24 pitchers in 24 games

Frobby

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

How long is Doug Brocail’s leash when does he have to start answering the tough questions shouldering the blame and taking the accountability of this staff?If the pitching doesn’t improve and continues on this path will a move be made to bring in a new pitching coach?

That shouldn’t happen. IMO 

3 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

How long is Doug Brocail’s leash when does he have to start answering the tough questions shouldering the blame and taking the accountability of this staff?If the pitching doesn’t improve and continues on this path will a move be made to bring in a new pitching coach?

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised he's still here.  I heard Mejdal has at least two algorithms demonstrating that bad pitching staffs are always the fault of bad pitching coaches.

I don’t give a flying hoot if they’re single A guys or if they’re all star caliber pitchers it’s your job as the pitching coach to get the most out of what you got and I’m sorry I don’t believe that’s happening right now I believe these guys are better maybe not much better but are better than how they’re pitching right now with a couple guys being the exception. I didn’t think it was possible but guys like Bundy have regressed and so has Castro. These guys should be getting better not worse and the coach needs to shoulder some of that blame. It’s only April 23 so it’s to early to call for his head along with to early to start passing judgement need more time for results of his work with the staff to show but if we’re halfway thru the season and no progress has been made and I’m not talking a lot but just some improvement just signs of getting better then maybe we start wondering if he was the right man for the job. This has been some of if not the worst pitching I’ve seen in 30 years.  I’ll note I wasn’t  a fan of the hire in the first place his resume to me isn’t that impressive. I wonder if he was a guy Hyde/Elias coveted or was it because it was so late in the offseason and our options were limited that he was hired. However,  I hope he and the staff succeed and that he’s with us for years to come but I’m just not sold on him on the sss so far. Hell if Cashner wins 20 sign him to 10 year extension.

21 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I don’t give a flying hoot if they’re single A guys or if they’re all star caliber pitchers it’s your job as the pitching coach to get the most out of what you got and I’m sorry I don’t believe that’s happening right now I believe these guys are better maybe not much better but are better than how they’re pitching right now with a couple guys being the exception. I didn’t think it was possible but guys like Bundy have regressed and so has Castro. These guys should be getting better not worse and the coach needs to shoulder some of that blame. It’s only April 23 so it’s to early to call for his head along with to early to start passing judgement need more time for results of his work with the staff to show but if we’re halfway thru the season and no progress has been made and I’m not talking a lot but just some improvement just signs of getting better then maybe we start wondering if he was the right man for the job. This has been some of if not the worst pitching I’ve seen in 30 years.  I’ll note I wasn’t  a fan of the hire in the first place his resume to me isn’t that impressive. I wonder if he was a guy Hyde/Elias coveted or was it because it was so late in the offseason and our options were limited that he was hired. However,  I hope he and the staff succeed and that he’s with us for years to come but I’m just not sold on him on the sss so far. Hell if Cashner wins 20 sign him to 10 year extension.

This is still a SSS and even you admit that the pitchers "may be not much better" than they're pitching now.  Bundy's velocity continues to be down and I don't think you can blame that on the pitching coach.  

23 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

This is still a SSS and even you admit that the pitchers "may be not much better" than they're pitching now.  Bundy's velocity continues to be down and I don't think you can blame that on the pitching coach.  

You also can't blame the coach for a player failing to execute a pitch.

The coach can work on the pitchers mechanics and game plan against opposing players, but if the pitcher hangs a slider over the plate instead of throwing it down and away like he should, that's on the player.

Part of what I love about being a fan are my overreactions lol but This pitching has just been outright horrid but tonight was absolutely brilliant! Cashner has been the one guy who Ive been impressed with all year and feel like every time he’s on the mound we’re going to have a chance to win. I’m anxious to see how Means does tomorrow because I like the little I’ve seen from him.

5 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

You cant polish a turd.  Going into the season we knew the pitching would be terrible. I am not sure why you want to blame the pitching coach.  We only had three starters and 3 relievers with any sort of success in the past.  Bundy cant throw the ball over 90 mph and Bleier hasnt recovered from his injury.

That leaves Cobb and Castro for guys being worse than expectations.  Cobb was just as bad last season at this time. I am not sure what is wrong with Castro.

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Free pass? This pitching staff is horrible. How exactly do you coach up a pitching staff full of AAAA players?

And it doesn’t help that Cobb is seemingly made of paper-mache now and is already reaching into his list of excuses. 

Also this year isn’t about trying to win. Elias didn’t try to assemble the best pitching staff possible this year, and he isn’t losing any sleep over the team’s performance. 

I’d even argue with the AAAA thing. A lot of these guys have been smacked around in AAA too in recent seasons. 

12 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

I agree but should the pitching coach get a free pass?

Yes.  Remember Leo Mazzone, Greatest Pitching Coach in History?  How much magic did he work with Daniel Cabrera and Russ Ortiz?

By the way, the record for most pitchers used in a season is 40, by the 2014 Rangers and 2017 Mariners.  Which I see was already posted by TGO.

Archived