A few things......

bigbird

Anything we can get for Payton is gravy, because you are essentially trading Payton for Nolan Reimold.

I agreed with most of your points and logic, but I'm thinking Luis Montanez is the guy they're going to give Payton's role - as he's a righty hitter. But I hope they do make room for Reimold - this year.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agreed with most of your points and logic, but I'm thinking Luis Montanez is the guy they're going to give Payton's role - as he's a righty hitter. But I hope they do make room for Reimold - this year.

I also think Montanez make a little more sense here. No matter what he does in Baltimore, it's ok. If he's good, great! If he stinks, at least we're not hurting the confidence and development of a top prospect. Plus, I think since he's a little older and been around a bit longer, it may make sense for the remainder of this season to promote him over Reimold. Call upon Nolan with the September callups, but not before then.

Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with that, I would actually rather Montanez come up if payton is traded because I think they will use him as a 4th OF.

When Reimold comes up, I want him to be starting and getting regular AB's.

Wow, what a treat, I wake up to a new "a few things" thread.

I like the idea of Ramon to the fish, if we can get Tankersley and maybe a low-level prospect I'd be happy, especially since it opens up a spot for Wieters.

Anything we can get for Payton is gravy, because you are essentially trading Payton for Nolan Reimold.

I think we could something decent for Bradford, he has been very good this season. I doubt you get LaRoche for him, but you never know.

I don't think we can get much for Walker, he's making 4.5 million this year and next.

It would be a big mistake to not trade Sherrill, I don't know why AM asking price is so high, his value isn't nearly as great as people here make it out to be.

It's not too surprising to me that there isn't much interest in Huff. Most contenders are set at DH and 1st. I think we might be able to get a good package for him in the offseason, especially if he stays hot and finishes with 30-35 HR and a .900 OPS.

Uh, you do realize you posted this at 12:15pm? :eektf: Where do you work and do they have any openings? ;)

There is absolutely no way Ramon doesn't clear waivers. 100% lock he can be moved in August.

That's why we have to pick up some salary to move him to Florida, because they could just take him for free in August. So we pay some salary, and we get back something that could be decent. If we pay a lot of salary, we get more back.

And even if someone did claim him, you let him go to that team and save all the money.

I also think Montanez make a little more sense here. No matter what he does in Baltimore, it's ok. If he's good, great! If he stinks, at least we're not hurting the confidence and development of a top prospect. Plus, I think since he's a little older and been around a bit longer, it may make sense for the remainder of this season to promote him over Reimold. Call upon Nolan with the September callups, but not before then.
Color me awfully skeptical of Montanez doing anything productive at the MLB level.

This is his 3rd stint at AA.

After 167 PAs in AA in '06 where he put up a .369/.438/.489/.927 line, he put up a .224/.287/.371/.658 line in 269 AAA PAs.

He moved back down to AA in '07, and put up a .339/.398/.430/.828 line in 135 PAs. Followed that up with a .256/.332/.410/.742 line in 241 AAA PAs.

I don't think he can hit AAA pitching, yet alone MLB pitching.

From an ESPN chat seconds ago

Scott (Boston): The next closer to get dealt is______?

Rob Neyer: (12:28 PM ET ) George Sherrill? As somebody else pointed out, his value will never be higher than it is right now. A good organization would flip him for a couple of prospects right now.

EDIT: Don't necessarily agree, but thought I'd pass along in interest of full disclosure.

From an ESPN chat seconds ago

Scott (Boston): The next closer to get dealt is______?

Rob Neyer: (12:28 PM ET ) George Sherrill? As somebody else pointed out, his value will never be higher than it is right now. A good organization would flip him for a couple of prospects right now.

EDIT: Don't necessarily agree, but thought I'd pass along in interest of full disclosure.

If Sherrill does the same thing next season (cuts his walks a little) his value would be higher. I am all for trading guys at their peaks, but I think Sherrill hasn't reached it yet.

If Sherrill does the same thing next season (cuts his walks a little) his value would be higher. I am all for trading guys at their peaks, but I think Sherrill hasn't reached it yet.

It's possible, but I've always been a fan of the philosophy that it's far better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.

Archived