Drew Jackson Appreciation Thread

mdbdotcom

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It chaps my ass that Davis still exists on the club when EVERYONE KNOWS HE NEEDS TO GO.

Obviously that doesn't just happen in an afternoon but sheesh.  I bet Jackson is better than Davis.

Even if Davis was let go I dont see Jackson making it through a season.

Hopefully the Orioles skip the rule 5 next year.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, atomic said:

Hopefully the Orioles skip the rule 5 next year.

I'm not sure all about that. I mean, maybe.  But Davis being DFA'd makes it easier for everyone.  You're right, Jackson might have been cut anyway but I bet Jackson would have received more playing time to iron out whether or not he could hang or not.

Maybe they made this move because we have 19 games in a row coming up now. We're going to need pitchers. But I'm disappointed we DFA'd Jackson. I'm betting he becomes a better hitter than Mullins. He sure was in spring training. 

40 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

More Mike Elias: "It was tough taking Drew off the roster. His versatility has always been attractive and he has shown tremendous effort and had a great attitude. He has a bright career ahead of him. We simply decided we wanted 13 pitchers for the forseeable future..." #Orioles

Is Wright a pitcher?

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I have to agree with this.  Between Trumbo coming off the DL, the potential call-ups of Hays and Diaz at some point, and Nunez and Alberto backing up the infield with Wilkerson and Peterson at AAA, it is difficult to see Jackson staying on the 25-man roster all season.

I would have just dfa Wotherspoon from the 40 man had Straley take his 40 man spot.  I would think he need a start in the minors as he has been out about 15 days.  Give him a turn through in Norfolk then re-evaluate come around the 12th of April.  I doubt Jackson made it through the year anyway though they got some other guys they expect to need a place for in a month or two in Santander, Diaz maybe Mountcastle so guess they think cut bait now.  I wonder if he falls through they don’t try and make trade to get him and stash him in minors off the 40 man.

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If Richie Martin keeps hitting like he has so far, won't the O's wish they had kept Jackson?   I don't understand why you would let an interesting prospect go like this when you have so many bad pitchers that you could cut loose.  

Good call.  

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If Richie Martin keeps hitting like he has so far, won't the O's wish they had kept Jackson?   I don't understand why you would let an interesting prospect go like this when you have so many bad pitchers that you could cut loose.  

The reason they didnt let a pitcher go is they have so many of them that are bad. You need guys to cover innings.  If Davis strike out all the time it doesn't affect other players.  When your pitcher cant make it through an inning it affects other pitchers work loads.

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Martin is a year and a half younger than Jackson, and hit just as well as Jackson in the same league last year.  I believe that the Orioles value Martin's glove more than Jackson's.  Hey, I like Jackson, but Martin looks like the more valuable player of the two.  I think the bottom line on this move is Elias just didn't think it was likely that Jackson would last the season on the 25-man roster and, with 19 games without a day off starting tomorrow, he's elected to go with 13 pitchers for now.

Archived