Construct your Orioles robo-starter

Frobby

I got this idea from Fangraphs, which asked Ramon Hernandez which Latino pitcher had the best fastball, curve etc.    Thought I’d do this for the Orioles, but limit it to starters because relievers can just pump the fastball as hard as they want for an inning so it’s not really a fair comparison.    Let’s do two versions, 2000-2019 and all time.

2000-2019

FB:

CU:

SL:

CH:

Other:

All-time:

FB:

CU:

SL:

CH:

Other:

As a reminder, Mike Messina was still here in 2000, so he counts in the “modern” group as well as the all-time group.

Have at it!

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bedard. 

Yeah, pretty much. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

If I can't list Otter's curveball, I don't want to play!

Bingo.

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Completely blanked on him. And if we're limiting it to SPs, is Daniel Cabrera in the running for the best fastball (modern era)? And maybe Scott Erickson for slider? 

Best fastball if location is not an issue.  Pure stuff, he's in the running.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

All-time:

FB: Palmer, for command as much as velocity. 

CU: Steve Stone

SL: ???

CH: Stu Miller

Screwball: Mike Cuellar

This is a good list, and like you, I’m a little stumped in the best slider category.    I’m tempted to go with Palmer or Mussina, because how wrong could you be?

Really loved Bedard’s curve, though.   Certainly the best in the last 20 years for us.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is a good list, and like you, I’m a little stumped in the best slider category.    I’m tempted to go with Palmer or Mussina, because how wrong could you be?

Really loved Bedard’s curve, though.   Certainly the best in the last 20 years for us.

Disagree. Rich. Hill.

17 minutes ago, Santandah said:

Disagree. Rich. Hill.

Rich Hill’s curve ball was wicked but the brief period he pitched for us he couldn’t command it.    It had negative value per the two measures tracked by Fangraphs.  

Archived