Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Then it was incorrect. Characters at the end of sentences is called punctuation. 

Period. 

?

Oh, and so as not to derail, Mountcastle? Like the swing.

But language is a fluid thing correct?  Definitions change on a continuing basis.  Literally is now a synonym for figuratively. 

I will agree that punctuation is the preferred term.

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  Tough to figure out if this is a rebuttal, an agreement, or just a typo.

“Top 100 doesn’t mean sure thing.” Ok. Yes? That is true. 

22 year old former first round pick who has successfully hit at every level of the minors tears up AAA and is ranked #2 in all of minors at his position. 

I’ll take a few more of those guys. It’s so odd the way you seem to savor his one failing at the plate. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But language is a fluid thing correct?  Definitions change on a continuing basis.  Literally is now a synonym for figuratively. 

I will agree that punctuation is the preferred term.

Not really. Definitions may change over time, but that is a small percentage of what is probably one of the most complicated languages in the world. 

And because people misuse literally doesn’t mean the definition of that word ever changed. 

I wonder how eloquent RM is when he speaks, or tweets probably. Does he mix metaphors? Will he have a CD like revelation about plate discipline?

Fascinating.

5 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

“Top 100 doesn’t mean sure thing.” Ok. Yes? That is true. 

22 year old former first round pick who has successfully hit at every level of the minors tears up AAA and is ranked #2 in all of minors at his position. 

I’ll take a few more of those guys. It’s so odd the way you seem to savor his one failing at the plate. 

Savor? Hmm.... I’d call it a healthy skepticism. I feel the same way. 

He’ll most likely never be disciplined enough to walk much more than he has in the minors. The question is, will his swing and current approach be good enough to make his insignificant walk rate moot.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Not really. Definitions may change over time, but that is a small percentage of what is probably one of the most complicated languages in the world. 

And because people misuse literally doesn’t mean the definition of that word ever changed. 

I wonder how eloquent RM is when he speaks, or tweets probably. Does he mix metaphors? Will he have a CD like revelation about plate discipline?

Fascinating.

Actually...

(Merriam Webster)

literally

adverb
lit·er·al·ly | \ ˈli-tə-rə-lē

, ˈli-trə-lē, ˈli-tər-lē\

Definition of literally

1 : in a literal sense or manner: such as
a : in a way that uses the ordinary or primary meaning of a term or expression He took the remark literally. a word that can be used both literally and figuratively
b used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description The party was attended by literally hundreds of people.
c : with exact equivalence : with the meaning of each individual word given exactly The term "Mardi Gras" literally means "Fat Tuesday" in French.
d : in a completely accurate way a story that is basically true even if not literally true
2 : in effect : virtually used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice

Of course the actual definition of terms change over time, decimate is the best example that comes to mind. 
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Savor? Hmm.... I’d call it a healthy skepticism. I feel the same way. 

He’ll most likely never be disciplined enough to walk much more than he has in the minors. The question is, will his swing and current approach be good enough to make his insignificant walk rate moot.

So if I have this correct, will the bat be special enough to override the "walk tool"?  Not trying to be a "character" ?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Actually...

(Merriam Webster)

literally

adverb
lit·er·al·ly | \ ˈli-tə-rə-lē

, ˈli-trə-lē, ˈli-tər-lē\

Definition of literally

1 : in a literal sense or manner: such as
a : in a way that uses the ordinary or primary meaning of a term or expression He took the remark literally. a word that can be used both literally and figuratively
b used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description The party was attended by literally hundreds of people.
c : with exact equivalence : with the meaning of each individual word given exactly The term "Mardi Gras" literally means "Fat Tuesday" in French.
d : in a completely accurate way a story that is basically true even if not literally true
2 : in effect : virtually used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice

Of course the actual definition of terms change over time, decimate is the best example that comes to mind. 

Well done. What was that, the college edition? Kidding. However, it’s still misused. It’s figuratively impossible for it not to be.

Eh....

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

So if I have this correct, will the bat be special enough to override the "walk tool"?  Not trying to be a "character" ?

You’re not? Yes, to answer your question.

And I hope you’re not calling RM a tool. Board rules or some such thing. ?

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Well done. What was that, the college edition? Kidding. However, it’s still misused. It’s figuratively impossible for it not to be.

Eh....

Thanks, I used that example since I was aware that the official definition had changed within the last decade.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You’re not? Yes, to answer your question.

And I hope you’re not calling RM a tool. Board rules or some such thing. ?

Depends on who RM is?  My initials are also RM and yes, I am a tool!  Can I be banned for outing myself?  ?

Where is @RShack when we need an interpretation?  

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am hoping we develop some all star caliber players.  I hope Mountcastle becomes one.  He's going to walk about 20 times in a full minor league season.  You can point to the average and homers.  You can mention plus bat speed and an all fields approach.  All those things point to a bright future.  The walks.   How many elite offensive players walk 20 times in a season?  How many all star caliber players walk 20 times in a season.  How many of them were a 1B or LF?    

I know Luke mentioned Starling Marte as a comp but Marte is a plus baserunner and defensive outfielder. How much value would Marte have if he was below average defensively and not much of a stolen base threat on the basepaths? He would be another dime-a-dozen player with a decent bat. 

I would like to know how much of his not walking is his hit tool vs swinging at bad pitches.  If you hit the strikes they throw you, you aren’t going to walk.  Then again, maybe if you do that you have to narrow your strike zone to those balls you can only hit well. 

22 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I know Luke mentioned Starling Marte as a comp but Marte is a plus baserunner and defensive outfielder. How much value would Marte have if he was below average defensively and not much of a stolen base threat on the basepaths? He would be another dime-a-dozen player with a decent bat. 

Even Marte walked 28 times in 436 PA's in AAA. Almost double Mountcastle's total. But like you mentioned, Marte has stolen over 30 bases 5 different seasons, and has plus range. Mountcastle's just been playing 1B until recently.