Drew Jackson Appreciation Thread

mdbdotcom

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

So we now can't sit both Mullins and Davis vs lefties (unless Alberto starts).

Our bench is a backup C, a backup infielder, and 1 of {Mullins, Davis, Mancini, Nunez, Rickard} with the other 4 covering CF, RF, 1B, and DH.

Trumbo is a ticking time bomb.  When he comes back, it will no longer be arguable that Davis is not blocking someone.....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

I wouldn't assume this is the end of Jackson's Orioles career. They could make a trade with the Dodgers to get him back into the system, as they just did with Araujo.

That would be fantastic. Fingers crossed. If we can get Jackson playing every day at AAA that might be the ideal outcome.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Once a Rule 5 player passes through waivers and is returned to his original club he is like any other minor leaguer and can be traded.   That is what happened to Araujo.

But Cots Contracts says: " A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."   The key word here is" keep". To me that means the player can be traded for before going through waivers.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/transactions-glossary/

11 hours ago, weams said:

Cots was just loose with language. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have never found this to be true.

More accurately, you were incomplete with your quote of Cots.    I’m on my phone and won’t retype the whole paragraph containing the sentence you quoted, but it’s clear reading it that a trade with the original club can be worked out only after the player has cleared waivers and been offered back to his original club.    

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Once a Rule 5 player passes through waivers and is returned to his original club he is like any other minor leaguer and can be traded.   That is what happened to Araujo.

But Cots Contracts says: " A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."   The key word here is" keep". To me that means the player can be traded for before going through waivers.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/transactions-glossary/

Your cutting and pasting skills have regressed.

"The drafting club must keep the player on its 25-man active roster for all of the next season or put him on waivers. If a third club claims the player on waivers, the third club also must keep him in the majors all season. If the player clears waivers, he must be offered back to his original club for $25,000. A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More accurately, you were incomplete with your quote of Cots.    I’m on my phone and won’t retype the whole paragraph containing the sentence you quoted, but it’s clear reading it that a trade with the original club can be worked out only after the player has cleared waivers and been offered back to his original club.    

Thank you. Appreciate you clearing that. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Straily is out of options.  Can't be sent to the minors without going to waivers.   Unless he is injured.

So they are going to have to build his innings up in the majors. I guess he had a full Spring Training,so not as bad as Cobb. But has not pitches in two or so weeks. Might be an opener for a start of two .Be interesting to see who gives up more homers,Bundy or Strally.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Sooooooo....we got a chance to get him back or not?

Only if no one else wants to rule five him and the Dodgers like fake money for him. It took 750000 fake bucks for Pedro. So. Limited chances. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

So they are going to have to build his innings up in the majors. I guess he had a full Spring Training,so not as bad as Cobb. But has not pitches in two or so weeks. Might be an opener for a start of two .Be interesting to see who gives up more homers,Bundy or Strally.

Correct. No tune up, no extended spring  FIre. 

8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Your cutting and pasting skills have regressed.

"The drafting club must keep the player on its 25-man active roster for all of the next season or put him on waivers. If a third club claims the player on waivers, the third club also must keep him in the majors all season. If the player clears waivers, he must be offered back to his original club for $25,000. A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."

I also think the money is now 100k and 50k no longer 50 and 25.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Only if no one else wants to rule five him and the Dodgers like fake money for him. It took 750000 fake bucks for Pedro. So. Limited chances. 

That was my understanding of reading all that stuff, just wanted to make sure.  I freely admit I don't know as much as I should about options, arbitration, Rule 5 (I understand the concept of it, just fuzzy on how we could get Jackson back) and the workings on the business side.  My eyes start to roll into the back of my head when I read the rules and explanations of them.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why would a trade after he clears waivers and is sent back the original club be under this rule.  After he  does all that he is a normal minor leaguer.  He is no longer under Rule 5 rules.     

The only way   this sentence makes any sense is if he can be traded before he goes through waivers.

"A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."

Archived