Where are the owners?

atomic

27 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

No competent ownership is going to have a press conference after the first losing streak of the season. Hell, plenty of incompetent ownership's wouldn't even do that. Baseball is a 162 game season, if ownership, no matter how good or bad, gave a press conference each and every single time something went wrong, I think I'd find another team to root for because that's incomprehensibly stupid and overkill. You hire your GM and manager for a reason, and part of that is to be the voice and spokespeople for the organization, and frankly, they're who I want to hear from.

They could have given a press conference before the season started or done some interviews with the press.  I am not sure why people are so angry at this thread. I think this is worthy of a paper in a psychology journal.  If I say something bad about the owners who hide from everybody and  people are taking it personally.  Extremely weird.  Yet the same people post thousands of posts about how Chris Davis should retire.  I don't understand it.  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, atomic said:

They could have given a press conference before the season started or done some interviews with the press.  I am not sure why people are so angry at this thread. I think this is worthy of a paper in a psychology journal.  If I say something bad about the owners who hide from everybody and  people are taking it personally.  Extremely weird.  Yet the same people post thousands of posts about how Chris Davis should retire.  I don't understand it.  

Again, what good would the owners giving a press conference done?  How would it make you feel better?  How would it change that this franchise is going from a top to bottom rebuild?  

You're not sure why people are angry at this thread (I don't think anyone is really angry, btw), I'm not sure what the owners would say to make you feel better about the current situation.

Can you shed some light on what you'd like to hear from them that would make you feel better about this team?

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

They did.  When they introduced Mike Elias to the media and sat with him for the duration of the press conference.  That's all they needed to do, that's all any halfway competent ownership should do.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Again, what good would the owners giving a press conference done?  How would it make you feel better?  How would it change that this franchise is going from a top to bottom rebuild?  

You're not sure why people are angry at this thread (I don't think anyone is really angry, btw), I'm not sure what the owners would say to make you feel better about the current situation.

Can you shed some light on what you'd like to hear from them that would make you feel better about this team?

What the plan is with the team. Are they going to build a real facility in the Domincan.  Are they really going to spend internationally.  Does the team have a long term plan or is it just about cutting expenses.   They could have been at Fanfest.  I am not sure why they can't take the time to attend events like that.  Why did they do the Gausman deal.  Why didn't they spend on the Cuban players over the summer. 

6500 fans last night.  Do they not care about attendance?  I think being up front with the fans and showing some leadership would go a long way to keep fans interested when the team seems to be just trying to cut costs.  I do attend games. I want to see a decent product on the field.  

I went to the game on Sunday. It was mostly Yankee fans and people with small kids who weren't really watching the game.  Those people aren't going to be there going forward. 

Is it really common for owners to be vocal and in the public eye? Even some of the more recognizable owners, like Robert Kraft, basically just show up to collect their trophies. In baseball the GM and head coaching positions are the two that are expected to interact with the public. Your anger just seems misidirected because you're expecting ownership to do something that isn't typically done. 

Just now, atomic said:

What the plan is with the team. Are they going to build a real facility in the Domincan.  Are they really going to spend internationally.  Does the team have a long term plan or is it just about cutting expenses.   They could have been at Fanfest.  I am not sure why they can't take the time to attend events like that.  Why did they do the Gausman deal.  Why didn't they spend on the Cuban players over the summer. 

6500 fans last night.  Do they not care about attendance?  I think being up front with the fans and showing some leadership would go a long way to keep fans interested when the team seems to be just trying to cut costs.  I do attend games. I want to see a decent product on the field.  

I went to the game on Sunday. It was mostly Yankee fans and people with small kids who weren't really watching the game.  Those people aren't going to be there going forward. 

Dude, if you can't recognize what the plan with the team is, you're being intentionally obtuse.  EVERYONE here from the biggest doom and gloomer to the admiral of the Good Ship Lollipop knows what's going on.  

Do you really not know the answers to the questions you're asking?  Or is this just some passive aggressive way of complaining?

On 4/7/2019 at 7:17 PM, atomic said:

I want them to be  better. If they were great why would I post?  I would sit back and enjoy the games.

You understand that they've changed the management and completely committed to a data driven rebuilding program that will take more than 10 games to work don't you?  

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Is it really common for owners to be vocal and in the public eye? Even some of the more recognizable owners, like Robert Kraft, basically just show up to collect their trophies. In baseball the GM and head coaching positions are the two that are expected to interact with the public. Your anger just seems misidirected because you're expecting ownership to do something that isn't typically done. 

We all know that Kraft is a busy man with his business trips to Florida.

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Steve Biscotti and Ted Leonsis are very visible and interactive.  These are the only two owners teams (Capitals, Ravens)  I follow besides the Orioles. They have both won recent championships and the norm is sell outs from the Ravens and the Capitals.  And the Orioles have 6500 fans at the fourth game of the season.  Hershey Bears , a minor league hockey team averages significantly more than that. And have done so for the last 18 years.  

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

6500 fans last night.  Do they not care about attendance?  

The two things that most affect attendance are (1) how did the team do the year before, and (2) how does the team do that year?    The first drives season ticket sales, the second drives walk-up (which is usually the smaller factor).   There is pretty much nothing ownership could have done, in the wake of a 47-win season, not to have a big drop in attendance this year.    The Orioles are engaged in a multi-year rebuild and 2019 attendance is secondary to the objectives.    

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Steve Biscotti and Ted Leonsis are very visible and interactive.  These are the only two owners teams (Capitals, Ravens)  I follow besides the Orioles. They have both won recent championships and the norm is sell outs from the Ravens and the Capitals.  And the Orioles have 6500 fans at the fourth game of the season.  Hershey Bears , a minor league hockey team averages significantly more than that. And have done so for the last 18 years.  

Leonsis also owns the Wizards, don't forget.  

Leonsis also owns the Wizards, don't forget.  

Yeah I don't follow them though.  Stop following them before he became the owner. I think my final straw with them was was when Arena's brought the gun into the locker room.  Haven't watched a game since. 

Just now, atomic said:

Yeah I don't follow them though.  Stop following them before he became the owner. I think my final straw with them was was when Arena's brought the gun into the locker room.  Haven't watched a game since. 

Newsflash, they suck just as much as the Orioles do.  So if you're going to hold him up as the Caps owner, you need to lay blame at his feet as the Wiz owner. 

Newsflash, they suck just as much as the Orioles do.  So if you're going to hold him up as the Caps owner, you need to lay blame at his feet as the Wiz owner. 

But he does meet with the press and is open with fans.  He fired the GM finally.  I didn't say he was a perfect owner I just said that he met with the press and fans and that one of his teams had won a championship recently.  And they have been good a long time so an accessible owner doesn't mean meddling. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

I'm just saying it's definitely not the norm. And again, what part of "this is a rebuild" don't you understand? Fans don't pay to see bad teams. Especially starless teams. The philosophy this team is taking is that they have to get better before they get worse. Would you rather they signed 2-3 middling free agents in the off season in the hopes of fooling the fans that they still have shot? That certainly didn't work out so well in 2018. What they are trying to do is make up for YEARS of international and minor league neglect and that's not going to happen overnight. But if it works out we'll never be this bad again. Also, just some friendly advice. You're criticism would probably be received better if it was constructive. Lets try to be better then sports radio callers. 

Archived