MASN dispute update

JohnD

53 minutes ago, weams said:

How about the MASN bankruptcy. How does that make you feel? 

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm afraid I'd find a MASN bankruptcy hilarious.

They spend too much on off-season programming?  What did they do start showing TWIB episodes from the 80's?

I find weams' suggestion that MASN could go bankrupt hilarious.   The RSDC already decided that rights fees had to be set at a level whereby MASN would earn a profit.   

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I was widely understood that the initial ask from MASN by the Nationals was designed to blow up MASN and release them from it's teather. 

Could the Nationals do this by declining to sign a TV rights deal with MASN?  Or is there language in there that forces them to use MASN as their TV provider?

27 minutes ago, weams said:

It was widely understood that the initial ask from MASN by the Nationals was designed to blow up MASN and release them from it's teather. 

The RSDC found the Nats’ position absurd and I’m sure the new panel will as well, if the Nats have the temerity to take that position again.   

The sports media landscape is shifting faster than the courts and in perpetuity contracts are. MASN might become more a burden than a boon independent of any help from bad faith RSDC rulings. That said, the Murdoch clan seems to be smelling a buy low situation for RSN's:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-times-dealbook-fox/foxs-murdoch-mulls-buying-back-regional-sports-networks-from-disney-idUSKCN1N65T4

Twenty-First Century Fox Inc Executive Chairman Lachlan Murdoch said Thursday it is still an “open question” whether the company will buy back the regional sports networks it sold to entertainment company Walt Disney Co in July as part of a $71 billion deal.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The RSDC found the Nats’ position absurd and I’m sure the new panel will as well, if the Nats have the temerity to take that position again.   

Indeed. We could hope that. I'd say the  Orioles position with fellow owners and MLB itself has deteriorated since then. Not improved. Heck, we don't even have good old Buck any more. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know you have done a pretty thorough reading of the documents, but I can't really remember where/when you posted about it.  Do you remember what exactly was the Orioles position and what was the Nats position?  I vaguely remember that the O's wanted the rights fees to be around 40 or 45 million, and the Nats wanted some absurd number, but I can't remember what exactly that was, or can I remember what the RSDC arrived at.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I know you have done a pretty thorough reading of the documents, but I can't really remember where/when you posted about it.  Do you remember what exactly was the Orioles position and what was the Nats position?  I vaguely remember that the O's wanted the rights fees to be around 40 or 45 million, and the Nats wanted some absurd number, but I can't remember what exactly that was, or can I remember what the RSDC arrived at.

The O’s wanted $34 mm and the Nats asked for $109 mm.    The RSDC awarded $53 mm for 2012 and then annual increases of about $3 mm.    Here’s a link to the RSDC award:  https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=66tyxyVbc5j3nEqlV2lvTg==

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The O’s wanted $34 mm and the Nats asked for $109 mm.    The RSDC awarded $53 mm for 2012 and then annual increases of about $3 mm.    Here’s a link to the RSDC award:  https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=66tyxyVbc5j3nEqlV2lvTg==

In hindsight, the RSDC award doesn't seem so bad. I suppose the new panel could award the Nats even more. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...