A few things......

bigbird

Aaron (Collegeville, PA): I had a colleague tell me the Phillies were looking to fill out their bullpen with Ron Mahay from KC. Any truth to this ambition?

Rob Neyer: (12:57 PM ET ) That's what Jayson Stark is saying, and he would know. Supposedly they're talking about Mahay for shortstop Jason Donald, which would be an *excellent* move for the Royals.

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

:D;)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I suggested earlier, I will believe this when I see it. Jayston Stark has a few more contacts than me (1 million to zero), but still this doesn't make sense at all. If the Phillies were going to trade Donald I would think they would try for a starting pitcher with Donald being one of the people they would trade.

As I suggested earlier, I will believe this when I see it. Jayston Stark has a few more contacts than me (1 million to zero), but still this doesn't make sense at all. If the Phillies were going to trade Donald I would think they would try for a starting pitcher with Donald being one of the people they would trade.

No they'd certainly trade him for Sherrill but it looks like Andy is going to have to come down on his demands which I hope right now are ridiculous and come to an agreement that both teams can benefit from. Just give me Donald + 1 at this point I don't want the freaking Royals stealing Donald.

Just read this on ESPN..Hopefully AM is on the phone.

Left-handed reliever Ron Mahay could be on the verge of heading to the Phillies.

According to clubs that have been speaking with the Royals, they've been having extensive conversations with the Phillies about a trade that would send Mahay to Philadelphia for shortstop prospect Jason Donald, a member of the U.S. Olympic baseball team.

It's believed that as many as 10 teams have contacted the Royals about Mahay, who is signed for next year at $4 million. Most of them have come away with the impression that the Royals aren't motivated to trade him. But in Donald, the Phillies have a commodity for which Kansas City has been searching aggressively. So the fit appears better with the Phillies than with any of the other teams on the Royals' list.

This sounds a bit like Gillick pressuring MacPhail a little...

These two are battle tested veterans squaring off...

This sounds a bit like Gillick pressuring MacPhail a little...

Exactly! He is forcing his hand and calling a bluff. We can only hope that Andy's demands are ridiculous and his "coming down" still gives the O's a great trade package.

Exactly! He is forcing his hand and calling a bluff. We can only hope that Andy's demands are ridiculous and his "coming down" still gives the O's a great trade package.

We'll see. I doubt the Phillies give up one of their best prospects, especially when Utley is nursing a hip injury for a 37 year old 4 million dollar LH reliever...

No they'd certainly trade him for Sherrill but it looks like Andy is going to have to come down on his demands which I hope right now are ridiculous and come to an agreement that both teams can benefit from. Just give me Donald + 1 at this point I don't want the freaking Royals stealing Donald.

This sounds a lot like the Bedard trade. SOP for Andy MacPhail...

This sounds a lot like the Bedard trade. SOP for Andy MacPhail...

But that doesn't address why Happ was pulled. Its possible that Andy said alright Pat, Happ, Donald, and a 3rd prospect off a list that you gave me. Pull Happ now I don't want him hurt and I want him in the deal. I'm sending our guys to check out Donald and if he passes then its good. Then Pat said I want to play hard ball and I'm going to call his bluff by generating false interest in Mahay to see if I can get Andy to come down on his demands for a 3rd prospect and see if I can get him for two.

Guys, i hate to break this to you but Mahay has been better than Sherrill this year.

His WXRL is higher....His BB rate and HR rate are better(although his HR rate is lucky).

He has a much better ERA...he is going longer in his outings...He is better vs righties than Sherrill this year.

The Phils don't need a closer, so the saves may not mean anything to them.

Now, the 3 HUGE things on the side of Sherrill are age, salary and service time.

So, it may be a toss up but if AM is asking for 1-2 other top prospects, Mahay is clearly the way to go.

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

:D;)

If this were true, I would feel something truly wonderful had happened.:laughlol::rofl::2yay-thumb::beerchug1::mwahaha:

Guys, i hate to break this to you but Mahay has been better than Sherrill this year.

His WXRL is higher....His BB rate and HR rate are better(although his HR rate is lucky).

He has a much better ERA...he is going longer in his outings...He is better vs righties than Sherrill this year.

The Phils don't need a closer, so the saves may not mean anything to them.

Now, the 3 HUGE things on the side of Sherrill are age, salary and service time.

So, it may be a toss up but if AM is asking for 1-2 other top prospects, Mahay is clearly the way to go.

Good analysis.

Things like age, salary and service time matter more in the offseason.

Right now the Phils are focusing on what will help them win the most games over the next two months, for the the least cost to the future.

This makes a guy with an expiring contract that his having a very good year the most attractive option around. Will Ohman jumps to mind, and Easy Eddie Guardado too.

Good analysis.

Right now the Phils are focusing on what will help them win the most games over the next two months, for the the least cost to the future.

This makes a guy with an expiring contract that his having a very good year the most attractive option around. Will Ohman jumps to mind, and Easy Eddie Guardado too.

Somehow I envision the warehouse in turmoil with papers flying around, people with four phones up to their ear at once and Andy with his sleeves rolled, a single drop of perspiration falling from his forehead. He looks in the mirror and says to himself calmy "how long can we hold?"

Good analysis.

All things being equal, I would bet Gillick wants Sherrill more but since we are likely asking for a lot more than just Donald, the decision becomes very easy for Gillick.

The only other thing you wonder is how much do the Phils trust Lidge going in the playoffs...Now, he is #1 in WXRL this year and has been lights out...But still, are the recent issues with him in the back of the mind of the Phils?

Somehow I envision the warehouse in turmoil with papers flying around, people with four phones up to their ear at once and Andy with his sleeves rolled, a single drop of perspiration falling from his forehead. He looks in the mirror and says to himself calmy "how long can we hold?"

We don't even know if Donald is a big target for the O's...We have seen conflicting reports.

It is the same thing with LaRoche.

All things being equal, I would bet Gillick wants Sherrill more but since we are likely asking for a lot more than just Donald, the decision becomes very easy for Gillick.

The only other thing you wonder is how much do the Phils trust Lidge going in the playoffs...Now, he is #1 in WXRL this year and has been lights out...But still, are the recent issues with him in the back of the mind of the Phils?

Considering the contract they just gave Lidge, I'd say their level of trust is pretty high.

Archived