit this spring. 

Personally I'd rather seen them DFA Wright.

Archived