O's players pace after 15% of the season

wildcard

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

If Mancini finishes at 40 homers, even 30+, I wonder if attitudes around here about him will have changed.

I'd hope so, though Mancini has plenty of supporters here.

By the way, Mancini hit 6 homers in the first 12 games, and 0 in the last 12.   He's still managed a .333/407/.500 slash line in those latter 12.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he puts up a 2016 Trumbo season it won't change much for me.

C'mon.  Big difference between a young Mancini putting that up and Trumbo.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sometimes?

Ok, all the time.  But you're more like a fuzzy little Koala.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

By the way, Mancini hit 6 homers in the first 12 games, and 0 in the last 12.   He's still managed a .333/407/.500 slash line in those latter 12.

Maintaining that slash line is huge.  Hopefully a good sign.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There goes the 81 HR season.?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've said before that I see him as a 1-2 win guy.  Trumbo's 2016 fell in that range.

If the only way you provide value is with the bat, that bat needs to be very good.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've said before that I see him as a 1-2 win guy.  Trumbo's 2016 fell in that range.

If the only way you provide value is with the bat, that bat needs to be very good.

Well, he managed to be worth 2.3 wins in 2017, OPSing at .826.    So I’d guess that at .850+ he might reach 3 wins.   

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't disagree but he's already at 1.2 WAR this year so far.  Of course there's a hell of a lot more baseball to be played so we'll see where he ends up. 

I haven't seen enough of him at 1st base to know if he can provide good defense there.  I think he ultimately winds up at DH, not sure if he's a guy that needs to be in the field to be a productive hitter though.  

I don't hope for a lot when it comes to this sport and this franchise, but I am hoping that we are witnessing a solid guy making a leap into becoming a stud hitter.  Last year, perhaps the knee injury was worse than he let on. If his rookie year was what he could truly do then maybe, just maybe, he's making the leap.  After all, he's been around now, the book is out on him, pitchers have seen him before.  He's seen them too and he's making them pay.

Ok, that was enough positivity.  Back to being snarky and expecting disappointment.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I also don’t see Mancini hitting for a lower average like Trumbo. He is going to hit more doubles and run the bases better. I take the comparison as an insult. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I also don’t see Mancini hitting for a lower average like Trumbo. He is going to hit more doubles and run the bases better. I take the comparison as an insult. 

I take most things CoC says as an insult, but have grown immune to it over the years.  Sticks and stones, that old chestnut.

I agree with your take.  I think he will walk a little bit more too.  That's not a tall task by any stretch, but combine that with hitting more doubles (and really, just more hits in general) and I think he's a significantly better bat than Trumbo in any stretch of Trumbo's career.  

Mancini is actually leading the league in hits right now with 33.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I take most things CoC says as an insult, but have grown immune to it over the years.  Sticks and stones, that old chestnut.

I agree with your take.  I think he will walk a little bit more too.  That's not a tall task by any stretch, but combine that with hitting more doubles (and really, just more hits in general) and I think he's a significantly better bat than Trumbo in any stretch of Trumbo's career.  

Mancini is actually leading the league in hits right now with 33.

I am perhaps the biggest Trey fan....except for his mom.    I just hope he stays healthy and has a year that exceeds most of the expectations.  

Archived