Alex Wells 2019

Frobby

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The only O's prospect he's been fairly complimentary about is DL Hall. Even with Rutschman, Law's said things like "he's not a generational prospect" and "definitely not on the level of Posey as a catching prospect."

Truth is, the median outcome for Rutschman is certainly well below what Posey turned out to be.   But to say that on draft day Rutschman was not the prospect that Posey was when he was drafted is absurd.   

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Six shutout innings tonight, 5 hits, no walks, 4 strikeouts.   Classic Wells.

I know it is much easier to get AA batters out on underwhelming stuff, but Wells, outside the K numbers is just dominating and is a year younger for the league. There's got to be something there right?

52 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

I know it is much easier to get AA batters out on underwhelming stuff, but Wells, outside the K numbers is just dominating and is a year younger for the league. There's got to be something there right?

I’m not going to lie, he’s my favorite pitching prospect to follow in the whole organization.    He gives you a good outing just about every time out.    His upside probably isn’t as high as some others, but I will not be surprised at all if he has a long, successful career as a starter.   

• Upvote 1

If Law just says that any random O's pitching prospect won't be a successful major league starter he has a very high chance of being right and recent history is on his side.  When the O's successes at developing starting pitching are two high 1st round picks Gausman and Bundy, it looks like Law is right more often than not.  Especially when Gausman looks like an ace one start and AAAA pitcher the next (I assume that pattern has continued with Atlanta).  Bundy looks a pitcher who has lost his stuff and struggles in just about every outing.  He would already be in the bullpen for most major league teams. 

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Law just says that any random O's pitching prospect won't be a successful major league starter he has a very high chance of being right and recent history is on his side.  When the O's successes at developing starting pitching are two high 1st round picks Gausman and Bundy, it looks like Law is right more often than not.  Especially when Gausman looks like an ace one start and AAAA pitcher the next (I assume that pattern has continued with Atlanta).  Bundy looks a pitcher who has lost his stuff and struggles in just about every outing.  He would already be in the bullpen for most major league teams. 

But (according to KLaw) Gausman's troubles were because the O's moved him on the pitching rubber. 

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Not a great day from Wells:

5.2 innings, 9 hits (1 home run), 5 runs (all earned), 4 strike outs and 0 walks.

90 pitches, 66 strikes.

The home run was a solo shot to open the 6th. The rest of the runs were just pieced together.

Took the loss.

Worst game of the year for him.   First time he’s given up more than 3 runs all season (and he’d only done that three times).

On the bright side, if 5.2 IP, 5 ER is your worst outing of the year, you’ve obviously had a pretty good year.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Worst game of the year for him.   First time he’s given up more than 3 runs all season (and he’d only done that three times).

On the bright side, if 5.2 IP, 5 ER is your worst outing of the year, you’ve obviously had a pretty good year.   

Not only that, but 0 walks during his worst game.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Not only that, but 0 walks during his worst game.

He’s thrown 25 innings (4 starts plus one out) since his last walk, which came on July 1.   One walk this month, which as we know, is not his all time low.    Nor is this his longest streak without a walk - not close.    

12:48  

12:49

Rick: Why no love for Alex Wells? 1.83 ERA in the Eastern League at age 22 yet doesn’t make the Orioles’ top 35 prospects? What don’t you like besides the 88-91 mph fastball?

12:48

Eric A Longenhagen: https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=y…

Eric A Longenhagen: nobody does it at 88-91 from the jump. Just about all of these guys had big stuff at one point and made relevant adjustments as it dwindled.

Eric A Longenhagen: it’s hard to get outs sitting 88-91, most of the high school arms at PG National throw that hard.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/eric-longenhagen-chat-7-26-19/

So, I guess it’s all about the fastball.    Hope he proves them wrong.

• Upvote 1