Really stupid stuff

wildcard

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not that it matters but Elias is into SSS.  

I don’t believe that even a little bit.   Look at how he sent all the players with good spring training numbers back to the minors on the grounds that past MiL performance was more important.    

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Cobb was rushed back. I'm not sure why that was necessary, and if there's one criticism I have of Elias so far it's rushing guys from injury. Bleier same thing.

I think they rushed him back because they're desperate for innings. The entire staff is already running on fumes and April isn't even over.  They need to stop putting position players on the mound, it's not fair to anybody.

My biggest complaint with Elias is he didn't do much to put together enough pitching depth to get to the season. I'm all for taking things down to the studs, but Elias maybe took out a load-bearing stud by accident here and there.

4 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think they rushed him back because they're desperate for innings. The entire staff is already running on fumes and April isn't even over.  They need to stop putting position players on the mound, it's not fair to anybody.

My biggest complaint with Elias is he didn't do much to put together enough pitching depth to get to the season. I'm all for taking things down to the studs, but Elias maybe took out a load-bearing stud by accident here and there.

Our bullpen (and starters...)

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe that even a little bit.   Look at how he sent all the players with good spring training numbers back to the minors on the grounds that past MiL performance was more important.    

Sorry I don't see the connection between Elias sending minor leaguer down because of service time and SSS. They are two different things.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sorry I don't see the connection between Elias sending minor leaguer down because of service time and SSS. They are two different things.

Sorry I don't see how you can say Elias is sending down minor leaguers because of service time.

He might be, he might not be.

20 hours ago, theocean said:

They need to stop putting position players on the mound, it's not fair to anybody.

I don't understand this statement.  You have a game where the leverage index is zero - no team, or almost no team, in major league history has ever overcome that kind of deficit.  The game is all but over.  Why burn even a mopup man in that situation when you can use a position player?  What's the downside?  That they lose 19-4 instead of 15-4, and the Orioles community is 1% more embarrassed?

The National League uses pitchers to hit every single game and they survive the embarrassment.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't understand this statement.  You have a game where the leverage index is zero - no team, or almost no team, in major league history has ever overcome that kind of deficit.  The game is all but over.  Why burn even a mopup man in that situation when you can use a position player?  What's the downside?  That they lose 19-4 instead of 15-4, and the Orioles community is 1% more embarrassed?

The National League uses pitchers to hit every single game and they survive the embarrassment.

I like position players pitching in blowouts. Especially marginal ones. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I like position players pitching in blowouts. Especially marginal ones. 

Blowouts suck, they really do, hard to root and support your team, when its batting practice.

Not like the Orioles are the only team to have to use a position player in time of need.

Cubs did it with 3 position players last season in a single game. Wonder how many Cub fans was embarrassed.

But with the rule changes coming in 2020, you will most likely no longer see a position player on the mound.

One of the most significant alterations for the 2020 season will affect pitching. Starters and relievers will be required to face a minimum of three batters or to end a half-inning, except for “incapacitating injury or illness.”

Castro is not doing well, but he is an established major league pitcher. If something isn't right with him, he could go on DL and rehab. Otherwise, he is a human being with an ego and you don't just demote him for a bad start to the season. Also, he has only given up 1 ER in his last four appearances.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:57 AM, wildcard said:

Not that it matters but Elias is into SSS.  

Well I think it very much does matter, no good baseball man (or woman as the case may be) should be "into" SSS, but thankfully I'm pretty sure he's not.

Honestly all this hand-wringing over some of these moves - I don't know how much Elias is even paying attention to the current roster.  I'm sure that he is to some extent, and maybe we can try to glean some info from some of these moves, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's not paying a ton of attention to the current roster makeup.  He's got much bigger fish to fry trying to get this organization set up for long term success.

Archived