1/10th of the way through O's on pace for 61-101

wildcard

Offense is improved with a 4.44 runs per game.

Pitching has been bad with a 6.30 ERA but I think the pitching will improve. 

A starting rotation of Cobb, Cashner, Hess, Means and Bundy or Straily looks pretty good.

A pen of Givens, Fry, Phillips, Yacabonis,  Bundy/Straily, Ramirez and Castro should be pretty good also.

Cobb is expected back during the Twins series which begins Friday. Ramirez pitched well again today and I hope he is up with the O's in about 5 days.   The O's should return to a 7 man pen on about April 24th when they are passed these 18 consecutive  games.

What is your take on the first 16 games and where the O's are headed?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've faced the Yankees and Sox at less than their best, so I don't think you can predict anything from our current record. Most of our players have never played a 162-game season. We will see as the season grinds on. I still feel good about my prediction of 59 wins, so, that's only a separation of two. But I was counting on some prospects being called up during the season and improving the team. Like I said, we'll see.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Offense is improved with a 4.44 runs per game.

Pitching has been bad with a 6.30 ERA but I think the pitching will improve. 

A starting rotation of Cobb, Cashner, Hess, Means and Bundy or Straily looks pretty good.

A pen of Givens, Fry, Phillips, Yacabonis,  Bundy/Straily, Ramirez and Castro should be pretty good also.

Cobb is expected back during the Twins series which begins Friday. Ramirez pitched well again today and I hope he is up with the O's in about 5 days.   The O's should return to a 7 man pen on about April 24th when they are passed these 18 consecutive  games.

What is your take on the first 16 games and where the O's are headed?

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I see a lot of fifth starter types in the rotation and a lot of bullpen arms with no major league track record of success. If both units ends up being "pretty good" this will not be anywhere close to a 100 loss team. 

My take has not changed since the beginning of the season.  This is still a 100 loss team. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I see a lot of fifth starter types in the rotation and a lot of bullpen arms with no major league track record of success. If both units ends up being "pretty good" this will not be anywhere close to a 100 loss team. 

My take has not changed since the beginning of the season.  This is still a 100 loss team. 

All the pitching doing better means is that they will bring better  trade value in July.   The O's do not seems like they will be in the wild card race even with improved pitching so the sell off will still happen in July.  I think they will lose 100.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

61-101, not 61-91.    I don’t think we’ll do that well unless the pitching steps up.    The offense generally has done as well as can be expected, though that wasn’t the case today. 

One, count 'em, one game ahead of 2018 at this point.   A long season still ahead, made longer with the pitching.

I don't get the discussion of trading 5th-starter types.  When has a contender needed them down the stretch?  They have nominal value.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

All the pitching doing better means is that they will bring better  trade value in July.   The O's do not seems like they will be in the wild card race even with improved pitching so the sell off will still happen in July.  I think they will lose 100.

Which of the arms do you expect to have any real trade value come July other than Mychal Givens?

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Defense is markedly improved.  More well rounded offense.

I don't see the pitching improving though.  I think they can get to 61 wins but everything would have to go right.  

I see an offense that has maybe four guys in at on an average night that are just not ML hitters.

45 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Which of the arms do you expect to have any real trade value come July other than Mychal Givens?

Cobb, Cashner, Givens, Bleier if he is healthy.  Bundy has not looked good enough at this point to bring much in return.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cobb, Cashner, Givens, Bleier if he is healthy.  Bundy has not looked good enough at this point to bring much in return.

You think Cobb and Cashner have value beyond their contracts or do you consider salary relief a good return?

Bleier has no value.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cobb and Cashner would have to start pitching like All-Stars to bring back any kind of return.  They are at best, salary dumps.  More likely, no one is willing to take them on at all because of their contracts.  Bleier has no value and I asked you "other than Givens....." 

I don't see any reason to think the pitching will be pretty good before or after any July trades.  I think that's a bit delusional given the evidence at hand. 

Archived