With the first overall pick in the 2019 draft the Orioles select....

To expound upon the depth of the draft, there isn’t a clear cut best pitcher, which is bad is you pick 5-15, but at 20-50, you may still have a shot at the best arm in the draft. 

Same with the group of position players after Rutschman, Vaughn,  Bleday, Witt, Abrams, Bishop, Stott, Carroll and Jung are gone. The next tier is huge and some may be around as late as 71. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t think it’s thin, but I also don’t think you have to go big overslot to find value at 42 or 71.

The big price tag this year is Leiter I guess, but from what I’ve seen he’s not exactly worth the price.

I just think that a high schooler is much better suited for our window, and the only reason I would be willing to go college is because Rutschman looks like a combination of huge ceiling and floor.

25 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

The big price tag this year is Leiter I guess, but from what I’ve seen he’s not exactly worth the price.

I just think that a high schooler is much better suited for our window, and the only reason I would be willing to go college is because Rutschman looks like a combination of huge ceiling and floor.

Spencer Jones is another, was 90-93mph from the left with a 55 curveball last summer, he’s a projectable 6’ 7” and a plus athlete who is probably a top 100 pick as a hitter as well. He had an elbow fracture that caused him to miss most of this spring season, but he’s a first round talent.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I saw that, I don’t think Law has better connections than Callis or McDaniel or BA. I’d imagine if that’s what’s out there on the rumor mill, that it’s with the intended purpose of getting Adley to agree to sign for less than full slot.

Hard to fathom he isn’t the pick based on everything you hear. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Unless they call him up and he says he won't play for the O's, or throws a ridiculous number at them.

Yeah. He also knows he isn’t going to risk going back into draft. If KC doesn’t want him how much could he stand to lose going 3? 

He has some leverage but it is limited some as well. 

From Law's chat today:

Mac: I’m sorry but I can’t wrap my head around a power switch hitting plus defensive catcher and an undersized R/R first base only being evaluated that closely. I just can’t see it
Keith Law: What if the first baseman projects to regularly post .400+ OBPs but the catcher might be in the low .300s? There are obviously thresholds where the two are close or even flipped.

4 minutes ago, Chito said:

From Law's chat today:

Julie: Do you see any reason why the Orioles wouldn’t take Rutschman? Seems like a no-brainer, and Mike Elias seems like a reasonable guy. Are there any doubts that he’s the #1 pick?
Keith Law: He’s not the clear 1-1 guy in my mind. He’s the best prospect, but the gap between him and Vaughn is small, and the question for Elias is whether he’d rather have Rutschman + good HS prospect (at pick 42) or Vaughn + better HS prospect because he can cut a better deal with Vaughn at 1.

I disagree with Keith on the gap between Rutschman and Vaughn (its bigger than that), I also think it’ll be hard to have a strategy based on getting the overslot you want at 42 with the D’Backs having a huge draft pool and multiple picks before 42.

5 minutes ago, Chito said:

From Law's chat today:

Mac: I’m sorry but I can’t wrap my head around a power switch hitting plus defensive catcher and an undersized R/R first base only being evaluated that closely. I just can’t see it
Keith Law: What if the first baseman projects to regularly post .400+ OBPs but the catcher might be in the low .300s? There are obviously thresholds where the two are close or even flipped.

I don't think he's predicting low-.300 OBPs for Rutschman. Or is he?

I agree with Mac here.

2 minutes ago, Chito said:

I don't think he's predicting low-.300 OBPs for Rutschman. Or is he?

I agree with Mac here.

KLaw is being sensationalist.  It's what he does, that and post book reviews and share his mediocre taste in music.

Check out his list, he's two years late on Sunflower Bean.  It's hilarious.  Human Ceremony is a much better album.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I disagree with Keith on the gap between Rutschman and Vaughn (its bigger than that), I also think it’ll be hard to have a strategy based on getting the overslot you want at 42 with the D’Backs having a huge draft pool and multiple picks before 42.

Forgot about Arizona's bounty of picks. They're at 16, 26, 33, and 34. Good lord.

Archived