Montanez, Reimold, Weiters

bluedog

We don't need to rush either of them. It's best if we just wait to bring them up next year.

I disagree, I think it is more beneficial to bring Wieters up for the last couple months of the season to get his feet wet at the ML level.

So that way he doesn't have to adjust the first months of next season, he'll be ready to go in April.

And I don't think it's considered "rushing" when a guy has a 1.049 OPS in AA.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't need to rush either of them. It's best if we just wait to bring them up next year.

they both are proving they are ready. Wieters hasn't missed a beat since being called up. I don't think your rushing anyone who is hitting .350 in his first full season of professional ball. If he can play and is ready call him up, let him learn to play in the majors this fall and be ready to be a huge part of the team next season when the season matters.

IMO, all three should be up in september. but since the baysox are going to make the playoffs it might not happen

And it starts again - first inning tonight against New Britain:

Montanez - HR (run/rbi)

Reimold - BB (run)

Weiters - 2B (rbi)

I'm going to pour fuel on the fire by adding that Montanez' shot would have been out of just about any big league park. He crushed it. He now has 24 on the year and the next closest player in the Eastern League is Jeff Nettles with 19.

I'm going to pour fuel on the fire by adding that Montanez' shot would have been out of just about any big league park. He crushed it. He now has 24 on the year and the next closest player in the Eastern League is Jeff Nettles with 19.

Followed by Reimold with 18.;)

Montanez is now hitting a cool .450 over his last 10 games plus tonight. At some point, what this guy is doing has to start impressing someone in the organization you'd think.

The games that I seen him play, he has hit nothing but bombs. Nothing cheap, it's amazing the power that he posessess.

You would think that Montanez would be the perfect player to view as a sink or swim situation. Bring him up and get him at bats (by whatever flavor of moving veterans around that you prefer) and see what's what.

Elliot

How is this possible?

Can the Orioles really have a prospect that has lived up to his lofty expectations?

He's batting .363 by the way.;)

I'd be willing to my hedge my bets that Ramon wouldn't come close to that average if he were playing in AA right now.

Trading Huff shouldn't have anything to do with it. Just trade Hernandez and cut Payton and Millar.
Based solely on internal options for 2009: Wieters for Hernandez; Moore for Millar; Montanez and Reimold for Payton and Huff; and if we can ever get our pitchers stretched out (both starters and relievers) … Salazar for Bradford. The chink in the armor, however, is a dearth of LH bats (one good counter-argument to the trade Huff suggestion, I grumpily concede!). And no, I most certainly wouldn't cut Millar before the season ends, nor Payton if we can even get 10 cents on the dollar in contract relief (I would find it hard to believe that he has ZERO value to other teams).
Ditto, I don't understand where he's coming from.
He’s anonymous. And you want to know where he’s coming from? :)

Montanez's OPS for the season is now a robust .954 (430 AB). After putting up a .697 OPS in April, he's put up an OPS of 1.034 over the next three months (324 AB).

Even though he's 26, I sure hope that he gets a shot somewhere soon, whether it's at Norfolk or Baltimore. I said this in a previous thread, but he's never had this much sustained success at AA before this season. (Coming into this season, he had accumulated 415 AB at the AA level.)

The scouting reports from the likes of Tony seem to be positive, or at least nobody is saying anything blatantly negative about why he wouldn't succeed at another level. Let him move up and get AB at another level. Let's see what he can do. He's accumulated 457 AB at the AAA level thus far in his career. Maybe he will surprise if given another chance, like he did at AA this year. And if he struggles, then so what? But I think that he's at least earned an opportunity.

Archived