A few things......

bigbird

....but he's NOT going to clear waivers
There is absolutely no way Ramon doesn't clear waivers. 100% lock he can be moved in August.

That's why we have to pick up some salary to move him to Florida, because they could just take him for free in August. So we pay some salary, and we get back something that could be decent. If we pay a lot of salary, we get more back.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is absolutely no way Ramon doesn't clear waivers. 100% lock he can be moved in August.

That's why we have to pick up some salary to move him to Florida, because they could just take him for free in August. So we pay some salary, and we get back something that could be decent. If we pay a lot of salary, we get more back.

Agree 100%

It's just a matter of how much does the FO want to pay for Chris Coghlan. They should look at Coghlan as a 1st rd pick and pay the $4MM+ (for Ramon's salary).

Now if you're of the opinion that the guy's getting by on smoke and mirrors and is due for a big falloff, then obviously there should be a sense of urgency to sell high.

Obviously MacPhail doesn't think that way because of the huge price tag for Sherrill. I agree there's no need to move him as he fills a need in our bullpen and is one of the reasons that it has been so successful thus far.

I don't recall saying he should.

I happen to think Sherrill is providing the O's valuable production in an area of weakness, and furthermore I (for one) don't think his trade value will be much different this time next year. At that time he'll still be 2+ years from free agency, and I'd anticipate his numbers probably will be fairly consistent with what they are now... which is to say, decent but not overwhelming.

If you can get good mileage out of the guy while he's here, and still trade him for roughly the same return sometime down the road, then there should be no rush.

Now if you're of the opinion that the guy's getting by on smoke and mirrors and is due for a big falloff, then obviously there should be a sense of urgency to sell high.

This is a good point and I'm sure something AM is considering it. Nevertheless, I fall on the otherside of the penduleum and believe his value may fall, perhaps not significantly, but some next year. And this reduced value may not be the result of any sort of reduced level of performance, but rather due to other factors (e.g., Chris Ray getting to close, at least part of the time; other good lefthanded closers being on the market, ect.) I still go back to its "better to trade a year too early than a year too late," especially when your team is a few years away from being competitive. You've got to maximize your available assets. Obviously, the caveat on this is what other teams are offering AM for George. If it is marginal, then they force AM's hand.

Or, he has a bad week, people realize he's as terrible as he is, and we're stuck with him for next year.

If someone offers to take him off our hands, you absolutely make the deal now. Holding out for the hope of getting something slightly better in a month is absolute insanity. Make the deal while you have the chance. The odds of him being as attractive in a month are much lower than the odds of him bein untradeable.

Now, why say this?

If someone had posted this comment last month or the one before, they would be wrong now, wouldn't they? Ramon has increased his trade value. In fact, if he were to continue trends, he would have a pretty respectable year offensively.

I don't agree with Dave a lot, but this bears repeating.

Do you recall how long AM said it took to put together the Tejada trade? Not long. If two teams what to tango, they can get a deal done pretty fast.

Now, why say this?

If someone had posted this comment last month or the one before, they would be wrong now, wouldn't they? Ramon has increased his trade value. In fact, if he were to continue trends, he would have a pretty respectable year offensively.

Because you've gotta look at it as what is more likely.

If you think Ramon is more likely to continue hitting very well and improve his value rather than the other way around (or remain the same), well, then I guess we just disagree completely.

If you think Ramon is more likely to continue hitting very well and improve his value rather than the other way around (or remain the same), well, then I guess we just disagree completely.

You gotta think the Yankees have him on the radar now after yesterday's performance...

You gotta think the Yankees have him on the radar now after yesterday's performance...
If the Yankees had him on their radar before, he's on their now. If they didn't, he isn't.

One game doesn't change much. And certainly wouldn't make a team go from not being interested in a guy to being interested in a guy, especially not someone they know very well and see all the time anyways.

I think you, and many others, vastly overstate how fluidly a player's value changes.

He is also overworked and lazy behind the plate. Maybe a trade to a contender with a capable backup who's manager is not afraid to play (yes...this is a slight dig at Trembley) will put some spring back into his step.

Wow, what a treat, I wake up to a new "a few things" thread.

I like the idea of Ramon to the fish, if we can get Tankersley and maybe a low-level prospect I'd be happy, especially since it opens up a spot for Wieters.

Anything we can get for Payton is gravy, because you are essentially trading Payton for Nolan Reimold.

I think we could something decent for Bradford, he has been very good this season. I doubt you get LaRoche for him, but you never know.

I don't think we can get much for Walker, he's making 4.5 million this year and next.

It would be a big mistake to not trade Sherrill, I don't know why AM asking price is so high, his value isn't nearly as great as people here make it out to be.

It's not too surprising to me that there isn't much interest in Huff. Most contenders are set at DH and 1st. I think we might be able to get a good package for him in the offseason, especially if he stays hot and finishes with 30-35 HR and a .900 OPS.

Wow, what a treat, I wake up to a new "a few things" thread.

I like the idea of Ramon to the fish, if we can get Tankersley and maybe a low-level prospect I'd be happy, especially since it opens up a spot for Wieters.

Anything we can get for Payton is gravy, because you are essentially trading Payton for Nolan Reimold.

I think we could something decent for Bradford, he has been very good this season. I doubt you get LaRoche for him, but you never know.

I don't think we can get much for Walker, he's making 4.5 million this year and next.

It would be a big mistake to not trade Sherrill, I don't know why AM asking price is so high, his value isn't nearly as great as people here make it out to be.

It's not too surprising to me that there isn't much interest in Huff. Most contenders are set at DH and 1st. I think we might be able to get a good package for him in the offseason, especially if he stays hot and finishes with 30-35 HR and a .900 OPS.

Sleeping in till noon isn't really a healthy thing to do.:eek:;):D

Archived