Pitching Stats

Robh21223

Starters have a respectable 4.86 ERA and a 3-5 record.

The Bullpen has been the main problem pitching to a 7.88 ERA in 12 games. They are 2-2. An alarming stat: Our bullpen has allowed runs in 21 of 38 appearances combined.

Players Of Note (Bullpen):

Mike Wright -- 6.1 IP/9 ER/12 H -- 12.79 ERA -- has allowed runs in 3 of 6 appearances

Miguel Castro -- 7. 0 IP/9 ER/10 H -- 11.57 ERA -- has allowed runs in 4 of 5 appearances

Richard Bleier -- 4.1 IP/7 ER/9 H -- 14.54 ERA -- has allowed runs in 3 of 4 appearnces

Bright Spots:

Paul Fry has a 1.59 ERA in 4 appearences

Jimmy Yacabonis has also pitched well, 7.1 IP/2 ER/8 H -- 2.45 ERA in 3 appearences

John Means has been good also-- 1.59 ERA in 3 appearances covering 5.2 innings

Players Of Note (Starters):

Dylan Bundy has struggled with both his starts being 3.2 IP. he has allowed 6 runs, 8 hits, and 7 walks -- 0-0, 7.36 ERA

Andrew Cashner has been mixed. 2 of the 3 starts, pretty solid. 2-1 5.28 ERA

Alex Cobb has just 1 start, a solid 5.2 IP/4 ER game (mainkly runs were allowed by Mike Wright) -- 0-0, 3.18 ERA

David Hess has been pretty good as well. Hess had a 6.1 IP no hitter in his first start. 1-1, 3.18 ERA as a starter, also has 2 scoreless relief innings

Our biggest need seems to be better bullpen arms. Who are candidates for promotion and who do you think will get shipped out?

The pitching is in shambles 11-12 games in. There really isn’t too much analysis to do. It’s just a complete lack of overall organizational talent 1-20 pitching depth wise. Quite honestly I’m afraid to look past 20 want right now, I just want to believe some of these “prospects” will at least become Hess/Means/Yac. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The pitching is in shambles 11-12 games in. There really isn’t too much analysis to do. It’s just a complete lack of overall organizational talent 1-20 pitching depth wise. Quite honestly I’m afraid to look past 20 want right now, I just want to believe some of these “prospects” will at least become Hess/Means/Yac. 

Orioles games should be rated TV-MA on MASN.  

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When you start to wonder what Tyler Wilson is up to, it’s bad. 

Or seriously think about if Davis could be converted to a bullpen arm to soak up some innings over the course of this season. Does he throw a knuckleball?

And Tyler Wilson would be an upgrade of over half of the pitchers on the team. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Or seriously think about if Davis could be converted to a bullpen arm to soak up some innings over the course of this season. Does he throw a knuckleball?

And Tyler Wilson would be an upgrade of over half of the pitchers on the team. 

Do you remember how bad Tyler Wilson was?

No doubt the bullpen is off to an awful start.   Some of these guys have track records suggesting they’re capable of being much better.    We just have to cross our fingers and hope they weather the storm.   

Bleier has allowed the same number of runs in 4.1 innings as he allowed in 32.2 last year.

Castro has been, in particular, extremely disappointing. He's always been a mixed bag, but he shouldn't be this bad. I don't think his lower arm slot is working at all. I had him as an outside shot at being the regular closer, but he's been just awful. 

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

Castro has been, in particular, extremely disappointing. He's always been a mixed bag, but he shouldn't be this bad. I don't think his lower arm slot is working at all. I had him as an outside shot at being the regular closer, but he's been just awful. 

If you would like some encouragement, last August Castro had a run of 6.2 innings over 7 games in which he allowed 11 ER.    Then he got his act back together and finished the year by allowing 3 ER over 14.2 IP in 11 appearances.   So, we can hope this is just an unfortunate rough patch to start the season and that he will pull out of it.    

The pitching should settle down after the 17th.   Cobb, Cashner, Hess plus two of Bundy, Means or Straily should round out the rotation.  

Givens, Fry and Phillips in late relief.   Yacabonis, Ramirez and one of Bundy, Means or Straily in middle and long relief.   Castro or Lucas can round out the pen.   After the 24th the O's probably go back to a 7 man  pen.

I think the talent is there to have a pretty decent pitching staff backed by a good defense.  The hitting looks like the problem to me.

8 hours ago, Robh21223 said:

Starters have a respectable 4.86 ERA and a 3-5 record.

The Bullpen has been the main problem pitching to a 7.88 ERA in 12 games. They are 2-2. An alarming stat: Our bullpen has allowed runs in 21 of 38 appearances combined.

Players Of Note (Bullpen):

Mike Wright -- 6.1 IP/9 ER/12 H -- 12.79 ERA -- has allowed runs in 3 of 6 appearances

Miguel Castro -- 7. 0 IP/9 ER/10 H -- 11.57 ERA -- has allowed runs in 4 of 5 appearances

Richard Bleier -- 4.1 IP/7 ER/9 H -- 14.54 ERA -- has allowed runs in 3 of 4 appearnces

Bright Spots:

Paul Fry has a 1.59 ERA in 4 appearences

Jimmy Yacabonis has also pitched well, 7.1 IP/2 ER/8 H -- 2.45 ERA in 3 appearences

John Means has been good also-- 1.59 ERA in 3 appearances covering 5.2 innings

Players Of Note (Starters):

Dylan Bundy has struggled with both his starts being 3.2 IP. he has allowed 6 runs, 8 hits, and 7 walks -- 0-0, 7.36 ERA

Andrew Cashner has been mixed. 2 of the 3 starts, pretty solid. 2-1 5.28 ERA

Alex Cobb has just 1 start, a solid 5.2 IP/4 ER game (mainkly runs were allowed by Mike Wright) -- 0-0, 3.18 ERA

David Hess has been pretty good as well. Hess had a 6.1 IP no hitter in his first start. 1-1, 3.18 ERA as a starter, also has 2 scoreless relief innings

Our biggest need seems to be better bullpen arms. Who are candidates for promotion and who do you think will get shipped out?

I don't think there is anything respectable about a 4.86 starters ERA.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't think there is anything respectable about a 4.86 starters ERA.

2016 - 4.72

2017 - 5.70

2018 - 5.46

Everything’s relative, but right now I’d take the 4.86 we’ve had to date vs. what’s behind the curtain for the next 5.5 months.   But we do need more innings from our starters for sure.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

2016 - 4.72

2017 - 5.70

2018 - 5.46

Everything’s relative, but right now I’d take the 4.86 we’ve had to date vs. what’s behind the curtain for the next 5.5 months.   But we do need more innings from our starters for sure.   

What you are pointing out is that the O's starters ERA has not been respectable of a while.  The doesn't make 4.86 a respectable ERA for starters

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What you are pointing out is that the O's starters ERA has not been respectable of a while.  The doesn't make 4.86 a respectable ERA for starters

Like I said, everything’s relative.   Respectable for a contending team?    No.    Respectable compared to what I expected coming into 2019?    Yes.   In fact, I’d be doing cartwheels if we managed a 4.86 starter’s ERA this year.   By the way, our 4.86 starters ERA ranks 10th in the AL, and not even close to the bottom.  Last year 4.86 would have ranked 11th.

Archived