Alex Wells 2019

Frobby

On 4/21/2019 at 12:01 AM, Mendoza Line said:

And he still walked 3 batters? They must have really worked him

He was missing mostly glove side and just missing, so it's not like he was all over the place. He got a decent amount of swings and misses on his fastball up which suggests good spin rate since he doesn't have plus velocity. His curveball was pretty good though it still rolls up there too much. 

I still don't understand why he doesn't throw that many changeups still. I didn't see many but I didn't have a radar gun and it could have been just straight changes on occasion. either way, that's the pitch he'll need to pitch in the big leagues and I'd like to see him use it a lot more.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, Tony-OH said:

I had heard he "tweaked something" but the new regime is very close hold on minor league injuries.. 

It was an oblique injury early in Spring Training that kept him back in extended.  He needed to build up his innings before being assigned.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Totally Wellsian performance tonight: 7 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K’s.    Just pounded the strike zone, 60 strikes in 80 pitches.    80 pitches in 7 innings is pretty darned efficient.   

I watched it, and it was exactly what the stat line looked like. I think he needs a cutter/slider or a split change to miss more bats to profile as more than a middle reliever. Just not missing any bats is a hard trick in the majors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wells had kind of a rough start but was able to limit the damage today: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 2 K’s.     Only 50 of 87 pitches were strikes, a low total for Wells.     He benefited from two DP’s (one on a fly out where a runner got thrown out trying to advance) and a caught stealing. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wells had kind of a rough start but was able to limit the damage today: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 2 K’s.     Only 50 of 87 pitches were strikes, a low total for Wells.     He benefited from two DP’s (one on a fly out where a runner got thrown out trying to advance) and a caught stealing. 

Even when he isn't at his best, he still seems to limit the damage.

Wells had a terrific start for Bowie today, tossing 7 scoreless innings, allowing 3 hits and a walk while striking out 7.    They let him go 96 pitches, as the final out came on a 10-pitch battle ending in a called strike three.      Unfortunately he’ll be no-decisioned, as Bowie hasn’t scored either.   

• Upvote 1

You know what’s annoying?   The Baysox have a twitter feed where they post game updates about once an inning, but they didn’t even mention that Wells had been pulled, much less explain what happened or give any other information about his condition.   

• Upvote 1